Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tbwrangler2000

Samuel Adams clone

I don't have a good Boston Lager recipe but I do have a word of warning. Making any Lager requires you to maintain a steady temperature of ~50F (possibly lower). Having temperature control is a necessity when brewing a lager and is generally harder than brewing an ale (as ale yeasts generally ferment at higher temps.).

If by easy you meant "easy to brew", I'd look at some simple ale recipes that are to your liking.

Anyways, an expert should chime in to help. Good luck!

:cheers:

3r2jed.jpg

Lol ok. In all seriousness, as JonV stated, you really need to be able to control temperatures down to the 50s and even lower for the storage period following fermentation. Not recommended for beginning brewers. If you really want to try, you can download CloneBrews, 2nd Edition eBook from Amazon, or buy the print version. It has a recipe for Sam Adams Boston Lager clone, 5 gallon batch.

"tbwrangler2000" post=358811 said:

Anybody now of a great Samuel Adams Boston Lager clone recipe? I want to find something easy and around 5% abv.

I've honestly never tried it, but I have a sinking feeling that that Mr. B "Patriot Lager" Deluxe Refill comes pretty close to what you're requesting.

Get that, swap out the provided yeast for some US-05 and ferment it as close to the low-60s as you can get it and I bet you'll be satisfied with the results :chug:

Having made two batches with Patriot Lager, I agree it's not anything like Sam Adams. I made Jamaica Mon (not so great) and Blue Patriot (good).

MAYBE? The powerful Patriot recipe If uou add some tetnang and saaz hops
And Lager ferment

"VTGroff" post=358896 said:

"tbwrangler2000" post=358811 said:

Anybody now of a great Samuel Adams Boston Lager clone recipe? I want to find something easy and around 5% abv.

I've honestly never tried it, but I have a sinking feeling that that Mr. B "Patriot Lager" Deluxe Refill comes pretty close to what you're requesting.

Get that, swap out the provided yeast for some US-05 and ferment it as close to the low-60s as you can get it and I bet you'll be satisfied with the results :chug:

While Patriot Lager is good it tastes nothing like Boston Lager to me.

"dbrowning" post=359184 said:

And Lager ferment

For the life of me I can't bring myself to make a batch that uses $33.90 worth of HME. :laugh: It might be good, but I'm too darn cheap.

The only batches I've made with two cans have been the Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout, which uses the old Mr. Beer cans, which I acquired for $5 each. THAT I can live with. :laugh:

"RickBeer" post=359207 said:

"dbrowning" post=359184 said:

And Lager ferment

For the life of me I can't bring myself to make a batch that uses $33.90 worth of HME. :laugh: It might be good, but I'm too darn cheap.

The only batches I've made with two cans have been the Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout, which uses the old Mr. Beer cans, which I acquired for $5 each. THAT I can live with. :laugh:

I agree .... I havent been able to bring myself to put that much into HME for a 2 gallon batch

Thanks guys i just want to keep it simple and make a beer that tastes good and will be enjoyed by all my friends.already thinking about buying a new kit from Northern Brewer so i can make better beer and bigger batches.

Yes,  Try this.....

I could not tell this from the real thing except for slightly less bready aroma

If your local water is too minerally, dilute it with distilled.

This should have come out between 4.5 and 5 ABV. If you want to be sure of 5,add another 1/4lb Pale or Pilsner DME.

DME best added to water before it boils while not very hot and then stir until boiling. (You may not need maltodextrin if you do this)

SA Lager clone, 

Sterilize equipment

boil 4 cups water then dissolve 1 pack pale LME and 4 TBS MaltoDextrin

Put 0.5 oz Hallertaur hop in a bag and boil for  5 min.

Take off heat, add 1 can Mr B Pilsner HME

Add to LBK with water in it in normal way , top up and oxygenate(stir).

Add lager yeast  S-23

Ferment @ 55 deg (I used cooler with ice packs) 

When krausen subsides ( after 1 week) add 0.5 oz Hallertaur hop in a bag.

Continue to ferment @ 55 for another 3 weeks (that is what Sam Adams does)

Bottle in normal way with sugar priming ( I use 3 cubes per 750 ml and 4 cubes per 1L PET bottles) and let carbonate/mature for minimum of 4 weeks. (Picture)

Even closer at 3 months.

SA Boston Lager Clone

• Like 2