Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BlackDuck

White IPA - 2013 Spring Seasonal

As suggested in the other White IPA thread, I'm starting a new one here so that everyone can post questions, suggestions, after thoughts etc etc. regarding the new seasonal.

It looks like I might have a chance to get mine in the LBK tomorrow. So I'll start with a question.......

Step 3 of the directions say to "bring the water to a boil, add the prepared spice bag, allow to boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Pour the HME into the hot solution and stir until thoroughly mixed.

Step 4 is then to fill the LBK.

The directions never tell you when you should remove the spice bag. Are you guys going to remove it after it sits for 1 minute or are you going to leave it in the LBK the entire time it ferments???

I asked Mr. Beer support and below is the conversation...

KokomoSam:
For the spring seasonal does the spice bag go into the fermenter?
MB-Brianna:
It does, yep
KokomoSam:
so it does go into the LBK for the entire fermentation?
MB-Brianna:
it does, yes. you won't remove it.
KokomoSam:
thanks.

The directions sent in email said to add the hme with spice bag to the LBK so that's what I did. Also, be careful cracking the coriander as the tea bag it's in will rip relatively easy.

Other notes. 7 1/2 - 8 hours after pitching the yeast and the Krausen was pushing on the lid so it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a pan under your LBK. Nothing major just a little dribbler down on side but it could have been worse. And I couldn't find an est. OG to compare but I came up with 1.062 so hopefully that's in the ballpark with what everyone else will be getting.

"KokomoSam" post=358850 said:

I asked Mr. Beer support and below is the conversation...

KokomoSam:
For the spring seasonal does the spice bag go into the fermenter?
MB-Brianna:
It does, yep
KokomoSam:
so it does go into the LBK for the entire fermentation?
MB-Brianna:
it does, yes. you won't remove it.
KokomoSam:
thanks.

Thank you very much....I will leave it in the LBK the entire fermentation time then. Maybe this will add a nice little aroma to it!!

"Dizzon" post=358855 said:

I couldn't find an est. OG to compare but I came up with 1.062 so hopefully that's in the ballpark with what everyone else will be getting.

That's a great OG...if the FG gets down to around 1.012, which is very possible, then you'll be right at the advertised 6.5% ABV.

Just finished brewing up, ended up tearing the spice bag when crushing so I put the spices in a hop sack, also left it in when putting wort into the fermentor. Only got 1.059 on my gravity, but I re-hydrated the yeast and I gave it a good shot of O2 before pitching so maybe I can get it down. Does anyone know what T58 attenuates at? Going to ferment this one around 63 degrees.

Guest System Admin

Does anyone know what T58 attenuates at?

Most specs I've seen say 70% but a lot of posts say around 80%.

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=358945 said:

Does anyone know what T58 attenuates at?

Most specs I've seen say 70% but a lot of posts say around 80%.

Thanks Wings, yea seems like what I've been able to find says 80% is possible. Already have a 1/2 inch layer of foam on top, two hours in......wow that was fast :banana:

I left work early today so I could get this in the LBK before I had to pick up my daughter from school. All went smooth...except my spice bag ripped a little while crushing the grain and I had no hop sack, so I threw it in, but now I haz floaties. No biggie, I'll cold crash it so I think I should be OK. I filled the LBK to the 8.5 Q line and my OG came in at 1.067. And would't you know it, I forgot to take a sip to taste it.

Edit...so I pitched the yeast according to Fermentis instructions, which is to pitch directly into the wort, let sit for 30 minutes, then aerate. I aerated it with my fancy schmancy aeration whisk and it beat the crap out of the spice sack. So my spice sack is no longer in the LBK, but all the spices are!! :huh:

Thanks for this information, I'll have hop sacks ready to use, to prevent this.

