Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BlackDuck

White IPA - 2013 Spring Seasonal

"manosteel9423" post=367225 said:

Just a question to those who have already brewed this...I have two cans that I plan to brew in the next couple of days. I had planned one straight up and one with a dry hop (probably cascade but I haven't decided yet).

My question is have people been steeping Carapils or something similar with this HME? Can't decide whether I should or not.

With the addition of the spices (in bag or commando), it is definitely lacking in hop aroma at the time the yeast is pitched, IMO anyway. It still smells great, but the citrusy-lemony aroma is overpowering any hop presence. I don't think you would go wrong with a Cascade dry hop. I did a double batch (4.5 gallons) and I added 0.5 oz cascade at the time the yeast was pitched, and I'll add another 0.5 oz cascade dry hopped at or around day 10 of fermentation.

As far as steeping carapils goes, that may be my only regret of not doing these as separate batches. I did not do a carapil steep but I'm still several weeks away from telling if my decision was a good one. Time will tell.

Brewed my IPA last night at around 7pm, had great fermentaion at 5am this morning. Came home from work at 4pm the keg was dead with a big krausen ring at the top. Any similar experiences/ what should I do?

Brewed my IPA last night at around 7pm, had great fermentaion at 5am this morning. Came home from work at 4pm the keg was dead with a big krausen ring at the top. Also I didn't aerate the wort after pitching the yeast per instruction.
Any similar experiences/ what should I do?

Sit back for the next 2-3 weeks and let the yeast continue to do their thing. ;)

"Wort is smelly" - That's funny, right there. :laugh:

Brewed last night. Straight up, no steep, no hops additions...spilled a bit of the worth tranferring to the LBK for the first time in over a year!! Stupid! Got 1.060 OG, so not bad, but disappointed with any beer loss!

I think I'll let this one go as is, then brew my second batch on bottling day and pitch on the yeast cake. That one I'll probably drop some cascade in at 7 days in primary.

Took a reading today after two weeks. It is at 1.021 so I am letting it sit another week, and instead of being at 60 degrees I put it in a room at 70 for now. Little to no hop flavor, but a nice lemony coriander flavor.

I will be carbonating mine tomorrow using the morebeer carbonating keg lid, and will give a rough taste on Thursday to see how it is. Granted, it will still be a little green from only being the keg for week. I think that this will be a good beer, but is lacking in the hop department. The next can of this is going to have some citra hops during the boil, plus dry hops.

Orignal og 1.066 orignal post was mistake
Today at 1.024
Hope it goes a little lower, but im ok if it doesnt
Tastes really good
Knda low on hops but there is some flavor and aroma
I did dry hop cascade
I think its gonna be good
But maybe not near advertised

Mine is at 10 days in the fermenter. Smells nice, but I think I will dry hop with some Citra or Cascade. I am really looking forward to this one.

what is this dry hop about? I bottled mine - straight up no additions - yesterday. After just over three weeks in the LBK, the sample seemed pretty mellow in terms of hoppiness. I think it will be good, IIRC my final gravity was 1.03ish. Looked a little hazy, guess I kind of expected with a white beer. guess...

"whistlepig" post=367869 said:

what is this dry hop about? I bottled mine - straight up no additions - yesterday. After just over three weeks in the LBK, the sample seemed pretty mellow in terms of hoppiness. I think it will be good, IIRC my final gravity was 1.03ish. Looked a little hazy, guess I kind of expected with a white beer. guess...

Dry hopping involves adding hops to the fermenter or keg after fermentation has begun. It's a great way to boost hoppy aroma, but it doesn't add any bitterness to the beer. For best results, dry hopping is typically done after the peak in fermentation (after 7 days in the fermenter, for example). Most of us just throw the pellet hops in commando style (no hop sack). I always try to keep some cascade hops on hand just for that purpose. Anywhere between 0.25 and 0.5 ounces is typically used to dry hop an LBK-sized batch.
:chug: Cheers!

Got around to brewing my first of 2 today. Did a hop stand of 1/2oz Sorachi Ace for 10 minutes. Filled to just below the Q and got an OG of 1.056. Will ferment 21 days and dry hop the other 1/2oz of SA for the last 7 days. Chill box is at 62F. We'll see in 3 weeks how it went. If it gets to the teens, I'll be pleased.

Photon, what is a hop stand? And what are the effects? Sounds interesting

Yankfan.....what I take it to be is after flameout, add amount of hops and let it sit for a certain amount of time. I add my hops and cover pot and put it in my ice bath or in this case a sink full of cold water. Basically like adding hops to a MrB kit but instead of adding wort to the cold water in the LBK, let it sit for a stretch.

I guess it would fall somewhere between a flavor boil and an aroma addition.

