Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BlackDuck

White IPA - 2013 Spring Seasonal

Brewed mine last night, came in right at 1.06 and smelled great. High hopes for this one.

I'll take a gravity reading tomorrow(4/17/2013) which will be the two week mark. I'm really curious to see where it's at. I'm hoping for an eventual FG around 1.012-13 to get me in the 6.5% abv range as advertised. I've used this yeast a couple times in the past with HME/LME batches with OGs over 1.060 and have gotten FGs of 1.011 and 1.013 so I know it can get there.

Started mine Saturday morning, had a thick layer of krausan by nightfall, was up to top of lbk for the last 2 days, churning away like crazy. I check it this morning, the krausan is all but gone, and it has settled down to a few bubbles rising up. Normal for this Yeast???

^ I won't claim to be an expert but from my limited use of T-58 that has always been my experience. The Krausen becomes impressive quickly and collapses quickly. I've always had good results with it.

"frogmeat69" post=363347 said:

Started mine Saturday morning, had a thick layer of krausan by nightfall, was up to top of lbk for the last 2 days, churning away like crazy. I check it this morning, the krausan is all but gone, and it has settled down to a few bubbles rising up. Normal for this Yeast???

That's not unusual. It's not done yet, so leave it alone for a while.

Day 14 in the LBK and its current gravity is 1.020 down from its OG of 1.062. It's certainly higher than I was hoping to see at this stage. Until now I've consistently kept it in the low to mid 60's but now I'll move it to a slightly warmer area for a week in hopes that it might wake up the yeast a bit. I'm starting to think my original goal of a 1.012-13 FG is unattainable but we will see.

"mashani" post=363454 said:

"frogmeat69" post=363347 said:

That's not unusual. It's not done yet, so leave it alone for a while.

Not gonna touch it for at least 2 more weeks, let it ride out. I only used T-58 once before, with the Dubbel seasonal, and don't remember how it acted, so was curious, thanks guys for the answers.

I emailed Mr Beer last week and they said: OG Approx. 1.058, FG Approx. 1.008 for White IPA

Got my White IPA started on Tuesday night, by Wednesday morning the yeasties were so happy they were jumping out of the LBK.

FINALLY brewed this up. OG came in at 1.060. Can't wait to try it!

Woah! 4 hours in and I have a half inch head of krausen and a lovely smell coming from the LBK :banana: :banana: :banana:

I pulled a small sample of mine yesterday after one week of fermentation. It had a distinct "wheat beer" aroma and upon tasting it, a brief spicy bite at the beginning. Didn't notice any real IPA characteristics yet.

I took a small sample, and it is down to 1.016. There is not a single hint of hoppiness in this to make at all an IPA. It tastes more like a Belgian Wheat beer to me. This is almost kind of disappointing as I was expecting a lot more hoppiness from this. Next batch of this I will definitely be modifying it.

Checked mine today after 13 days fermenting and.......

My satellite fermenter that had a sample pulled at day 3 is at 1.020.
My LBK sample is at 1.022 - 1.023.

WTH? :angry:

I've only used T-58 once before and it was the Seasonal Dubbel. That one finished at 1.019 (from 1.062) at 19 days so I think I need to leave this one longer, too.

The sample smells like a typical belgian so there is no doubt that the yeast has made itself known here. There isn't much (if any) hop aroma but honestly I don't think I've ever had an HME have one. Maybe it's part of the process of making extracts (not having a strong aroma).

I'm going to wait a few more days and then likely hit this with some Citra for a dry hop for 5 days and see what happens. I've been in the sweet spot for temp range so maybe I'll also try raising the temp to see if it will finish off a bit.

:(

"Kealia" post=364192 said:

Checked mine today after 13 days fermenting and.......

My satellite fermenter that had a sample pulled at day 3 is at 1.020.
My LBK sample is at 1.022 - 1.023.

WTH? :angry:

I've only used T-58 once before and it was the Seasonal Dubbel. That one finished at 1.019 (from 1.062) at 19 days so I think I need to leave this one longer, too.

The sample smells like a typical belgian so there is no doubt that the yeast has made itself known here. There isn't much (if any) hop aroma but honestly I don't think I've ever had an HME have one. Maybe it's part of the process of making extracts (not having a strong aroma).

I'm going to wait a few more days and then likely hit this with some Citra for a dry hop for 5 days and see what happens. I've been in the sweet spot for temp range so maybe I'll also try raising the temp to see if it will finish off a bit.