"BlackDuck" post=359333 said:

I left work early today so I could get this in the LBK before I had to pick up my daughter from school. All went smooth...except my spice bag ripped a little while crushing the grain and I had no hop sack, so I threw it in, but now I haz floaties. No biggie, I'll cold crash it so I think I should be OK. I filled the LBK to the 8.5 Q line and my OG came in at 1.067. And would't you know it, I forgot to take a sip to taste it.

Edit...so I pitched the yeast according to Fermentis instructions, which is to pitch directly into the wort, let sit for 30 minutes, then aerate. I aerated it with my fancy schmancy aeration whisk and it beat the crap out of the spice sack. So my spice sack is no longer in the LBK, but all the spices are!! :huh:

Honestly, if I went back and did it again I would probably just empty the spice bag in loose. I have so much loose hops in my other LBKs that a little coriander and lemon peel floating around hardly bothers me. As far as tasting the sample goes there was noticeable bitterness. This should be an interesting one.

Guest System Admin

I am so jealous of all of you.

I have enough HME stockpiled to last for the next year.

SWMBO, even though she loves IPAs what not enthusiastic about me ordering this one.

POUT!

I went to the basement to grab a beer and checked on the LBK....it's got almost two inches of Kraussen already. Hold cow...it's working fast!!!

Wow, can't wait to brew mine! How was the aroma on it once you added the HME?

"MattP1981" post=359494 said:

Wow, can't wait to brew mine! How was the aroma on it once you added the HME?

It was good...you could really get the lemon and coriander..

"BlackDuck" post=359333 said:

Honestly, if I went back and did it again I would probably just empty the spice bag in loose. I have so much loose hops in my other LBKs that a little coriander and lemon peel floating around hardly bothers me. As far as tasting the sample goes there was noticeable bitterness. This should be an interesting one.

That's-a-what-a-I'm-a-gonna do

I'll tell you all what...I only did a few of the old Mr. Beer seasonals under the old regime. A couple I was impressed with but the others...Meh.

But I am really looking forward to getting this one in a glass. I just get the feeling that I am really gonna like this.

I'm so jealous of ya'll, I have an open LBK, but have to wait until next week to get my Seasonal.

I likely won't brew mine for another week at least. Got to bottle some keg first.

Got mine today so I put a gallon of water in a sanitized LBK and put it in the fridge.

I'll whip this one up tomorrow. My pipeline is full right now, but I don't want to miss out on the fun.

So, June 1st or 8th or some where around there, we should have a White IPA Borg sampeling party...

Brewed mine up. I filled slightly over the 8.5 line to roughly halfway up to the "Q" and came in at 1.065.

It smelled good, but not overly IPA-ish (which I wouldn't really expect from an extract batch in my experience). What did smell really good was the coriander and lemon peel tea! Yum.

It smells yummy and sweet and I think the yeast will bring something interesting to the party. I was originally thinking about dry hopping if there wasn't a lot of aroma but I now think I won't. Between the coriander, lemon peel and yeast I think there will be a nice aroma from all of them.

Time will tell.

"Kealia" post=359751 said:

Brewed mine up. I filled slightly over the 8.5 line to roughly halfway up to the "Q" and came in at 1.065.

It smelled good, but not overly IPA-ish (which I wouldn't really expect from an extract batch in my experience). What did smell really good was the coriander and lemon peel tea! Yum.

It smells yummy and sweet and I think the yeast will bring something interesting to the party. I was originally thinking about dry hopping if there wasn't a lot of aroma but I now think I won't. Between the coriander, lemon peel and yeast I think there will be a nice aroma from all of them.

Time will tell.

What hops were you originally thinking about adding? How do you think Citra or Amarillo would work with this one? It's really hard to say pre-fermentation.

Those, unfortunately, are my same issues. It's hard to say without tasting. We could all make assumptions on what hops were used, but it's just a guessing game, isn't it?

In my mind I was thinking of something strong like Citra or Cascade. But I do think I'm inclined to just let it ride.