"Photon Brewing" post=368153 said:

I guess it would fall somewhere between a flavor boil and an aroma addition.

That's my experience so far. And the flavor/aroma seems to be more stable over time, aroma doesn't seem to blow off as much during fermentation...

And Sorachi... that is likely going to be yum in this beer.

Mine has been in the ferementor for 2.5 weeks at a nominal 65 degrees. OG was 1.066 and the current gravity is at 1.014. I tasted the gravity sample and it tasted like a very citrusy wit.

I will be bottling in the next couple of days.

WOW...yours got down to 1.014, nice work. Wonder what made yours attenuate so well? So many others crapped out in the 1.020 - 1.022, mine included.

"BlackDuck" post=368322 said:

WOW...yours got down to 1.014, nice work. Wonder what made yours attenuate so well? So many others crapped out in the 1.020 - 1.022, mine included.

No idea for sure. I do deviate from the standard instructions in that I aerate with pure oxygen, hydrate my yeast, and am using a 3 gallon conical fermentor. Maybe one or all of those things is the difference. I do know that T-58 was pretty beastly and was overflowing out of my fermentor within about 12 hours. It was a mess.

I love the citrus aroma and flavor, but I detect no hop aroma or taste to speak of. The next batch is definitely getting the dry hop treatment.

I drank a glass out of my keg that is fully carbonated, and it is an average beer at best. I'm not overly impressed with it. At 1.021 FG, it is too sweet, with no bitterness whatsoever. While it is not a terrible beer, it simply does not meet the hype of the seasonals. There's no way that there is 60 IBUs in this beer, it feels like it is more in the 20's. I did dry hop with .5 oz of citra hops, and this probably improved the beer somewhat. For my next batch of this, I'm going to add some hops to a boil to compensate for the lack of bitterness.

I ordered the El Diablo Blanco White IPA that comes with 1.5 oz of falconers flight hops for a 15 minute boil. Should I dry hop with the cascade like everyone is talking about?

"eboucher30" post=368904 said:

I ordered the El Diablo Blanco White IPA that comes with 1.5 oz of falconers flight hops for a 15 minute boil. Should I dry hop with the cascade like everyone is talking about?

If you're going to use the Falconers as a bittering hop then you need to do at least a 50 minute boil. If you're going for hop flavor then a 15 minute boil will give you what you want. 25 minutes would be better.

IMO the Cascade hops are a good dry hopping hop.

[attachment=13174]hopboilchart_2013-05-04.jpg[/attachment]

Chuck N - If your doing a 50 minute boil would you add all of the HME and DME before starting the countdown?

losman26 said

I drank a glass out of my keg that is fully carbonated, and it is an average beer at best. I'm not overly impressed with it.

I agree 100%. After 2 weeks fermenting I took a hydro sample last night and while it was at 1.015, the taste was blah at best. It was the most carbonated sample that I ever had right out of the fermenter. I dry hopped with .5 oz of cascade for this last week and will bottle next Friday. Not expecting much which is disappointing considering the cost. :(

"RageKage" post=368951 said:

Chuck N - If your doing a 50 minute boil would you add all of the HME and DME before starting the countdown?

For clarification, you should NEVER boil the HME since it is hopped and you can change the hop character set for the MB recipe. Only boil the DME / LME when doing a hop boil. You would add the HME after the boil only. Hope this helps.

"T8r Salad" post=368962 said:

For clarification, you should NEVER boil the HME since it is hopped and you can change the hop character set for the MB recipe. Only boil the DME / LME when doing a hop boil. You would add the HME after the boil only. Hope this helps.

Thanks T8r. Exactly what I was looking for.

"mrblase" post=368961 said:

losman26 said

I drank a glass out of my keg that is fully carbonated, and it is an average beer at best. I'm not overly impressed with it.

I agree 100%. After 2 weeks fermenting I took a hydro sample last night and while it was at 1.015, the taste was blah at best. It was the most carbonated sample that I ever had right out of the fermenter. I dry hopped with .5 oz of cascade for this last week and will bottle next Friday. Not expecting much which is disappointing considering the cost. :(

I'm surprised that yours got down to 1.015 which will probably make it a little better than mine. Mine stayed at 1.021 even after re-hydrating the yeast and aerating with pure o2 for one minute. Where is the bitterness in this beer? Not too bash MRB too much, but it is simply not worth $25 plus shipping, when I can pull up a 5 gal recipe which is an actual "White IPA", with the right bitterness. I can buy the ingredients and have it shipped to me for almost the same, and get more than twice the amount of beer.. It is almost like, whoever brewed up the extract on this one, forgot to put the bittering hop in the batch, so they were like "all right everyone, screw it, we are going to ship this one out anyways."

How are the spices? I believe that is the defining characteristic of this beer. Or at least MrBs intention.

