Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Incognitum

Advice on brewing my first Wheat

I'm planning to do a 2 gallon batch of a Wheat Beer next week. It's my first time brewing this style and I'm just starting to put together a recipe.

I was originally planning to buy the Bavarian Weissbier, but then I got to thinking about just skipping the Mr. Beer HME altogether and just use about 3lbs of Wheat DME in place of it.

I also picked up 1oz of Saaz and 1oz of Hallertauer hops as well as 1oz of Coriander Seed and 1oz of Sweet Orange Peel.

Could I make a decent Wheat with just the DME, Hops, Coriander and Orange?

This would be my first batch without using Mr. Beer's HME as a base. Any suggestions on the best way to use my Saaz and Hallertauer hops for this style?

I'm also curious about how much of the Sweet Orange Peel and Coriander to use in my 2 gallon batch.

Thanks for any insight.

Depending on the style of wheat beer you want to make, you have a few ways to go. If you want a Belgian Wit, use the DME, 0.5 oz of Saaz at 60 min, and 1/4 oz Orange peel and 1/4 oz crushed coriander with 5 min left in the boil. Use a neutral yeast, ie US-05.

If you want a Hefeweizen, skip the spices, and instead of Saaz, use 0.5 oz of Hallertau and Wyeast 3068 or WLP-300 yeast.

Easy peasy.

Good luck!

Edit: oh, and make sure to start with as much water as you can (at least a couple gallons) for your boil.

Do you have Qbrew? If not you should. You can absolutely make a good beer with that combination.

Are you going to be using a Wheat Yeast with this?

Russki, I'm going for the Belgian Wit. Can I put the Orange Peel and Coriander into a muslin sack? Also, do I pull it out at flameout or should it sit in the wort any longer? Thanks for all your advice.

HazardousBrewer, I'm using BrewersFriend.com to put together the recipe. Right now, it comes in about 5.8% with 10 IBUs and 4 SRM.

Sounds like it could be a pretty sweet beer.

Any other little things you guys do to make your wheats special? It's one of my favorite styles, so I am psyched to brew this and without using any Mr. Beer HME. Should be interesting.

"Incognitum" post=359272 said:

Russki, I'm going for the Belgian Wit. Can I put the Orange Peel and Coriander into a muslin sack? Also, do I pull it out at flameout or should it sit in the wort any longer? Thanks for all your advice.

HazardousBrewer, I'm using BrewersFriend.com to put together the recipe. Right now, it comes in about 5.8% with 10 IBUs and 4 SRM.

Sounds like it could be a pretty sweet beer.

Any other little things you guys do to make your wheats special? It's one of my favorite styles, so I am psyched to brew this and without using any Mr. Beer HME. Should be interesting.

Yep, put spices into a muslin sack and pull them out after the boil. What's the AA of your Saaz? Just adjust the amount to get to about 15 IBUs for the style. 1.058 is a bit high, I usually aim for around 1.045-1.050 for my Wits.

Here's a link to the style description for you: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style16.php#1a

In my trials with Wheat...I would suggest you determine how big or little a turn off is the Banana and/or Clove to you.

If it's not an issue, I'd go with the WLP300
White Labs Hefeweizen Ale WLP300

This famous German yeast is a strain used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers, and also leaves the desired "cloudy wheat beer" look.

--however, if Banana and/or Clove are a turn-off--

I'd suggest WLP320
White Labs American Hefeweizen Ale WLP320

This yeast is used to produce the Oregon-style American Hefeweizen. Unlike Hefeweizen Ale (WLP300), this yeast produces a very slight amount of banana and clove notes. It produces some sulfur, but is otherwise a clean fermenting yeast which does not flocculate well, producing a cloudy beer.

I prefer WhiteLabs to Wyeast...but this is also a good yeast to consider:

Wyeast Belgian Witbier 3944
Probable origin: Hoegaarden, Belgium

Commercial examples may include: Celis Wit, Hoegaarden, Blanc de Brugge
Unique properties: This yeast produces a complex flavor profile with a spicey phenolic character and low ester production. Phenols tend to dominate most flavors and dissipate with age. It ferments fairly dry with a finish that compliments malted and unmalted wheat and oats. It is sometimes used in conjunction with lactic acid bacteria to produce a sharper finish. This strain is a slow starting yeast with true top cropping characteristics requiring full fermenter headspace.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd have had any Wheat's with that banana/clove flavor before. I'll have to give it a little more thought.

My favorite Wheats are along the lines of Blue Moon, Oberon and Whitsun, which I don't think have any of those banana and clove undertones.

