Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
speakeasy

flop

Welcome to the forum!!!

First thing first, how do you know it stopped fermenting and exactly what recipe are you making?

hi and thanks for the welcome, i tried barley wine, it is a youngs beer kit plenty of bubbles now zero ,taste, half pint tasted felt bad in stomach, sweet no badness this is second day, stirred just now lots bubbles on top of wort,thanks all help

Without a hydrometer it is hard to tell if it is really done fermenting.

Beers will continue fermenting after the vigorous activity. And high gravity beers like a barley wine can take even longer to ferment than a lower gravity beer because the yeast is under more stress. Most barley wines I have had tended to taste sweet at bottling time because there is a fair amount of residual sugars that don't get converted.

If it's only in the second day it is unlikely it is done. Even if it is done there is still going to be a lot of yeast in suspension. Yeast can gastronomical distress most commonly farting and the runs. Some people notice this drinking a homebrew that has been cleared and in the bottle for a long time. If you aren't frequently drinking beer with yeast it could explain the upset stomach.

Also avoid stirring or touching unless absolutely necassary.

Get a hydrometer. first it will give a guage of whats going on, second it give me a excuse to sample whats going on.

What temp are you fermenting btw.

I dont know anything about barleywine but I had some that the fermentation settled out after 2ish days and looked like nothing was going on, but there was.

Let it go the full 3 weeks then test a sample if you have a hydrometer. No more stirring of your fermenting wort. You dont want it to become oxidized.

:smash: stupid interweb tried to double post

i have a stupid question, what yeast did you use? and my question is could it be too strong for the yeast and maybe killed it?? just curious

"jrflowers2" post=358970 said:

i have a stupid question, what yeast did you use? and my question is could it be too strong for the yeast and maybe killed it?? just curious

No its a good question. I am just assuming his recipe was using a proper yeast for a barley wine.

If it's a kit (and he mentions that it is), it should include the proper yeast.

I think we need to know a little more about the process the OP followed.

When was it brewed? What was the temperature when the yeast was pitched? What is the ambient temperature where the beer is fermenting? Did you follow the instructions exactly? Is there trub in the bottom of the keg?

Bubbling, or krausen, is a nice sign, but it's not the only sign.

"FedoraDave" post=358994 said:

When was it brewed? What was the temperature when the yeast was pitched? What is the ambient temperature where the beer is fermenting? Did you follow the instructions exactly? Is there trub in the bottom of the keg?

Dave the OP said it is only day 2 and he stirred his wort to get it to bubble again.

"FedoraDave" post=358994 said:

i saw it was a kit,but that doesnt mean he got all the right stuff,ive odered kits before and came up short on grains and one kit i didnt any yeast at all.

"speakeasy" post=358922 said:

this is second day, stirred just now lots bubbles on top of wort,thanks all help

We could help you better if could tell us what your OG was, what kind of yeast and how much, pitch temp and what you consider activity. It's not unusual for active fermentation to take 48-72 hours to kick in, especially if you didn't pitch enough yeast. Barleywines have very high OG, which requires lots and lots of cells.

At this point the only thing I can say for sure is to leave the lid on and let the yeast do their thing. Messing with it simply increases the risk of infection and/or oxidation.

I agree on the impatient part, no type of beer I've ever heard of is done fermenting in 2-3 days.

It's not abnormal for VIGOROUS fermentation to stop after only a couple of days, but it's still doing it's thing. If there are any bubbles/krausen at all, it's still going. Leave it alone for at least another 2 weeks, then if you have a hydrometer take readings a couple of days apart. If they are the same, it's ready to bottle.

As I understand it, if it's a high gravity recipe, you may want to transfer it to a secondary fermentation vessel to get the wort off the trub during the longer secondary phase of fermenting, but that's something you'd be better off asking someone that has brewed such a recipe to be sure.

Just remember, in homebrewing patience isn't just a virtue, its a requirement!

thanks to you all its going well bubbling away,i will wait two more days then transfer and keep going till it stops fermenting,fingers crossed