"mrblase" post=368961 said:

losman26 said

I too noticed that it seemed pretty well carbonated right out of the lbk, I also dry hopped a .05oz cascade. I dropped them in at 7 days, so I never really got a taste of what it was like before the dry hop. I do like how its tasting though

I bottled my White IPA today after almost 4 weeks in the fermenter. FG 1.016, but that was with the batch priming sugar, so it may have been a little less. It had a real nice aroma and flavor, but "IPA" wouldn't be my first thought.

Since it's now Cinco de Mayo, I guess I can break out the Aztec Cerveza and the Ole Mole Stout while the White IPA carbs! :banana:

Finally got an open LBK and brewed mine this am. Came in at about 1.062 range and rehydrated the yeast. Also had the bag rip so threw in a hop sack. Think I will dry hop some cascade or citra in this as many have done.

Well next weekend I will be bottling the white deioblo blanco hopefully from what you all have said about the the white ipa having little tast this will be the way to go

I've not pulled a sample from mine yet. I moved it to a warmer shelf, with hops that it will keep the yeast munching longer.

I found out what everybody meant with quick krausen! Was up to top of keg after about 7 hours!

I will be brewing this one tomorrow.

I just had my second glass from the keg, and am still not impressed with this one at all. The sweetness just overwhelms the lack of bitterness which is supposed to be at 60 IBUs. It is definitely not 60, not even close. It's disappointing to know that I spent $50+ on two cans of this, when I could I have got a 5 gal kit way better than this for less. This seasonal has to be the most disappointing one of them all.

Maybe what ended up in the can wasn't what they intended, IE something "went wrong", mashed too high or something... The high FGs folks are getting aren't right... T-58 isn't that low of an attenuator in my experience. I've had 1.07+ beers (with some sugar) go down below 1.01.

I have seen it stop at 1.02ish range and then wake up a week later and ferment lower, which is not uncommon for Belgian strains. If mine is 1.02ish at 3 weeks, I'm going to leave it in another week and put it on my warmest shelf. No need to rouse it if you do this, it's still going to have lots of yeast in suspension at 3 weeks.

Either way, I added at least 20 IBUs to mine, so I would assume mine will be balanced better regardless.

Guest System Admin

Bottled mine yesterday

I was able to get 1.013 FG so the yeast worked well, the only thing is that lthis is NOT a White IPA

Yes maybe a White Ale or a Belgian Ale but NOT an IPA.

This had almost no Hop front and NO aroma for hops.

I did it strait up to do as Mr. Beer wanted only exception was I steeped Carpils for body.

This was very watery and light flavor, I feel not even a Dubbel

I have been slowly ramping up the temperatures to the top of the yeast's optimal range and hope to bottle this weekend. From there I plan on doing a short boil of DME with some Cascade for flavor and aroma and do another dry hop with Cascade during the last week, quantities tbd depending on how the hydro sample tastes. Have a boatload of Cascade still so mind as well use them.

"RageKage" post=368951 said:

never boil a HME, just boil the water add dme. bring back to boil add bittering hops & start the clock.

I finally found the time to brew my first batch of this seasonal today. (Thanks to manosteel9423 for helping me out with the shipping-to-Canada issue!)

I managed to crack the coriander without ripping the spice bag (sort of...it did tear slightly, but the holes are so small that nothing can spill out of it). The brew process, being essentially the standard Mr. Beer process, went smoothly.

There was a minor issue transferring the wort from the pot to the LBK, because the spice sack got stuck at the edge of the pot and ended up causing a minor spill...not enough to affect the brew too much, but I will definitely have to remember to fish the spice bag out with sanitized tongs before pouring the wort when I do batch #2.

OG was 1.063. Hydro sample was nothing remarkable. At this ultra early stage, I wasn't able to pick out much more than the typical sweetness of unfermented malt.

I'm really looking forward to this. I am tempted to brew the second batch right now, but I think I'll wait until I've tasted the first bottle of today's batch so that I can make some adjustments/additions if necessary.

"asnider" post=369632 said:

I'm really looking forward to this. I am tempted to brew the second batch right now, but I think I'll wait until I've tasted the first bottle of today's batch so that I can make some adjustments/additions if necessary.

I think that would be wise since so few people have tasted it yet and there haven't been any rave reviews.

"Kealia" post=369634 said:

I think that would be wise since so few people have tasted it yet and there haven't been any rave reviews.

Yeah. I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but I've gone back and read some of the early reviews and I'm disappointed. I hope that I'll like what I end up with. But if it ends up being mediocre after having spent roughly $60 for two cans with shipping...well, that's a very expensive price tag for a beer that is just OK.