:(

I'm disappointed with the hop aroma. If you're gonna put the label anywhere saying IPA on a product, there better be some hoppiness. The only white IPA, i've had was Blue Point's White IPA. The hop aroma was there. This particular seasonal should have included some hops for dry hopping, or they should have hopped it up slightly more to increase the IBUs. How much citra will you add? 1 oz maybe? After tasting the sample, I was honestly going to the same.

I'm still waiting to brew mine, but sounds like I'm adding a dry hop or a hop stand... I've got plenty of hops that will go well in it I think.

@Kellia, I've never had T-58 get stuck, so ???

"mashani" post=364300 said:

I'm still waiting to brew mine, but sounds like I'm adding a dry hop or a hop stand... I've got plenty of hops that will go well in it I think.

@Kellia, I've never had T-58 get stuck, so ???

Following suit on that idea.

I think I'm going to use anywhere from 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz depending on what I have on hand (Citra, likely).

I didn't take a test so I can't comment on the need for a flavor addition, sorry.

Mashani, in your experience does T-59 just take a while to finish? I don't mind letting it ride, I'm just wondering if I'm at my TG now. I rehydrated and hit the wort with pure 02 before pitching (at about 64).
If the yeast aren't happy, it's not my fault! :dry:

It's just mirroring my only other experience with this strain so I guess a few more days will tell the story for me....

"Kealia" post=364436 said:

I think I'm going to use anywhere from 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz depending on what I have on hand (Citra, likely).

I didn't take a test so I can't comment on the need for a flavor addition, sorry.

Mashani, in your experience does T-59 just take a while to finish? I don't mind letting it ride, I'm just wondering if I'm at my TG now. I rehydrated and hit the wort with pure 02 before pitching (at about 64).
If the yeast aren't happy, it's not my fault! :dry:

It's just mirroring my only other experience with this strain so I guess a few more days will tell the story for me....

I want to possibly add .5 oz of Citra or Amarillo, but probably need to keg it soon due to the huge amount of head-space in my 3 gal better bottle. How much longer do you think I can keep the beer in there before I need to transfer to the keg? Or can I dry hop in the keg? I was thinking of tying the hop bag to the liquid post, and then take it off after a week. What do you think?
IMO- There's no way this thing has 60 IBUs. Impossible. I did a Gumballhead clone (which is only 28 IBUs) this week and the hydro sample tasted hoppier than the MRB White IPA. It did taste good however.

Depends on what you mean by "hoppy". IBUs don't taste "hoppy", they taste bitter. Other compounds from hops taste "hoppy". That's why I keep saying in random posts that you don't have to make 100 IBU beer to have hoppy tasting beer, people always confused this...

Maybe this beer out of the can is mostly bittering hops, with the flavor supposed to be coming from the spices and yeast vs. late hops.

@Kealia, T-58 ferments for a good while after the krausen falls and the temp drops to it's lower range, so I'd let it ride. I'd probably ignore a beer of this strength for at least 2 weeks before I pulled any samples (I realize you are already past that). It doesn't flocculate fast, it's not like an English strain that goes to the bottom and needs to be roused to wake it up. I've never seen it stick. I get 80+% attenuation with it sometimes. I have seen it stop fermenting and then wake up a week later like a saison yeast, so I would be careful to be sure your sure its done...

"mashani" post=364492 said:

Depends on what you mean by "hoppy". IBUs don't taste "hoppy", they taste bitter. Other compounds from hops taste "hoppy". That's why I keep saying in random posts that you don't have to make 100 IBU beer to have hoppy tasting beer, people always confused this...

Maybe this beer out of the can is mostly bittering hops, with the flavor supposed to be coming from the spices and yeast vs. late hops.

What I really meant was, that the IBUs don't really seem to be there to consider this an IPA IMO. Granted, I have not tasted the finished product and just a hydro sample at 1.016. It tasted more like it was in 30 IBUs range rather than the 60's which the descriptions says. Even the fresh wort seemed to be lacking hop flavor/bitterness. I think it will be a good beer, but really lacking that IPA character. I just bought a can of the Blue Point White IPA last night so I kind of get an idea of how it should taste. The bitterness was there, but it wasn't over the top. Seemed to have a lot more bitterness than this MRB seasonal, and the IBUs for Blue Point's white IPA is significantly less.

I took a sample today after 2 weeks in the LBK & it went from OG 1.063 to 1.022, so I think I'll give it another week. Sample tasted good, but like others mentioned I didn't really get any hops. Some of you mentioned you were going to dry hop, how would you do that with Mr. Beer, simply drop a hop sack into the LBK for the remainder of the fermentation?

