Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ckd77

straight from the bottle.

I was wondering how many of you drink your homebrew straight from the bottle?

I don't want to disturb the yeast with every sip. Also like to view and admire it in a fancy glass.

"m3n00b" post=358348 said:

I don't want to disturb the yeast with every sip. Also like to view and admire it in a fancy glass.

+1. I really enjoy drinking it out of a Tulip or Pint Glass. I personally feel you get a better appreciation of the aroma and color. Also, you only get a wonderful head if you pour it into a glass!

Nope. Never from the bottle. I like to see the beauty of my homebrewing handiwork in a nice pint glass. B)

I remember a post from bpgreen about a year or so ago where he thought it was possible without disturbing the trub if the beer was cold crashed prior to bottling and the bottle was left in the fridge for a couple of weeks before drinking, solidifying the trub.

I can't imagine anyone actually doing it, though...why risk it?

There is also a product on the market, I believe from Australia, that allows you to carb and condition your beer upside down and the trub settles in a small, removable container, making it possible to drink straight from the bottle.

I've done both. When I'm at home I enjoy it out of a nice beer clean pint glass so I can enjoy the whole experience of looks, taste, aroma, nice foamy head, and watching the beautiful lace. How ever I have taken some of my home brew to a few parties and enjoyed it straight from the bottle.

I do prefer it from the glass.

I have had it once or twice out of the bottle in my beginning days of homebrewing, but every time you drink from the bottle, you shake up the yeast/trub at the bottom and it gets put back into suspension in the beer. This changes the flavor of the beer entirely. I've learned it's best to drink homebrew in a glass and pour in one smooth motion, leaving behind the last 1/2 inch or so so that you don't pour any of the trub into the glass (except in the case of some wheats where you would intentionally stir up the trub in the bottle and then pour).

I rarely bottle but I pour. I like to see the head and perv on the lacing. I wear a 'drool-guard' so that I don't drool into the beer.

I always pour homebrew into a glass. I want to avoid drinking the yeast. FWIW, I prefer to drink all beer from a glass. I like to full effect of taste and fragrances coming together.

"4stringdude" post=358375 said:

I prefer to drink all beer from a glass. I like to full effect of taste and fragrances coming together.

+1.

Call me a beer nerd, but a finely-crafted beer deserves to be enjoyed from a glass (and at the correct temperature) so that you get the fullness of the aroma affecting the taste.

BMC is best from the bottle (and very cold) so that you experience as little of the "flavor" as possible. It's sort of like holding your nose when you have to take a dose of nasty-tasting liquid medicine.

I always pour to a glass for the reasons stated above. Better aroma too. I leave the last quarter inch or so in the bottle to not get any trub clouding up the glass..

However, I often drink that last swallow from the bottle after pouring. I know.. "gross!" A lot of you might think. But I enjoy every drop of my beer and like to see what the yeast tastes like. Plus there are nutrients in there. Be careful, some say drinking bottle trub has undesireable side effects. It doesn't seem to affect me at all in that department, although my wife might argue with that sometimes...

For the reasons stated by our brewing comrades, I use a glass. Even commercial beers I now pour into a glass, because it improves the whole experience.

"manosteel9423" post=358365 said:

There is also a product on the market, I believe from Australia, that allows you to carb and condition your beer upside down and the trub settles in a small, removable container, making it possible to drink straight from the bottle.

http://sedexbrewing.com/

i agree with everyone above,i keep 4 pint glasses in the freezer. i really do enjoy a frosty mug of home brew!
:cheers:

Very rarely do I drink homebrew from the bottle. Only time would be when away from the house and no other option was available.

Rick

For the 3 years I have been making homebrew I can honestly say I've never tried one direct out-of-the bottle. I do drink some can beer, but for me to really enjoy a good beer it needs to be poured in a glass. Maybe that goes back to my younger Days when I first started/legally drinking beer over 37 years ago). Had .25 drafts at my local bar when I was 18. Could go there with a $5.00 dollar bill and play some pool, play the jukebox
and drink some beer.