"asnider" post=369636 said:

"Kealia" post=369634 said:

Yeah. I haven't been keeping up with the thread, but I've gone back and read some of the early reviews and I'm disappointed. I hope that I'll like what I end up with. But if it ends up being mediocre after having spent roughly $60 for two cans with shipping...well, that's a very expensive price tag for a beer that is just OK.

If you go at this with the thought that it really isn't an IPA, then I think this will be better than mediocre.....it has the potential to be a very refreshing lawnmower beer. If you are set on this being an IPA, well, then I think it will be less than mediocre. I guess I'm saying it won't be a bad beer at all, just not what they said it would be.

"BlackDuck" post=369642 said:

If you go at this with the thought that it really isn't an IPA, then I think this will be better than mediocre.....it has the potential to be a very refreshing lawnmower beer. If you are set on this being an IPA, well, then I think it will be less than mediocre. I guess I'm saying it won't be a bad beer at all, just not what they said it would be.

That's fair, but I was definitely hoping that it would be what is was marketed as: a White IPA.

Oh well, I guess...I am still looking forward to tasting the finished product. :gulp:

Between the hop stand and a recent dry hop addition, I've added a whole ounce of Cascade hops to my double batch (2 cans HME = 4.5 gallons). It needed it. I dry hopped 0.5 oz cascades the other day and when I lifted the lid of the fermenter I could sense the other 0.5 oz I had in there but it was still lacking in hop presence. Hoping this latest dry hop addition helps out. Got another 12 days til bottling day.

"asnider" post=369645 said:

"BlackDuck" post=369642 said:

That's fair, but I was definitely hoping that it would be what is was marketed as: a White IPA.

I know how you feel...I was hoping that too!!!!

For those saying that it will be a "great lawnmower beer", this is not what you paid for. You paid for a "White IPA" that is not a White IPA, nor is it even close. Also, Lawnmower beers tend to ferment out a lot lower than 1.021 which a lot of people where getting. My guess is, that they intended it to be a White IPA, but screwed it up during the brewing process. This has to be one of the most disappointing batches ever, and I'm pretty easy to please. I'm sure this beer could turn out great as intended with some hop additions.

I think its pretty unlikely that they "screwed up" and just packaged it as it was hoping we wouldn't notice.

First of all, the likelihood that they screwed it up at all, at least insomuch as they didn't intend for it to turn out just as it has, seems pretty far fetched for a company that I'm sure went through batch after batch of testing before they settled on the recipe.

Secondly, it they had "screwed up" the brewing process and ended up with something other than what they were shooting for, it would have been pretty easy to relabel everything to "Belgian White" and the whole tone of this thread would have been very different.

My guess is that, much like their Diablo IPA, they were shooting for a beer that would appeal to the masses, not just the hop-heads of the community. The Diablo had very little hop bitterness and even less hop aroma for the style, but that doesn't surprise me in a commercially produced malt extract. Its not easy to carry hop aroma into an HME!

And lets not forget that the "White IPA" style is not exactly a recognized style. How Mr Beer interprets the style could be very different from how you or I interpret it...there's no BJCP guideline on this one.

I haven't tried this beer yet, I'm only 8 days into fermentation, but I just don't understand all the outcry over the way its turning out. Did people really think they were going to get some hop-slammed version of a witbier out of a can of extract straight up? That's a pretty unrealistic expectation I think.

I have a feeling its going to be exactly what I expected it to be...a slightly hoppier version of a Belgian Witbier. I'm even pretty sure that I'm going to enjoy drinking it very much. And, I'm pretty certain that I'll enjoy the second batch, that I make some changes to, even more because it will be brewed more specifically to my tastes.

Diablo is bitter enough IMHO, it just has no significant hop forward flavor/aroma. It's a better British IPA then American IPA until you hit it with a bunch of late hops. To make it come across as an American IPA you have to add late hops. (you have to have consumed many a real British IPAs to understand what I am talking about, but they are NOT even close to the same thing a modern American IPAs).

Anyways, a 1.06+ Belgian Wit is pointless IMHO. To me, a Wit should be a good lawnmower beer, and at least to me a 1.06+ beer no matter what it tastes like, is not a good lawnmower beer. That's why I went ahead and hit mine up with an ounce of late hops without even thinking about it once I started hearing the feedback, especially since Mr. Beer offers a hopped up version on their recipe section. I don't think I'll be disappointed with my choice.

Last night I did a variation on the El Diablo Blanco.

I had some extra lite DME left over, stopped by the LHBS and grabbed 1oz of Falconers, and did a 25min boil with 1/2oz.

I plan to dry hop with the remaining 1/2oz and hope for the best.

The OG sample did have some decent bitterness, so I'm optimistic.

"mashani" post=369871 said:

at least to me a 1.06+ beer no matter what it tastes like, is not a good lawnmower beer.

