Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Banjo-guy

Conditioning/ storage at 55 degrees

I bottle primed an October Fest. from Mr. Beer. It was at 67-69 degrees for 4 weeks.
I have it stored at 55 degrees right now.
Will the beer continue to improve at this lower temperature?

Yes, it will clear but at some point, it'll have reached it's zenith. I think it's time to put one in the fridge for 24-48 hours and try one.

I think what meant to ask was if 55 degrees is too cold to expect further improvement in the strored beer. Maybe I should store at 67 for a couple of months.

I think most folks say about 70F is optimal.

I have the opposite problem in that my bottles are in a closet will probably be in the eighties in the summer and there is nowhere to put that many bottles at a constant 70 degrees.

"Brewbirds" post=358232 said:

I think most folks say about 70F is optimal.

I have the opposite problem in that my bottles are in a closet will probably be in the eighties in the summer and there is nowhere to put that many bottles at a constant 70 degrees.

Would you be able to get one or more large ice chests to condition your beer in and keep them cool with frozen water bottles? I'm having wonderful luck with that method here in our hot weather.

At last count I had 122 bottles. I am going to try and get the my dogs vet to save me some styrofoam ice chests but most of the ones they get are to shallow so it could take a while.

Banjo Guy, if you have coolers and space you could probably do the same but with warm water bottles,
right Joe?

"Brewbirds" post=358246 said:

At last count I had 122 bottles. I am going to try and get the my dogs vet to save me some styrofoam ice chests but most of the ones they get are to shallow so it could take a while.

Banjo Guy, if you have coolers and space you could probably do the same but with warm water bottles,
right Joe?

Definitely. Works both ways. I've cold crashed LBK's in my coolers at 38 degrees. I've warmed them up to spur on stuck fermentations with hot tap water in plastic bottles, and now I'm doing true lager fermentations in them. I got 5 of the 48 qt ones from Walmart for $16 each. One of the best investments I ever made.

I can just move them inside from the garage and the the temperature will be 67.

As long as you carbed/conditioned for 4 weeks at the warmer temp, it's fine to keep them cooler now.

Considering the yeast that MB uses for the oktoberfest is an ale strain and not a lager strain I would suggest placing them in a warmer place. I recommend 68* but 67 should be fine as well. If they were using a true lager strain then 55* would be great.

Guest System Admin

I think any further conditioning or improvement will be veeeeeery slow at 55F.

As long as you know that.....you're golden.