Guest System Admin

"no1fromnowhere" post=364565 said:

I took a sample today after 2 weeks in the LBK & it went from OG 1.063 to 1.022, so I think I'll give it another week. Sample tasted good, but like others mentioned I didn't really get any hops. Some of you mentioned you were going to dry hop, how would you do that with Mr. Beer, simply drop a hop sack into the LBK for the remainder of the fermentation?

You could go commando or sanitize a hop sack and place them in it and drop in.

I would recommend using some weight (I use Stainless steel washers) that you sanitize with the sack.

Be sure to use Stainless not Galvanized since galvanized is toxic

Interesting numbers. Mine has been in the LBK for 2 weeks and 2 days. Took a gravity reading and mine was 1.022 also. I'll check it again on Wednesday or Thursday to see if it's done.

I agree....the sample did taste good. I was getting quite a bit of the wheat profile and a bit of the lemon from the peel. Not a ton of hop bitterness and not a whole lot of aroma either.

"Trollby" post=364602 said:

You could go commando or sanitize a hop sack and place them in it and drop in.

I would recommend using some weight (I use Stainless steel washers) that you sanitize with the sack.

Be sure to use Stainless not Galvanized since galvanized is toxic

Or use marbles. Sanitize a half dozen marbles, and you're good to go.

I brewed this up this morning, and I think it's going to be a good one. Sure smelled good. My OG was 1.056, and I'm wondering if this was within the range others have experienced.

I'd have expected the beer to get lower then 1.022, I'd be looking for 1.014 or there about even based on my T-58 experience... but then again who knows how this was mashed by them, maybe it was mashed in such a way to leave lots of wheaty unfermentables in it. That would also explain why the bitterness doesn't seem to be coming across in some peoples samples.

I might suggest carbing it at a high level, like a wheat beer. That would enhance the bitterness, make it seem driers and lighter, and bring out the flavor/aroma.

FWIW, I started this yesterday and the OG was 1.064. Lots of krausen and some visible trub already.

Guest System Admin

"pspearing" post=364678 said:

FWIW, I started this yesterday and the OG was 1.064. Lots of krausen and some visible trub already.

Mine was very active with in 12 hours and the krausen was done within 36 hours

"mashani" post=364658 said:

I'd have expected the beer to get lower then 1.022, I'd be looking for 1.014 or there about even based on my T-58 experience... but then again who knows how this was mashed by them, maybe it was mashed in such a way to leave lots of wheaty unfermentables in it. That would also explain why the bitterness doesn't seem to be coming across in some peoples samples.

I might suggest carbing it at a high level, like a wheat beer. That would enhance the bitterness, make it seem driers and lighter, and bring out the flavor/aroma.

I would have thought it would have been lower than 1.022 also. Good suggestion on carbing it a little higher.

Finally had a LBK empty for the White IPA
I new going in the Tea bag was not gonna take the crush, so I crushed the seeds and threw them in Commando.
Made sure I got every last drop of the HME out of the can and off the lid, my daughter helped with stirring while scraped the can of every drop.
OG was at 1.60, seems like we are all in the same range.

Now the wait begins! :barman:

Thanks for your thoughts and experience with the T-58 mashani. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I was thinking that maybe it was intended to have a higher FG as well but I recall seeing this post:

"Cino" post=363639 said:

I emailed Mr Beer last week and they said: OG Approx. 1.058, FG Approx. 1.008 for White IPA

In any case, I tossed in some Citra today. Not sure how much, I just winged it. Likely somewhere in between 1/3oz - 1/2oz. I will leave it until Friday and then bottle.

Finally got this in the fermenter. Like others have said, im not terribly impressed with the ipa-ness thus far. I wanna try dry hopping, never done it before. What hops would yall recommend? I was thinking cascade, commando style. And how far along do i add them?

Cascade works for IPAs. I'd do 1/4 to 1/2 oz, depending on how strong of an aroma u want. I'm a hop head, I would go with the half ounce. I would add it 7 days before bottling. Commando is fine if u don't mind a few green floaties in your beer. Cold crashing for 3 days before you plan on bottling it will settle out most of the floaties, helps make it a little more clear in the end.