Oi! Depends on how big your yard is and if you got a ride-on mower. lol

So, here's a question...I am reading that I really want to bump up the hops in both flavor and aroma. Curious how I could do that without boiling the HME. The obvious answer would be to boil dome DME as a platform for the hops...but I'd rather not make it any bigger that the 6.2 or whatever it is.

Hmm???

Doing the hop boil with 1/2lb of DME gave me an OG close to 1.08, so I added a little more H2O to the LBK to get me around 1.069.

Right, wrong or indifferent, I guess I'll find out in about 7 weeks.

I dunno Chris, you might hold off until more people have tasted it. I'm not discounting losman26's review, mind you - just saying that right now it's somewhat of a focus group of 1 (or a few).

I added some Citra (dry hop) just because I wanted a bit more hop aroma but the belgian yeast aroma was already strong. I can't comment on the taste because I don't taste the samples at all. My first taste is always the first bottle because I've found that early tastes don't do anything for me so I stopped doing it.

I bottled on 4/28 and won't be tasting one until right around 5/26 and I think a lot of people are along that timing, too.

FWIW, I've wondered too how hard/possible it is to get a good hop aroma from an HME.

I seem to remember reading that the process of making malt extract (evaporating most of the water out of what is essentially wort) drives off the aroma and most of the flavor, which is why dry hopping is necessary if you want much of any hop effect beyond bitterness in an extract brew.

I didn't even purchase this as it's not my type of beer but I would just hazard a guess that mashani and manosteel are on point.
I've come to learn that Mr. Beer, while a great product, doesn't make the beer that I, Paul, personally like right out the box. For me, I need to tweak it up. This takes a few batches and then I know what I need for Paul to enjoy it.
I think most of their beers for made for the masses and I can't blame a company for that. That's how they stay in business. But, having had the Imperial last year, I was blown away with how good it was. I was hoping all the seasonals would be that way.

"manosteel9423" post=369859 said:

And lets not forget that the "White IPA" style is not exactly a recognized style.

A very good point. In fact, this is part of the reason I was so interested in trying this HME. A White IPA is something unique that you won't see everyday.

I hope it packs a nice amount of bitterness but, if not, I've got a second can to tweak as necessary after I've tried the first batch.

In other news, wow! That is one active fermentation! The krausen was up nearly to the top of the LBK within about 6 hours yesterday. I didn't check it before I left for work this morning, but I have a feeling that I'm going to have a bit of a mess to clean up when I get home this afternoon.

Yup, I remain optimistic here. Whatever we want to call in the end is fine with me as long as it tastes good.

"OikoEco" post=370022 said:

Yup, I remain optimistic here. Whatever we want to call in the end is fine with me as long as it tastes good.

Bottoms up to that!

And this is all I was trying to get at in my longwinded manner!

I certainly hope that I didn't offend anyone...losman26 specifically. I wasn't trying to call anyone out or anything.

"manosteel9423" post=370034 said:

And this is all I was trying to get at in my longwinded manner!

I certainly hope that I didn't offend anyone...losman26 specifically. I wasn't trying to call anyone out or anything.

No offense taken, but I just feel that this brew was not as advertised. You cannot convince me that this has 60 IBUs or even close to it. This is the first problem with this seasonal. Second of all, if you taste White IPAs, you will realize that it doesn't match up. I brewed up a kit from Midwest "Lawnmower de Saison" over a year ago, which was more like a white IPA than this one, and it is the furthest thing from an IPA. I'd be curious to see what hops they used in their HME. The other huge problem with this brew is the low attenuation rate. Most of us were only able to get it down to 1.021.

"losman26" post=370042 said:

The other huge problem with this brew is the low attenuation rate. Most of us were only able to get it down to 1.021.

I do hope that people keep posting their FG here. There are a LOT of folks (like me, too) that ended up at 1.020.

As for what to call it: I suggest...........BEER!(TM, of course)

I will be bottling this weekend and will post FG. I did dry hop with Cascade as I wanted some hop aroma. Will see how it turns out. Up to this point I have never been disappointed by a seasonal brew.

I do think it is hard to get much hop flavor and aroma from a Mr Beer HME. My prior experience with both ADIPA and Diablo IPA convinces me of this. Both were bitter enough to be an IPA but lacked flavor and aroma. I have added DME and done a hop boil and dry hop with ADIPA and have produced an excellent IPA that way. I brewed a modified Diablo last weekend with a Simcoe, Citra, and Cascade boil and plan to dry hop it as well.

Guest System Admin

I do think it is hard to get much hop flavor and aroma from a Mr Beer HME. My prior experience with both ADIPA and Diablo IPA convinces me of this. Both were bitter enough to be an IPA but lacked flavor and aroma. I have added DME and done a hop boil and dry hop with ADIPA and have produced an excellent IPA that way. I brewed a modified Diablo last weekend with a Simcoe, Citra, and Cascade boil and plan to dry hop it as well.