I brewed mine up this evening, straight-up and at the moment I'm leaning towards no modifications at all. I had an issue with the spice bag tearing while carefully trying to crack the coriander seeds. I ended up placing the spices into a tea ball and using that. I obtained a reading of 1.065 as others have. I decided to re-hydrate the T-58. The sample was pretty tasty. SWMBO liked it too.

Rick

Yeah, I should add that I rehydrated the yeast, too.

And even being as careful as I could I tore the bag, too. No worries, I dumped it all in just like commando hops.

"Kealia" post=359870 said:

And even being as careful as I could I tore the bag, too. No worries, I dumped it all in just like commando hops.

If we tear the spice bag can we just put it in a sanitized hop sack? Is that going to have a fine enough mesh?

"Chuck N" post=359948 said:

If we tear the spice bag can we just put it in a sanitized hop sack? Is that going to have a fine enough mesh?

Yea...you could do that. I was going to, but I was all out of hop sacks, so mine ended up commando.

"Chuck N" post=359948 said:

Yea, just put them in the boiling water to sanitize. What ever gets past the hop sock will just drop out in the lbk. Not sure if I'll cold crash this one or not, might want all that the yeast and spices this one is going to have in the final product?

I'm hesitant to order this seasonal because of the amount of bitterness advertised(60 IBU). What commercial beer does this compare to in terms of bitterness so I can an idea of the taste?

With nobody having tasted this yet it's impossible to say.

Keep in mind that IBUs are relational to your gravity, though. 60 IBUs in 1.060 beer is going to be a lot less bitter that 60 IBUs in 1.040 beer.

But, it is an IPA....

"Kealia" post=359996 said:

With nobody having tasted this yet it's impossible to say.

Keep in mind that IBUs are relational to your gravity, though. 60 IBUs in 1.060 beer is going to be a lot less bitter that 60 IBUs in 1.040 beer.

But, it is an IPA....

Thank you, I just didn't want to end up with an overly bitter brew.

Update: I pitched at 62 yesterday and it's chugging away at about 67 this morning. My temp controlled fridge is full so this is just cruising away in the cellar where it stays about 63.

My basement is at about 63 too. I pitched Friday afternoon and most of my Kraussen has fallen already. But it's still going as it's still very cloudy with just a thin layer of Kraussen.

Just got my first batch in the fermenter. I steeped a 1/2# of Carapils in the water for a half hour before I brought it to a boil then added the spice bag (which I put into a sanitized hop sack). Before I pitched the yeast I took a hydro reading. I came out at 1.060. Tasted the sample and was kind of disappointed with the bitterness level (lack of). Other than the Carapils I did this as close to straight up as possible.

Forgot to mention that I had a mini overflow overnight. I left plenty of headspace but the yeast went crazy last night after I went to bed. Crazy kids.

Hmmm.... With the talk of a few of you having blow outs, I might put this one in my carboy and have a blow off tube ready to go if needed. I think I'll brew it tomorrow.

Wow!
So I made a double batch as planned. Primary is in 5gal carboy with airlock! 24 hours of solid gas drama! Not a blowout, but almost. I am fermenting at 70. I live in the desert, so AC is already on. That was yesterday. Today is have a tiny layer of krausen, and an airlock bubble about every 5 seconds or so. I was a little worried, but I will just let it chug along.
It's pretty cloudy, and one of my spice bags opened.
I will throw some pics up at some point. It smells amazing!!!!

I'm a beginner but loved the sound of this recipe and the fact that I shouldn't have to add much to it. What will everyone use when bottling? Regular table sugar?

Yep, good old table sugar.

I checked on it this morning and it has dropped to 64 degrees, the krausen has fallen and it's already starting to clear at the top. There's a very pleasant lemony smell around the fermentor.

I hit my wort with 60 seconds of 02 and between that and rehydrating the yeast I'm pretty sure they went to town. I'm going to check gravity at 7 days but I expect this one to be done quickly.