Here is what I have narrowed down for my hop(s) to add to the White IPA since everyone is saying its not IPA enough.
Pacifica
Amarillo
Citra
or Falconers Flight 7C's
I noticed that the El Diablo Blanco IPA (that has a hop boil of Falconers Flight for 15min and still only has 60IBU's)
So, my thoughts
1 Can White IPA
1/2# Carapils - steep
1/2 - 1# Pale DME
1/2oz Pacifica @15 - 20min
1/2oz Amarillo (or FF7C's) @13min
1/2oz Citra @7min
Dry hop
1/2oz Pacifica for 10 days
1/2oz Citra 4days
Suggestions and thoughts...Please. I know its hard to tell with no one knowing what the finished product of just the White IPA tastes like... but do my hop choices sound good or would you change it?
Also, it it wrong to name this an Imperial White IPA? 7.5%ABV 6SRM 70-90IBU
I will be going to the "L"HBS on Tues.

Just brewed mine yesterday and within a couple of hours it was cooking and this morning was in full blast. Based on this, I think after today I am going to drop it to the lower end of its recommended temp range and slowly ramp up. This one will go as-is with the second batch being tweaked if needed. I do not mind if this comes out more like a summer wheat, so batch two will be SWMBOs call if I hop or tweak it up or let it stand. Of course, by that time it will become a summer beer but oh well.

To help with the bag ripping problem I left the bag in the plastic and put in between two pieces of wood in the woodworking vice and smashed the beejeepers outta it. Had a few press throughs but was in good shape, although I through in a hop sack anyways so I could weigh it down.

In terms of dry-hopping choices, I can tell you that when fermentation is done you should pick up some lemon notes, corriander and the "typical" belgian yeast nose. For me, Citra, or anything very floral is the choice for a dry hop.

But, that's MY preference. That's not to say that something like Cascade won't work, but it's not what seem to fit for what I wanted.

2 weeks in the LBK, OG 1.059 FG 1.017.. Thinking its not going to finish to 1.008 with S-58.. Maybe with S-05.. My sample taste great but its more like a White PA then an IPA

"Kealia" post=364831 said:

Thanks for your thoughts and experience with the T-58 mashani. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

I was thinking that maybe it was intended to have a higher FG as well but I recall seeing this post:

"Cino" post=363639 said:

In any case, I tossed in some Citra today. Not sure how much, I just winged it. Likely somewhere in between 1/3oz - 1/2oz. I will leave it until Friday and then bottle.

I haven't dry hopped yet, because due to the large amount of headspace in my 3 gal better bottle, I'm gonna have to transfer to the keg very soon. What do you think of dry hopping in the keg with a hop bag? I have some Citra, which I was thinking, or I might even do Amarillo because I have a ton of it. How do you think Amarillo would work?

My main concern would be whether or not I would be able to get the same dry hopping effect in a sealed keg. It is a 2.5 gal keg, and I also do have a keg lid that allows you to use it a secondary.

Just ordered my White IPA and received 20% off with my coupon code. I think I will take the Mrs. Shopping this weekend since the LHBS is in the area so I can pick up some citra hops.

losman26 - I know this sounds cliche, but either hop is going to work. It's just a matter of which one you want to smell, ya know? I've not even tasted the wort/beer on my samples so I'm going just off what I think will work for my nose.

And you can certainly dry hop in the keg if you believe all the talk on HomeBrewTalk. There are a LOT of people that dry hop in the keg (some use unwaxed dental floss to suspend it, others toss the bag in).

They report going MONTHS without picking up any off flavors, too. At colder temps you're going to slow down the degradation of the hops significantly.

For me - I just chose to dry hop in the LBK.

"pete rose haircut" post=365199 said:

I didn't order this seasonal because normally I don't care for ipa's, but this thread has made me go hmmmmm.

Pete, you should try some Californian IPAs like "Pliny" and Firestone Walker's "Double Jack." After you do that, you will be an IPA man. This seasonal brew is so far from being an IPA that it is laughable (granted it will be a good beer in the end).

I love Pliny.

But honestly, you could argue that American IPAs like Pliny are so far away from an IPA (as the Brits did it) that it's laughable too... Just saying...

I can honestly only recall trying 2 ipas, Sam Addams whitewater IPA & another called hazed & infused (don't recall which brewery ) Blorf to both of them

While I'm not an IPA drinker many of the comments on this forum got me to try a couple. I recently had a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA and was surprised at how much I liked it. I think part of the reason is that I've been brewing so many different styles this past year that its opened up my taste buds to allow me to enjoy new varieties and styles of beers. Brewing has truly been a taste bud opening experience.

Based on that pleasant experience I ordered the White IPA and will be brewing it, straight up, tonight. It will be interesting when we all compare notes on the finished product.