Doc, I agree wholeheartedly. I have made both ADIPA and DIPA and I added DME, steeped grain and hops to both of them. They have been some of my favorites but I know that the mix straight up would not have been.

I have seriously enjoyed both ADIPA and Diablo with a bit of DME boiled with late hop additions. I agree you can make good beer with them.

You can get really good hop flavor in HMEs, for example many of the Woodforde kits (made by Muntons, in the same packaging as the Muntons Gold kits) have great hop flavor. But they are best with some Goldings or Fuggles tossed in for aroma. I think the aroma compounds are too volatile to survive the process.

I was going to bottle my White IPA tonight and took a final hydro sample, which I assumed would be the same as the one I took last Saturday but I was surprised to see that it is now lower at 1.012 from 1.016. :banana:

I only used half of the yeast supplied as I don't like to over pitch. One thing that I did was to add a teaspoon of honey at the end of the first week to give the yeast something to munch on after the initial fermentation and it seem''s to have worked.

The sample tasted and had better aroma with the addition of the cascade dry hop which I addeed on Saturday. I'll check again this week end and hopefully the FG will be the same as today and I'll be able to bottle.

After drinking a White IPA from a local brewery that I've never heard of before, I've realized that this seasonal really is not that good straight out of the can. Granted it is a drinkable beer, but it is not what was advertised at $25/can. Bitterness, bitterness...... Where are the 60 IBUs that you claim, Mr. Beer? I do not taste them whatsoever. They seem more like 20-30.

"mrblase" post=370394 said:

I was going to bottle my White IPA tonight and took a final hydro sample, which I assumed would be the same as the one I took last Saturday but I was surprised to see that it is now lower at 1.012 from 1.016. :banana:

I only used half of the yeast supplied as I don't like to over pitch. One thing that I did was to add a teaspoon of honey at the end of the first week to give the yeast something to munch on after the initial fermentation and it seem''s to have worked.

The sample tasted and had better aroma with the addition of the cascade dry hop which I addeed on Saturday. I'll check again this week end and hopefully the FG will be the same as today and I'll be able to bottle.

Good tip. I'll employ this strategy.

The definition of IPA seems to be somewhat fluid--a quick look at http://www.ipabeer.com/ lists 106 IPAs, with IBUs from 42 to 118. Their list didn't include Lagunitas IPA, which I tried last week and found delicious; one review of Lagunitas IPA says the IBU is 45.6; Lagunitas claims it is "homicidally hopped" but while there's plenty of hop flavor and aroma I didn't find it to be very bitter, so IMHO the hops not only don't qualify as homicidal, I don't think they even qualify as assaultive.

I guess my point is that the flavor of an IPA has a lot of room for variation. My batch of the spring seasonal has another few days to go before I bottle it, much less drink it.

2 weeks since I bottled, so I put one in the fridge, will try in a few days.

"pspearing" post=370522 said:

Lagunitas claims it is "homicidally hopped" but while there's plenty of hop flavor and aroma I didn't find it to be very bitter, so IMHO the hops not only don't qualify as homicidal, I don't think they even qualify as assaultive.

See, it's a matter of perspective. Old school European brewers would say that the hop flavors we create from American hops is insanely wrong and overly assertive, regardless of the bitterness.

That makes sense; I guess if you think a very bitter brew with no aroma or taste of hops is a good thing then a lot of American craft beer is wrong. I happen to like the hop taste and aroma with average to mild bitterness.

I just took a gravity reading last night. Sitting right at 1.020 at 1.5 weeks into fermentation. Gonna let it go another 1.5 weeks in the fermenter and hopefully it'll drop a few more points.

I have yet to make mine, but have a question about pot size. Is my 3QT pot going to be big enough to hold that huge can? Or am I better off getting another pot? Never made a seasonal before.

"ba1980" post=370943 said:

I have yet to make mine, but have a question about pot size. Is my 3QT pot going to be big enough to hold that huge can? Or am I better off getting another pot? Never made a seasonal before.

The instructions say to use a 4qt or larger pot, but I managed to get by with my usual pot. It will be very full, though, so if you've got a larger pot I'd recommend using it.

"mashani" post=370661 said:

"pspearing" post=370522 said:

Lagunitas claims it is "homicidally hopped" but while there's plenty of hop flavor and aroma I didn't find it to be very bitter, so IMHO the hops not only don't qualify as homicidal, I don't think they even qualify as assaultive.

See, it's a matter of perspective. Old school European brewers would say that the hop flavors we create from American hops is insanely wrong and overly assertive, regardless of the bitterness.