Brewed up my can of this last night. Spice bag smelled great when I opened the plastic bag it was in. I also ended up tearing the spice bag, and I even used a terry cloth towel to try and cushion it a bit. Also went a touch above the 8.5 Q mark, but can't say quite how much as its a :evil: Looking forward to trying this one!

"Dizzon" post=358855 said:

The directions sent in email said to add the hme with spice bag to the LBK so that's what I did. Also, be careful cracking the coriander as the tea bag it's in will rip relatively easy.

Other notes. 7 1/2 - 8 hours after pitching the yeast and the Krausen was pushing on the lid so it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a pan under your LBK. Nothing major just a little dribbler down on side but it could have been worse. And I couldn't find an est. OG to compare but I came up with 1.062 so hopefully that's in the ballpark with what everyone else will be getting.

Yes, it will. I ripped mine, even being careful with the rolling pin. So, I just poured the spice into a hop sack. It boiled for a minute, so I wasn't worried about sanitizing it.

Mine went into the LBK around 8pm last night. At 6am this morning, there was already a robust krausen, big krausen. I think that was the fastest for me, ever. It was 63 deg f in the basement where this is all going on.

I can't wait to try this one. I tried a White IPA that was on tap in Penn Station, I think it was a Blue Point. I liked it.

Popped this one in the carboy this evening. I got 1.062 (probably sampled the HME too much ;) ). Like others, the spice bag ripped a little, but that's okay, I dumped it all in. I just added 1/2 a Whirlfloc, but otherwise, it was by the book.

Edit: Well not completely by the book. I always start my yeast in some sugar water that I've boiled and cooled to around 80 degrees. It seems to make the yeast happy.

I got a nice thick layer of krausen within 12 hours after putting the LBK in the fermenter cooler. Temp staed right at 76. After twenty-four hours the krausen is already starting to drop and the temp fell to 74. It's nearly impossible to get the temp back up if I let it drop below 68 -70 so I pet in a couple of warm water bottles just to kepp the temp from dropping too far. Still lots of partying going on in the LBK.

Many great tips! I placed my order today, and I took advantage of the free shipping code found on twitter (thank you, yankfan9) - which I believe expires at midnight, tonight. I plan to brew it straight up, since the Seasonals seem to hold their own quite well.

"dbrowning" post=360655 said:

F ing backordered

Are they going to produce more? Last time they had the seasonals going, they did a limited amount, when it was gone, that was it.

"dbrowning" post=360655 said:

F ing backordered

CRAP! Me too. I'm not sure what "backordered" means, since usually once the Seasonals are gone - they are gone for good. Mr. Beer sure didn't have a problem with immediately billing my credit card, so I'll call tomorrow and inquire. In the mean time, I'll just relax and have a homebrew.

Guest System Admin

Mine got here today, plan on brewing this weekend

Perhaps Mr. Beer is waiting on another shipment from down under. If I get a definitive answer from customer service, then I'll post here tomorrow.

Guest System Admin

"Brewsus Yeast" post=360674 said:

Wow, if that's all they have, that took less than a week to sell out, right? Yikes.

Well officially the Release for the seasonal was March 29, so it has been 9 days :)

I have not brewed mine yet. I should put them up on e-bay and sell them for one billion dollars.

I ordered two and am probably going to brew one of mine tonight or tomorrow. I ordered two because I was told they sell out quickly.

If any of you guys who have them on back order are unable to get them I'd be glad to trade my extra seasonal for another HME. I'm all about spreading around the love! :cheers:

I got a 20% off coupon on Sunday and ordered 1 White IPA - 2013 Spring Seasonal. It didn't go on back-order and my email confirmation said it would ship in 24 to 48 hours so I guess they got more in stock. Looking forward to starting this after I return from vacation next week. Going to make this by the book.

:popbeer:

Just spoke with Diane...doesn't seem like the Diane I remember, but anyways, here is the transcript:

Justin:
Is the White IPA seasonal out of stock or will there be more available in the future?