"pete rose haircut" post=365294 said:

I can honestly only recall trying 2 ipas, Sam Addams whitewater IPA & another called hazed & infused (don't recall which brewery ) Blorf to both of them

Sam Adams is a pretty generic IPA. Do a little research, pick up a mixed 6 of local and fresh IPAs. Make sure you drink them out of a glass, these are not bottle chuggers, a good deal of the taste and pleasure comes from the aroma. You'll be amazed how different they can be, some earthy and piney, some full of citrus and grapefruit.

Going to be bottling next weekend and although I'm tempted to dry hop, I think I'll hold off. I brewed this straight up and it's been in the primary at 63 degrees. I do love ipa's, but there are many many degrees of bitterness and flavors of an ipa so I'm curious to see how MB intended this to taste.

Same here - I'm going to leave it alone, even though it may end up tasting much different than originally expected. I'm not trying to win any awards for hitting a certain style, so as long as it tastes good, I'm happy :gulp:

OG of 1.062, day 14 reading of 1.020 and day 20 reading still right at 1.020. Welp, looks like mine is as ready to bottle as it will ever be. Even after re-hydrating and adding nutrients this looks to be the best I can do.

I'm pretty disappointed that I'll miss the approximate abv by an entire point. I've never had 58 finish this high before so I'm not sure if it was the yeast or if this HME has a bunch unfermentables. Oh well, it's still beer. I'll probably start cold crashing later today and bottle Thursday or Friday.

Given the numbers that we are all seeing, I'm willing to bet that is the profile of this beer.

I filled a bit over the 8.5 line myself, not worrying about the dillution as it will still be strong enough (IMO). But I wonder what my ABV would have been if I filled it to the line and stopped...

In any case, I'm holding tight and will bottle this weekend. I'll post my FG as well at that time but I'm not expecting to get any lower than 1.020 at this point.

"Kealia" post=365346 said:

But I wonder what my ABV would have been if I filled it to the line and stopped..

I filled mine to the line and stopped. I got an OG of 1.067 and the FG is at 1.022 (I'll take another tomorrow night to see if it's done before cold crashing)....that gives me an ABV of 5.9%. My fermenting temp has been pretty stable in the 63 - 65 F range.

After closer scrutiny and for the sake of accuracy my sample actually looks to be about 1.019. It doesn't change anything other than I can say it finished under 1.020.

Yesterday I fermenter my first batch of 2013 Spring Seasonal, tonight it is boiling over, just a small amount so far. The only complaint I have is; when I heated the can in water to make it pour easy some of the paper covering disolved and made a mess.

This Saturday when I ferment my second Seasonal I will remove the can coverning before it is opened, and leave the spice pack out just to see how it is, I might like it better without the spice.

I brewed my first last night.
OG was 1.064
Taste was weak
threw in 1/2 oz mt hood (just had it and no plans for it)
May add saaz dry hop at 7 days
Wife woke me up this morning (she goes to work RIDICULOUSLY early)
to tell me my beer sounds like the cofee maker perculating
Was boiling over pretty good
That stopped aroud 2pm
Still got a good trausen but fairly thin trub

(Putting Still together tomorrow, planning first attempt this weekend, I dont even drink it)

A little over a week in and my gravity is 1.017, started at 1.060 I believe. Probably going to dry hop a 1/4 oz Cascade and 1/4 oz Centennial this weekend. I tasted the sample and it didn't have the bite like most IPA's we'll see where it sits in another week an a half.

I really want to see what it's like straight up, but my hop head tendencies want to dry hop this beer.

RE: crapping out at 1.020ish numbers from 1.060ish numbers....

It's not the yeast. T-58 will normally attenuate much more then that.

Yesterday I fermenter my first batch of 2013 Spring Seasonal, tonight it is boiling over, just a small amount so far. The only complaint I have is; when I heated the can in water to make it pour easy some of the paper covering dissolved and made a mess.

Brewed mine last night. Made it straight up. I crushed the spice package in the plastic bag that it came in and then took the spices and put them in my spice ball. No problem with that step. I only used one half of the T-58 yeast since I consider 5.5 or 6 grams to be plenty for a 2.13 gallon batch. Pitched the yeast at 66 degree temperature and after 10 minutes I aerated vigorously then moved the conical fermenter to the 69 degree basement. Had a small but noticeable amount of activity within 3 hours, amazingly fast.

Had the same issue with the print coming off the can all over my hands. Made a big mess.

This morning there was an eighth of an inch of trub and 5 inches of krausen. Thankfully the conical has more than enough headroom to prevent overflowing. :banana: :banana:

"mashani" post=365592 said:

I don't doubt that. I have to believe that it's the way this was mashed - intentionally leaving this at a (relative) high gravity.