I just got back from Europe a couple of months ago. While I can say that the beer in Belgium is amazing. On the other hand, they are doing really ground breaking stuff in California. It's kind of like comparing European wine to California wine. IMO they are both great, but Cali is more on the cutting edge of everything. They are not afraid to go outside of the norm.

"asnider" post=370955 said:

"ba1980" post=370943 said:

The instructions say to use a 4qt or larger pot, but I managed to get by with my usual pot. It will be very full, though, so if you've got a larger pot I'd recommend using it.

I think I'm going to wait at least another 3 weeks as it is since I want to make 2 batches and I was going to ferment the seasonal a little higher than I do others and since they will be sharing the same ice chest it will be tough to keep them at different temps. Maybe in that time, I'll get around to getting a bigger pot.

Check this out!!
When I input the information into Qbrew for the White IPA...

Recipe Characteristics Recipe Gravity 1.067 OG Estimated FG 1.017 FG

Recipe Bitterness 60 IBU Alcohol by Volume 6.5%
Recipe Color 5° SRM Alcohol by Weight 5.1%

Ingredients Quantity Grain Type Use
3.75 lb Mr. Beer/Coopers Seasonal White IPA Extract Extract
Quantity Hop Type Time
1.00 oz Mr. Beer/Coopers White IPA Pellet 5 minutes

Alright folks, got a question. I'm going into day 3 of my cold crash, so bottling should be tomorrow. I just took a sample, and the beer has a slight carbonation to it. This has me a little concerned. I really don't want to over carb this beer, in fact, I think the carbonation level it has now is perfect. When I bottle, should I add the suggested amount of sugar, or can I scale it back a little to keep from over doing it?

Ripp...its not unusual for beer to have some CO2 in it prior to carbonation since that is one of the things that the yeast creates during fermentation. However, its far from properly carbed for the style.

I recommend using a priming calculator...like the one on Screwy Brewer's website. It will take your fermentation temps and calculate your residual CO2...what you have in the beer now...and give you the proper amount of sugar to add to reach your target carb level.

Well I bottled this morning and after 3 weeks and 2 days the FG was 1. 01 or 7.4% ABV. Not bad and while this doesn't have an IPA hop flavor at this stage it might still be a good beer after 4 weeks conditioning.

I'm starting to think that using a conical fermenter might be contributing to the better FG reading versus many others who brewed this seasonal. I'm going to start to keep track of my FG buy fermenter to see if the conical is consistently getting lower FG''s than the LBK. I know that there is virtually no trub using the conical.

T-58 makes hardly any trub no matter what. Its weird like that. It's why it's used as a bottling strain.

I can't think of any reason that a conical vs. an LBK would matter from a technical perspective.

So I was just gonna bottle blind today, but I finally got a good hydrometer in the mail from MrB, so I decided to test it. Its been cold crashing for 3 days and is at 50°. The gravity reading I got was 1.010. The temperature adjusted reading I got using the Screwy Calc is 1.0095. Does that sound right? Seems a lot lower than what most are getting

Edit:
Sample got up to 65 and I retested. 1.009. Wish I knew what my OG was. Most were getting around a 1.064, using that number I should be around a 7.2 abv

"rippsnorter" post=371411 said:

So I was just gonna bottle blind today, but I finally got a good hydrometer in the mail from MrB, so I decided to test it. Its been cold crashing for 3 days and is at 50°. The gravity reading I got was 1.010. The temperature adjusted reading I got using the Screwy Calc is 1.0095. Does that sound right? Seems a lot lower than what most are getting

Edit:
Sample got up to 65 and I retested. 1.009. Wish I knew what my OG was. Most were getting around a 1.064, using that number I should be around a 7.2 abv

Its strange that we are getting such variations in the FG on this beer within the Borg. I just took an SG reading and got 1.018 (OG was 1.060 thanks to a small spillage). Based on the early reports, I would have expected that to be a solid FG, however, I think I'll ride this one out another week and see where it ends up. It is currently 15 days in the fermenter.

Having tasted the sample, I can understand the disappointment in the bitterness of the beer, but I don't get all the outcry over a lack of aroma. Even uncarbed, there was a definite aroma to this beer. I was going to dry hop 1/2 oz of Cascade, but have decided against it. While I'm sure that most of the aroma I am getting is from the spices that were added and not the hops, I want to see what this one is like when fully carbed and poured into a glass before I go messing with it too much.

I think that sometimes we forget what a difference full carbonation can have on the aroma profile of a beer. All this complaining from gravity samples might be completely unfounded.

I'm thinking that my lower gravity might be due to my fermentation temps. Where I kept my LBK for the first week and a half was a pretty steady 68, which from what I've read is a little on the warm side for this yeast

The range of FG's is really odd to me to. The lower temp didn't matter for me. Mine fermented at a very steady 64/65 degrees and mine finished at 1.022. Go figure!!