Call accepted by operator MB-Diane. Currently in room: Justin, MB-Diane. I'll be right with you. Thank you for your patience.

MB-Diane:
Hi Justin, It is in stock, here's a link to that product page: http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/product_id/1272

Justin:
Understood, but the chatter on the boards is that the order status is going to "Backordered" once an order is placed.

MB-Diane:
I know nothing about the chatter on the boards, but it in stock and we're shipping them out.

Justin:
Okay, that's great...any idea why some are reporting it as backordered?

MB-Diane:
No.
Justin:
Alright then....thanks for the info.

MB-Diane:
Thank you so much for contacting Mr. Beer! Unless you have further questions, please take a moment to complete the post-chat survey when exiting the chat window!

Diane is usually a bit chattier than that, but who knows if its even the same Diane. Regardless, it would appear that there is no backorder at the moment and that they are in stock and ready to ship.

On Sunday, I placed an order for another White IPA using the free shipping code from Facebook.

I checked my account on Monday and it said "back ordered".

I checked my account today and it says "being shipped".

Guess they found a few more! :blink: :banana: :blink: :banana: :blink: :banana:

For those interested, I took a gravity reading today (yes, only three days in) because I had my equipment out and sanitized to take other samples.

I've gone from 1.065 to 1.026 in three days. I've put the sample into my satellite fermentor and will continue to post updates every few days. I'll likely check it again on Friday to see where it is.

"OikoEco" post=360840 said:

On Sunday, I placed an order for another White IPA using the free shipping code from Facebook.

I checked my account on Monday and it said "back ordered".

I checked my account today and it says "being shipped".

Guess they found a few more! :blink: :banana: :blink: :banana: :blink: :banana:

mine has changed to "being shipped"

"manosteel9423" post=360834 said:

Diane is usually a bit chattier than that, but who knows if its even the same Diane. Regardless, it would appear that there is no backorder at the moment and that they are in stock and ready to ship.

Are we sure it's always the same person talking as Diane?

"packerduf" post=360686 said:

Perhaps Mr. Beer is waiting on another shipment from down under. If I get a definitive answer from customer service, then I'll post here tomorrow.

My order now shows "shipped". Life is good again. :banana:

That's good news for y'all on the backorder thing.

I brewed up mine last night and the krausen got to 1 inch or so -- not as big as I was expecting -- but it's a bubblin' like crazy now. Smells good!

If I knew that the krausen wasn't going to be that big, I would have used an LBK instead of my 3 gallon carboy. I forgot how much extra work was involved with the carboy.

I just brewed mine up. I filled slightly over the 8.5 quart mark with an OG of 1.061, rehydrated the yeast, and blasted the wort with O2 for 1 minute. Sample tasted good, but felt that it was lacking in the IBU department to make it an actual "IPA." It didn't taste hoppy at all, but then again, I have been drinking Double IPAs such as Firestone Walker's Double Jack, and Ballast point-Sculpin nonstop. Anything else literally tastes like sparkling water once you get used to these stronger IPAs.

SWMBO ordered one for me yesterday morning, mention of Back order.
Appears to be ready for shipping.
Hope this is good, I'm not one for a real Bitter and Hoppy Brew.
With all the chatter on the forum I couldn't resist.