I just kegged mine, and my SG was wrong a week ago (1.016). My final gravity crapped out as well at 1.021. MRB should have just called this one "Allagash Spring clone", because there's no hops in there what so ever. I added .5 oz citra hops.

Just took my second FG. It's still at 1.022, same as it was a few days ago. So, that means mine is done...finished at 5.9% ABV. LBK is in the fridge and will bottle it sometime this weekend.

Hello All

I'm looking for some opinions on dry hoping some Cascade hops (.25 - .5 oz) for the last five days of fermentation on the spring seasonal.

I picked up the refill a couple of weeks ago and since I had most of the ingredients to make the El Diablo Blanco I decided to go that route. The only thing I didn't have was the Falconer's Flight hops. So off I went to my LHBS. Unfortunately, they also didn't have Falconer's but suggested Sorachi Ace hops instead. Which I added to the boil for 15 minutes and then kept them in the LBK where it has now been for the last 11 days.

Since I have never used Sorachi Ace before I'm wondering if the Cascade would adversely effect the beer given the sorachi has been sitting in the LBK for all this time. My main goal is to add some hoppy aroma since some of the feedback I've read here indicates this mix is lacking in that department.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :drinking:

You can't go wrong with dry hopping Cascade for any PA or IPA. As far as the hops u used for flavor/aroma I've never used them so not an expert there.

"Kealia" post=365685 said:

I don't doubt that. I have to believe that it's the way this was mashed - intentionally leaving this at a (relative) high gravity.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to hit it with some candi sugar or dextrose as well as hops, turn it into an imperial white IPA. The 1.02 won't be so high if it's amped up a few notches.

When are you planning to brew it? I'd be happy to send you one once I get it bottled if you want to see what it's like as-is (although do recall I dry hopped with some Citra).

Of course that means that you'll need to wait about a month or so before brewing yours while mine conditions.

I don't know, nobody has come close to hitting the est. 6.5% to my knowledge so I'm not convinced the high finishing gravity is intentional. Plus, the email sent to Cino did mention 1.008. It is what it is but it looks like it should have finished lower than the 1.020ish range.

I understand your point, but at the same time most of the numbers seem to be a bit overstated.

I'd love to get Samuel or Diane in here to comment.

Took a sample reading and got 1.018 after 21 days fermenting, starting gravity was 1.059 and the level in the lbk was at the bottom of the Q mark. Taste was not bad, mild banana and clove and not much of the spice although that may be due to that they are still in a hop bag? Not what I'd call an ipa, tasted more like a lager? A bit disappointed on abv, BS says it comes in at 5.4% but not sure if that sounds right? Going to bottle tomorrow, her's a pic...

[attachment=13003]DSC06680.JPG[/attachment]

I just finished taking a hydrometer reading after 19 days in the LBK. I obtained a reading of 1.016 after correction. This puts me at 1 point below the estimate of 1.017 suggested by BeerSmith. With my initial OG reading of 1.065, I'm currently sitting at 75.4% attenuation and looking at an estimated 6.5% ABV. I can go with that and plan on cold-crashing this tonight.

Oh.....I thought the sample tasted fantastic.

Now to decide if I want to natural carb or force carb this one. Anyone want to nudge me one way or the other? :laugh:

[Edit: I didn't think to take a picture. But my sample looked very similar in color to yours bucknut. I agree that this doesn't taste like the typical IPA, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Different, but not bad]

Rick

I brewed my first can.

Since lots of folks are saying it's not bitter enough and doesn't have enough flavor/aroma, I decided to go more the "El Diablo Blanco" recipe route, using extra light DME instead of the brewmax pack. I was going to go with Citra, but at the last minute decided to use Nelson Sauvin hops, I've got a bunch of them in my freezer that I need to use, and I think they will work well here. I perhaps went overboard, but did 1/4oz @15, 1/4oz @10, and then did a hop stand with 1/2oz more leaving the other hops in as well during the stand... but these hops are a bit older so less potent then normal, so I think I'm good. I believe I will be assured to have more then enough flavor and good aroma now, and I added at least 20 IBUs which will hopefully balance out the residual sweetness of the high FGs everyone is getting a bit more.

I will figure out what to do with my second can after I try this and others report back on their final products. But I'm more in the mood for more of a true IPA vs. a strong Wit beer, so I think I'll be happy with what I did.

This btw, is my first official Belgian IPA. I've never made one, the concept always made my brain hurt. But my "Citra Wheat Treat" turned me on to the idea of Belgian yeast mixed with IPA/APA style hops, although that beer is more like a wheat APA then IPA...