Bottled mine yesterday after 21 days fermenting, final ABV 6%.
Pretty happy with that! I will let it sit for another 21 and give it the first taste test.

mashani wrote;

T-58 makes hardly any trub no matter what. Its weird like that. It's why it's used as a bottling strain.

I never used T-58 before this seasonal but you are correct that for a beer with a high starting gravity reading there was about half the trub in the fermenter that I normally would get. I was trying to figure that out and thought that maybe it was left in suspension but the bottles looked pretty clear at bottling.

I did like the peppery taste that T-58 gave the beer and used the other half of the package in a wheat beer and the hydro sample after a week tastes very good. If the finished wheat comes out anything like the sample I might start to use this yeast on all my wheat beers.

rippsnorter, you and I are in the same range for FG readings. Mine was 1.01 unadjusted and taken at 69 degrees. I'm pretty happy with that result. As for fermentation temps I fermented at 69 degrees for the entire 23 days.

"mrblase" post=371772 said:

rippsnorter, you and I are in the same range for FG readings. Mine was 1.01 unadjusted and taken at 69 degrees. I'm pretty happy with that result. As for fermentation temps I fermented at 69 degrees for the entire 23 days.

What was your OG? Your temps were very similar to mine, i wonder if the higher temps helped it finish lower

Yeah, I'm curious about the temps, too. Mine have been conditioning in the bottle at about 70 so if there's going to be any action in the bottle I'm going to have very carbed beers when I open them ;)

Mine have been bottled for 2 weeks now and I will likely pop a tester soon. I also plan on checking the final gravity of one of them to see if they moved in the bottle or not. If they dropped significantly I'll surely know it when I open them:

old-faithful-1.jpg

I should have clarified - I'll pour enough into the hydro tube to use for reading and then let it sit until it is flat before taking a reading. It's only a few ounces out of the batch so I won't sleep over that amount. And if it's really good, I'll drink it after I get the reading ;)

rippsnorter, my starting gravity was 1.067 and as I said I only used 5.5 grams of the T-58 yeast. Seems to have been plenty though.

Oh so you're a full 1% over the advertised abv. What was you're reasoning for using that amount of yeast? This was my first successful batch so I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible

"rippsnorter" post=371909 said:

Oh so you're a full 1% over the advertised abv. What was you're reasoning for using that amount of yeast? This was my first successful batch so I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible

Not to jump into the conversation, but the 11g satchet of yeast is designed for a 5 gallon recipe. Many Mr Beer brewers will use half a package for an LBK sized batch because its to scale. Pitching the entire package is not an issue, but if you can get two batches out of a packet, then why not do so?

However, if you aren't able to use the other half within a week or so, then there is no point saving it since it loses its viability rather quickly once opened.

I used the entire package for mine, but its the first time I have pitched 11g of yeast into an LBK sized batch since the last seasonal...over a year ago...but that was a true lager (Imperial Pilsner) and lagers require higher pitching rates anyways.

Of course, I also plan to dump my second batch of this seasonal right on top of the yeast cake from this one, so I'll still get two batches out of one packet, so... :banana:

"mrblase" post=371772 said:

I did like the peppery taste that T-58 gave the beer and used the other half of the package in a wheat beer and the hydro sample after a week tastes very good. If the finished wheat comes out anything like the sample I might start to use this yeast on all my wheat beers..

T-58 makes good wheats and also good Roggenbiers (like a wheat beer but with rye instead of wheat). It also makes good pseudo-saisons. They will not be as dry as if you use a real saison yeast, but you can work around that by using some sugar. I use it all the time in those types of beers. Makes good Belgian blondes too.

EDIT: I bottled my batch today at 1.014 btw... I'm ok with that. I added 20 IBUs and lots of flavor/aroma by adding a full ounce of Nelson Sauvon as late hops/hop stand. I drank the hydro sample and it was delicious. Tasted like I took a Fantome Blanche and mixed it with some Anchor Humming ale. And that's not a bad thing, I love both of those beers. If it's as good when I drink it as it tastes now, I'll brew it the same for the second batch. I'm not disappointed.

Just tried mine..2 weeks in lbk, 3weeks in room temp bottles conditioning. I use sugar mini dots for bottle carbing my Mr. Beer batches(I batch prime for my 5 gallon batches).
Beer tastes very carmely and mellow.Very, very small hop bite at the end of the drink, but nothing to write home about. Was also very carbonated.
Not a bad beer to be honest. Just not what it was billed to be. Going to let the rest of the bottles condition another 2 weeks and see what's what.
I have an lbk of devils ipa and a 5 gallon batch of old flat tire to bottle up this weekend.
:-)
First post here..long time lurker, first time poster in Monroe NC.

Welcome Bbohanon! Thanks for contributing.

Interesting that you get caramel.....