Alright, so I'm going to be brewing this one up today.

It's basically looking like a 60 minute boil of:

3lbs Wheat DME
60 min - .5oz Saaz (3%)
5 min - .25oz Coriander
5 min - .25oz Orange Peel

Safbrew WB-06 Dry Wheat Beer Yeast

Does 2 gallons of water seem like a good size for the initial boil?

I need to make sure it all fits into the LBK, which will already have a gallon of water to absorb the hot wort. Can I plan to boil off about a gallon over the course of an hour?

"Incognitum" post=360423 said:

Alright, so I'm going to be brewing this one up today.

It's basically looking like a 60 minute boil of:

3lbs Wheat DME
60 min - .5oz Saaz (3%)
5 min - .25oz Coriander
5 min - .25oz Orange Peel

Safbrew WB-06 Dry Wheat Beer Yeast

Does 2 gallons of water seem like a good size for the initial boil?

I need to make sure it all fits into the LBK, which will already have a gallon of water to absorb the hot wort. Can I plan to boil off about a gallon over the course of an hour?

only boil about half of the DME add the rest about 10 min before flame out boiling DME for an hour will make it darker than your expecting.

Alright, I had to push back the brew date on this because I realized I don't have a pot large enough to boil 2 gallons of water along with all the LME.

I'm going to look at getting a proper brew pot this weekend and get back on this.

"Incognitum" post=360900 said:

Alright, I had to push back the brew date on this because I realized I don't have a pot large enough to boil 2 gallons of water along with all the LME.

I'm going to look at getting a proper brew pot this weekend and get back on this.

get way bigger than you think you'll need. at the very least you need a 16 quart pot just for this cook. now double it at least. you can find tamale steamers i.e. cook pot at least or get a 40 quart. cheaper to buy one now than to buy a 16q, but then in a few months it'll be a 32q, then... imo

Thanks Jim. I am really starting to look at doing 5 gallon batches and splitting them between 2 LBKs. I don't see moving past 5 gallon brews for a long time. Would a 5 gallon pot be sufficient or should I go bigger -- like 7gal. I'd like to move away from HME and start using DME/LME with 60 minute hop boils. This brew will be my first attempt, but on a 2 gallon level.

I was finally able to brew this one up tonight. I finally bought a 5 gallon pot today and started with a 2.5 gallon boil.

Compared to a Mr. Beer recipe with a 4 cup boil, this thing took forever to get boiling. I never got a true rolling boil, but I think it's enough to get the job done. I'm waiting on the wort to chill a bit before I pitch the Fermentis Wheat Yeast, so I'm writing this up in the meanwhile.

This was a lot more time consuming than a Mr. Beer batch (for the same amount of beer), but it was a great night of brewing.

One thing... I took a leak about 45 minutes into it (had to get rid of the 2 pints of Diablo I drank while brewing). I really worried about a boil over from the LME, but I came back a minute later to find no boil over, -- just a hop sack on fire from hanging next to the flame from the burner. It was actually pretty sweet, and a very minor disturbance.

Needless to say, this was my most manly brew session ever.

:banana:

I just brewed something similar last week.

Blue Moon Clone
---------------
Brewer: 413 Brewery
Style: Witbier
Batch: 2.13 galExtract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.037 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 13 IBU
Recipe Color: 3° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.009
Alcohol by Volume: 3.5%
Alcohol by Weight: 2.8%

Ingredients
-----------
CaraPils - [body, Head] 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped
Wheat DME 3.00 lb, Extract, Extract

Saaz (Czech) - Noble hop variety. Very spicy, cinnamon-like and earthy. recommended for Bohemian Pilsners and German and American Lagers0.50 oz, Pellet, 45 minutes

Corriander Seed 1.00 unit, Spice, Crush then add 10 minutes before flameout
Orange Peel, Sweet 1.00 unit, Spice, 10 minutes before flameout
Safale S-05 Dry Ale Yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, American: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

"Incognitum" post=361699 said:

Thanks Jim. I am really starting to look at doing 5 gallon batches and splitting them between 2 LBKs. I don't see moving past 5 gallon brews for a long time. Would a 5 gallon pot be sufficient or should I go bigger -- like 7gal. I'd like to move away from HME and start using DME/LME with 60 minute hop boils. This brew will be my first attempt, but on a 2 gallon level.

rule of thumb double what your going to cook. so a 5 gal batch needs a 10 gal (40q) pot. you might could squeek by with a 32q but then you might have to upgrade later if you get a new stove or start cooking with a turkey fryer and so increasing the foam action. so the cheapest in the long run is go on and get a 40q and be done with it.