I think thats a good call Mashani! right along the lines Im thinking, just going another route with my hops. Im thinking more Cali White IPA with no more than 90IBU's, maybe 8.2%abv. will be my 1st Big Beer.

"Dizzon" post=366098 said:

I don't know, nobody has come close to hitting the est. 6.5% to my knowledge so I'm not convinced the high finishing gravity is intentional. Plus, the email sent to Cino did mention 1.008. It is what it is but it looks like it should have finished lower than the 1.020ish range.

Honestly, although I say 1.020 or even 1.018 is too high, 1.008 would be pushing it with T-58 unless it was mashed at very low temps and/or had simple sugars added. Now if you were to use French Saison or Belgian Saison, then you could rock it to 1.008 or lower easily. It would probably be wicked beer too.

^ Oh, I agree. Considering the amount of HME/LME I never expected a FG that low but I did expect better than 1.020ish range considering the est. abv, and compared to other HME/LME beers I've done with even higher OGs using 58 that have finished much lower than that. Again, it is what it is. I'm just looking for a consistent baseline for comparison.

I brewed my White IPA today (OG 1.062) and like others, had a problem with the spice bag tearing. I have a muslin spice bag but I sure as heck couldn't find it today when I needed it. The search for the bag wasn't a total waste of time though as a few kitchen drawers got cleaned out.

I went looking for muslin spice bags on the internet and came across the Monterey Bay Spice Company. They have drawstring muslin bags in various sizes and "press and brew" bags which are essentially tea bags you fill yourself and seal with an iron. Details here: Monterey Bay Spice Co.

Just bottled mine tonight, taste was a little better than the sample I tried yesterday. I detected a very mild hop bitterness that I didn't pickup in the sample yesterday, not had to many Belgian beers and only one Belgian ipa in my life time so this one is somewhat new territory for me, that said it was pretty good and I think once it gets carbonated it will be even better.

"rickbray66" post=366149 said:

Edit: I agree that this doesn't taste like the typical IPA, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Different, but not bad]

Its not supposed to taste like traditional IPA by design. If you've ever had Sam Adams Whitewater IPA(Belgian white blended with an american IPA) this seasonal should be similar.
I can hardly drink IPAs but love the fusion of the Sams Whitewater. Ordered the seasonal yesterday and can't wait to brew it.

"ScottyP" post=366541 said:

Edit: I agree that this doesn't taste like the typical IPA, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Different, but not bad]

Its not supposed to taste like traditional IPA by design. If you've ever had Sam Adams Whitewater IPA(Belgian white blended with an american IPA) this seasonal should be similar.
I can hardly drink IPAs but love the fusion of the Sams Whitewater. Ordered the seasonal yesterday and can't wait to brew it.

Yea, should have been a little clearer in my earlier post that Rick reply on, I don't get much of the ipa flavor in this, just Belgian flavors. I did taste some hop bite in the sample I tried today, although it was VERY mild at best.

"bucknut" post=366543 said:

"ScottyP" post=366541 said:

Yea, should have been a little clearer in my earlier post that Rick reply on, I don't get much of the ipa flavor in this, just Belgian flavors. I did taste some hop bit in the sample I tried today, although it was VERY mild at best.

I brew lots of Belgians. And I like IPAs.

I really don't like whitewater. I think it's the apricots mixed with piney hops. I love piney hops but I don't like them mixed with fruity flavors, I like my piney beers to be piney and earthy and resinous, without the fruit, except for some citrus in the background.

That's why I said the concept of Belgian IPAs makes my head hurt, but I'm going for it here with this, we shall see... An extra strong witbeer is simply pointless to me, I like to brew my witbiers

I really like the Citra/Wheat/T-58 beer I made (citra wheat treat) but it's more like a Belgian APA. Not bitter, just lots of tropical fruit and Belgian spice. I'm considering making a patersbier using citra hops just for fun.

Anyways, that's why I went for a fruity hop here vs. something else, or no hops.

We shall see. I normally would have just brewed the first one straight up, but like I said, I don't see the point in an extra strong witbier, and that's what folks seem to be describing their samples as.

Brewing my WIPA today after I pick up some citra from the LHBS.
[attachment=13044]image_2013-04-27.jpg[/attachment]

If I place the spices in the LBK without the bag, will the spices settle at the bottom with the trub if I cold crash?

They should settle with a cold crash. I'll be able to tell you for sure tomorrow. I'm bottling mine tomorrow, and my spices are in there without the bag.