I started my white IPA and had the same problem with the spice bag but now with this change in weather I have come across an even bigger problem. It has been in the fermentor for only 5 days now. I normally have a temperature range of 63-68 F. Well I just got back and my thermometer says it has reached 80 f in the last two days and is supposed to be as hot tomorrow as well. After that it is supposed to drop back down into the 60's. I do not really have anywhere else to put this and the other ale that I have going that is actually ready to bottle now.
There is a clear liquid at the top of my fermentor and the beer wort has a real strong skunky smell. It does not taste that bad at this point but I am worried its ruined.
Should I just leave it alone since the temps. are going back down or should I try and make room in my fridge for the next 24 hours until the temps. drop?
All my readings are fine and like I said it tastes ok but has a real bad aroma? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My spice bag ripped pretty bad, that I used a muslin sack instead. I'm thinking that Mr. Beer should give you a separate spice bag to put it in or come up with a better solution, because it's next to impossible to not tear that spice bag

Just got mine in the LBK, spice bag ripped with first pass of rolling pin, so I dumped it into a zip-lock baggie, crushed it and tossed in commando. Smelled great, should be a good beer for warmer days, and it's my first batch of 2013, been slacking since November, and have so much beer laying around.

Going to bottle and do a batch of of this tomorrow. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I've never used 58 yeast b4, anybody have any input on the yeast?

I haven't. But I thought I saw that it heats up fast, so start cool and watch it. Maybe on the Diablo IPA thread.

I posted a little "book" about T-58 somewhere... but I don't remember where... Apparently not this thread, search for other "spring seasonal" threads and you should find it.

"mashani" post=362643 said:

I posted a little "book" about T-58 somewhere... but I don't remember where... Apparently not this thread, search for other "spring seasonal" threads and you should find it.

Here is your post from the other thread.
"For those that have never used T-58:

T-58 if you keep your ambient temps in the upper 50s/low 60s during active primary fermentation, it will give you some pepper and subtle clove and mystery spice flavors, and some citrus like tartness - but not a huge amount of fruit. It makes good pseudo-saisons at low temps. It makes good wheat beers, WITs, and Roggenbier at low temps too, as long as you aren't looking for banana or really strong cloves.

If your ambient temps** are in the mid 60s it get fruitier, less clove, still has pepper and citrus.

If your ambient temps** get it into the upper 60s-70s it gets really fruity, and if you aren't careful you can end up with a funky fruit bomb. Some people find this offputting LOL.

For this beer, I'd suggest keeping your ambient temps** in the low 60s, and letting the fruit come from the spice packet and the hops. It should be delicious.

It does not make a huge amount of trub. Don't freak if you only see 1/4" or even less. It's normal.

** I say ambient temps, because this yeast likes to get 8-10 degrees or more over ambient, so if you are fermenting at 60, it will rise to about 68-70 at it's peak (maybe more with all this malt). This is OK, just don't let it get above that... at warmer temps, it will easily hit 78+ and that's when you get into fruit bomb city.

This yeast sometimes makes really funky yeast islands on top of your beer. Especially when you mix it with wheat for some reason. Don't freak if you see those and complain your beer is all moldy... it's not, the beer is fine. Just ignore it and bottle it, you will have good beer.

What else can I tell you... you can ferment with it in the low 50s after initial primary is complete, it will still work, just slooooooooowly. If you have great temperature control, you can make pretty excellent belgian blond/pale ale type beer with it by letting it ramp up to around 68-70 during primary, then bring it down into the low 50s for 4 weeks."

My ambient temps in my fermentation chamber is right about 60-61, and the lbk is running at 67-68, been going since Saturday morning. Thanks Mashani on the info for keeping temps lower in the cooler.

Brewed mine up today. OG = 1.063, wort sample tasted sweet without any standout flavors.

Mine went crazy, I looked at it 6 hours in keg and Krausen is already 1.5" - 2", bet this is going to blow off

--- edit ---

Anyone dry hop?

Brewed mine today and a little agitated. The OG was 1.060 and the wort was sweet nothing like an IPA. We'll see what the finished product has to say for itself. I had to idle my extract down to 3.25 to get my OG. I shouldn't have to remove a 1/2 lb of extract to get my OG in Brewmate.

"Trollby" post=362867 said:

Mine went crazy, I looked at it 6 hours in keg and Krausen is already 1.5" - 2", bet this is going to blow off

--- edit ---

Anyone dry hop?