Only time I have ever wanted to drink straight from my homebrew bottle is when I am Constipated...kinda like:

[attachment=12502]liquidplumber.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12503]elephant.jpg[/attachment]

"berryman" post=358473 said:

For the 3 years I have been making homebrew I can honestly say I've never tried one direct out-of-the bottle. I do drink some can beer, but for me to really enjoy a good beer it needs to be poured in a glass. Maybe that goes back to my younger Days when I first started/legally drinking beer over 37 years ago). Had .25 drafts at my local bar when I was 18. Could go there with a $5.00 dollar bill and play some pool, play the jukebox
and drink some beer.

yeah, you could get a pitcher for a buck.

all kidding aside. yes the trub will give you gas at the least, probably the runs . this too will pass after a few weeks/months your body will adapt.(took me 6 weeks in germany) we made these brews, so we want to taste them fully. a significant portion of our sense of taste comes from our sense of smell. you can't really smell a beer in a bottle. so we prefer a glass. however just like brewing the beer. it's your beer, do what feels right.

I will with my summer session brews. I do chill them for 3-4 weeks, then when I drink them, most the trub stays locked up on the bottom. If not, it adds vitamins.

"Jim Johnson" post=358504 said:

all kidding aside. yes the trub will give you gas at the least, probably the runs . this too will pass after a few weeks/months your body will adapt.(took me 6 weeks in germany) we made these brews, so we want to taste them fully. a significant portion of our sense of taste comes from our sense of smell. you can't really smell a beer in a bottle. so we prefer a glass. however just like brewing the beer. it's your beer, do what feels right.

Ya know so far I've had the gas (just ask my wife) but not the other (knock on wood).

"Nightman" post=358549 said:

Ya know so far I've had the gas (just ask my wife) but not the other (knock on wood).

the other usually hit me the next morning, all part of the hangover. the trub is full of vitamin b and protein.

"Jim Johnson" post=358552 said:

"Nightman" post=358549 said:

the other usually hit me the next morning, all part of the hangover. the trub is full of vitamin b and protein.

Maybe that why, I just don't get hangovers. The worst I get is cotton mouth and hunger. Once I eat and drink some water I'm fine and ready to go again.

I always use a glass. I'm still so pumped that I brewed beer, I hold it up to the light after every drink.
By the way folks, is trub pronounced like "troob"? I heard it that way in a video and that's not how I would have pronounced it.

"TheGrove" post=358559 said:

I always use a glass. I'm still so pumped that I brewed beer, I hold it up to the light after every drink.
By the way folks, is trub pronounced like "troob"? I heard it that way in a video and that's not how I would have pronounced it.

Yes its supposed to be pronounced 'troob' but I say 'trub' instead. Otherwise its close to rhyming with another word that usually gets me into trouble. :P

I just say keg or bottle shyte. :dry:

"TheGrove" post=358559 said:

good question. i say trub ending like the ub in bub. don't know if it's right, but that's how i say it

at home i use a glass and suggest to people i give beer to do the same. fishing on my kayak in the open ocean, it's straight out of the bottle. the troob doesnt bother me.

"jrflowers2" post=358438 said:

i agree with everyone above,i keep 4 pint glasses in the freezer. i really do enjoy a frosty mug of home brew!

Hmmmm. I tend to take it in the other direction and give the beer a chance to warm up a bit (ales quite a bit) before drinking. It comes out of my taps at 39*F and bottles out of the fridge a little cooler. For most of the styles I enjoy, the best consumption temp (to taste all of the flavors) is around 47-54*F.

I gots to agree with u on that BF. I like to pour a pint and let is sit 5-10 minutes to warm up. I like them between 50-55 degrees. My basement storage room is usually round 52~54 degrees and my beer is about the perfect temp in my opinion.

If I'm drinking a hefeweizen, I'll usually pour most of it in a glass, but swirl the last few ounces in the bottle to suspend the trub, then pour that in the glass. But yeah, I don't drink out of the bottle.

"BigFloyd" post=358594 said:

"jrflowers2" post=358438 said:

Hmmmm. I tend to take it in the other direction and give the beer a chance to warm up a bit (ales quite a bit) before drinking. It comes out of my taps at 39*F and bottles out of the fridge a little cooler. For most of the styles I enjoy, the best consumption temp (to taste all of the flavors) is around 47-54*F.

i cant drink warm beer for some reason,i like it as cold as possible

"ckd77" post=358346 said:

I was wondering how many of you drink your homebrew straight from the bottle?

Does a Red Solo cup count? Kidding. Seriously, I prefer to pour all my beers in a glass. I will use a Red Solocup if a glass isn't handy.

I generally drink from some sort of beer glass, but I'm not against drinking right from the bottle, as long as its a 12oz bottle or smaller. The amount of trub in those bottles is pretty small and never taken away from my beer drinking experience.

"evily" post=358363 said:

Nope. Never from the bottle. I like to see the beauty of my homebrewing handiwork in a nice pint glass. B)

+1 gazillion