"BlackDuck" post=366659 said:

They should settle with a cold crash. I'll be able to tell you for sure tomorrow. I'm bottling mine tomorrow, and my spices are in there without the bag.

Thanks Duck! Did you add hops also? I'm thinking I should brew as is since this is my first IPA

No...I didn't add anything. I wanted to brew this straight up to see how MB intended it to be.

Yesterday I fermented my second batch, it almost boiled over. I didn't add the spices, and to prevent a mess with the covering on the can, I soaked the can to remove the messy paper before I opened it.

"onekyds" post=366663 said:

Yesterday I fermented my second batch, it almost boiled over. I didn't add the spices, and to prevent a mess with the covering on the can, I soaked the can to remove the messy paper before I opened it.

What was your reasoning behind not adding the spices? Just curious

For those that have bottled, what was you FG at bottling? Cascades went for a swim today, now just waiting for my hydrometer to get here frm mr beer

One with and one without the spice, I'm not to fond of spicy beer, I just want to see which is the best.

Finally.
Got.
Mine.
Fermenting.

I did things a little different. I made a double batch of about 4.5 gallons in my 5 gallon fermenter. Added 0.5 oz of cascade with the HME to the fermenter. Pitched 2 packets of T-58. Probably a little overkill but oh well. Smelled great. OG came in right at 1.065. Only took 5 hours before I noticed some fierce activity in the air lock!

5 hours, that's some active yeast! Now comes the best part, the wait...LOL :banana:

T-58 always shows signs of fermentation for me 4-6 hours after pitching it, if I use a whole pack in an LBK batch. It's not a laggy yeast.

Finally found some time to brew my Whit IPA. I've had it for awhile just haven't had the time to brew it. From what I'm reading, I won't be disappointed. :banana:

Just about to start batch-priming. Got a FG reading of 1.019 giving me an ABV of 5.3%.

But...

I think I'm having troubles with my LBK. The last two batches I brewed in them came out with an off-flavor. The one before this was so bad I just dumped it. I can taste a medicinal flavor in this one too. Not very strong but it's there. I'm going to bottle it and see how it tastes six weeks from now. In the mean time I'm going to be ordering a couple new LBKs.

Bottled this morning. It came in at 5.8% which isn't a complaint - it is what it is.

FG = 1.021

I will say that it smelled great. Lemony with some light citrus also from the corriander followed by a light whiff from the Citra I dry hopped with. Nothing was over-powering the other but they seemed to play together nicley.

I stuck with my normal practice of not drinking the sample so it will be a solid 4 weeks before I actually try one.

I'm not worried or made that it didn't come in at 6.5%. If it tastes good, it tastes good.

Just finished bottling mine. FG 1.022 for 5.9% ABV. I got 22 full 12 oz bottles and a couple of ounces for a sip. I brewed mine straight up, no modifications. The color is a nice yellow, not a whole bunch of aroma. It smells and tastes quite lemony, with just a hint of the corriander. I think it's going to be pretty good and refreshing. I'm not sure if I would call it an IPA though, I just don't think it's that bitter. But, I think it really does have some potential.

If you recall, my spice sack broke so the spices were in commando. I cold crashed and didn't notice any lemon peel or corriander getting into any of the bottles. There was a little bit left in the slimline, but not much at all, just a couple of peices.

As of right now, I predict this is going to be real good after cutting the grass or even after a round of golf!

I had a lot of activity within the first 6 hours in the fermenter. But now, a little over 24 hours later, the air lock is dead. I ain't scurred - I trust this yeast. The whole basement smells like fresh citrusy beer being made. I like it. The wife doesn't (see below).
[img size=500]http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s478/oikoeco/8ec64b75-04f9-438a-9a0c-10ee2b6bb9bc_zpse93cc30f.jpg
SWMBO note on the fridge. I've been banned from brewing in the kitchen.

I've been seeing a lot of folks reporting their FG around 1.020. If my experience is similar, I should get an ABV around 5.9%.

Cheers!

I brewed mine tonight. I used a Jorgensen clamp to crush the spices. It made two tiny holes in the bag. I cooled the pot, keg reads 70.

Just a question to those who have already brewed this...I have two cans that I plan to brew in the next couple of days. I had planned one straight up and one with a dry hop (probably cascade but I haven't decided yet).

My question is have people been steeping Carapils or something similar with this HME? Can't decide whether I should or not.

I decided to let this cold-crash a couple of extra days and ended up kegging it today. I also decided to naturally carb this batch. Looking forward to trying it. Looks like I should end up at about 6.6% ABV

Rick