Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rogergoochman

Yet another splitting a 5 gallon batch question

So Im considering splitting a 5 gallon batch between 2 LBKs. But I have a question that I havent found an answer too yet. Say I split the wort as close as possible and use the same yeast in each LBK. When it comes time for me to batch prime my bottles. Do I batch prime each LBK separately or can I combine both LBKs into my ale pale and batch prime it all together?

You can combine with them and prime based on 5 gallon size.

6 of one half dozen of the other. It will work either way but your beers will be consistent if you pour them together and batch prime. Even being careful to split everything evenly tiny differences can produce slightly different taste. So it seems you want consistency since you used the same yeast so I would combine the 2 LBKs.

If you had used different yeasts for the sake of "Beer Science" then you would have bottled individually. To taste how different yeast effect the brew.

That's actually a great question. I'm getting ready to do my first 5 gallon split amont 2 LBK's as well. My first few batches were MB so I did a batch prime. Then I've done 2 one gallon batches from Northern Brewer that use their Fizz Drops to bottle prime. I actually prefer batch priming after trying both ways. My first 5 gallon recipe is once again from Northern Brewer so I'll be doing Fizz Drops but I'll try your method for batch priming in the future. It seems like combining everything into one bottle bucket is the easiest way to get the job done. Let us know how it turns out!