I will now, probably with 1/2 oz of Cascade or Centennial.

"JohnSand" post=362676 said:

Cool for bottle carbing too? Or room temp?

Normal room temps are best for carbing.

You should get very little bottle trub. T-58 is used often as a bottling yeast for filtered beers because of this.

I grabbed a pack of Nelsen Sauvin from the LHBS... that might go into one of these when I get to it... I've also got citra and falconers... more hop options then beer options unfortunately.

Im going to add 1/4# steep of Carapils, 1oz of Citra (1/2oz 10-15min boil, other 1/2 dry hop).
Also have a Golden LME but not sure if that matches the style or would be a good choice.

"SteveCon" post=36287 said:

I had to idle my extract down to 3.25 to get my OG. I shouldn't have to remove a 1/2 lb of extract to get my OG.

What does this mean?

How I am reading it, you didn't use all the extract because it would have made your OG too high. Your OG was stated 1.060, what would it hurt if it was higher? And if so, why not just use it all and add more water?

"willsr" post=362857 said:

Brewed mine up today. OG = 1.063, wort sample tasted sweet without any standout flavors.

Thar she blows! Yup, T-58 is beastly. About 12 hours into the ferrmentor and we already have a gusher.

Wow. I missed my chance to brew this past weekend. Hopefully I'll get mine fermenting this weekend.

Checked my satellite fermenter on this one last night and it's down to 1.022. A bit higher than I expected for 9 days in BUT I pulled that first sample from the spigot after only 3 days and I think it's likely that all my yeast were churning away up top and I got very little in my sample tube.

I'm not concerned because it's already clearing up nicely and I'll wait until this coming weekend to pull a fresh sample out of the keg to measure.

SteveCon wrote:
I had to idle my extract down to 3.25 to get my OG. I shouldn't have to remove a 1/2 lb of extract to get my OG.

willsr Wrote:

What does this mean?

How I am reading it, you didn't use all the extract because it would have made your OG too high. Your OG was stated 1.060, what would it hurt if it was higher? And if so, why not just use it all and add more water?

Ok I guess I wasn't very clear, I was a little :party: . What I mean is in my brewing program I had to reduce my malt content to 3.25 to get my OG of 1.060. I should have seen 1.066 at 3.75 lbs of extract for 2 gallons of beer. Sorry for the confusion. I can see a 1 or 2 point drop, but not 6 points. Hope that clarifies my previous post.

"SteveCon" post=363196 said:

willsr Wrote:

SteveCon wrote:

What does this mean?

Ok I guess I wasn't very clear, I was a little :party: . What I mean is in my brewing program I had to reduce my malt content to 3.25 to get my OG of 1.060. I should have seen 1.066 at 3.75 lbs of extract for 2 gallons of beer. Sorry for the confusion. I can see a 1 or 2 point drop, but not 6 points. Hope that clarifies my previous post.

thats still kinda clear as mudd

Why did you leave out some of HME
Why not brew as designed?

I have 2 lbk's with the seasonal that came in at 1.061 to 1.062 each and both are slightly overfilled. Neither overflowed. better than wasting hme and should be a lot of beer.

"dbrowning" post=363198 said:

"SteveCon" post=363196 said:

willsr Wrote:

SteveCon wrote:

What does this mean?

Ok I guess I wasn't very clear, I was a little :party: . What I mean is in my brewing program I had to reduce my malt content to 3.25 lbs to get my OG of 1.060. I should have seen 1.066 at 3.75 lbs of extract for 2 gallons of beer. Sorry for the confusion. I can see a 1 or 2 point drop, but not 6 points. Hope that clarifies my previous post.

thats still kinda clear as mudd

Why did you leave out some of HME
Why not brew as designed?

U R killing me :)

Please re-read the part about reducing the malt in the program. The whole can was used. ;)

Ok in brewing software you had to reduce the amout of hme to match what you got in real life right? Sorry, didn't read that way first.