Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
budguy

new to home brew

I AM NEW TO HOME BREWING, I HAVE WANTED TO DO THIS FOR A WHILE. I BOUGHT A MR. BEER KIT FOR MY DAD FOR CHRISTMAS, THEN DROPPED A HINT TO MY WIFE AND ALL 5 KIDS THAT I REALLY LIKED IT AND WOULD LIKE TO GET ONE FOR MYSELF. THEY NEVER LISTEN TO ME BUT, I ENDED UP GETTING TWO OF THEM FOR CHRISTMAS FOR MYSELF(HOW COOL). I AM GONNA START MY FIRST BATCH TOMORROW, FINALLY. CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED AND TASTE MY FIRST BREW.

Outstanding budguy, if you have any questions please ask. Welcome to the Borg.

:cheers: :barman:

There is a lot of good new brewer information on the board. Read up and I'm sure some of my fellow enthusiasts will provide links to help your learning process.

THANX, I WILL BE CHECKING IN REGULARLY TO LEARN SOME TRICKS :chug:

"budguy" post=359514 said:

THANX, I WILL BE CHECKING IN REGULARLY TO LEARN SOME TRICKS :chug:

The sticky on the top of the "New Brewers and FAQ's" is a good one to start with. You can access it here.

Welcome, first trick is don't do the 222 that the instructions tell you to do. Instead we recommend 3 weeks in the LBK(little brown keg) and 4 on the shelf in the dark at room temp. then 3 days in the fridge. Takes a week & 3 days longer but you get a better tasting fully carbed. beer. One more thing, this is just fyi. typing in all caps in these kind of places(chat rooms also) is like shouting.

[attachment=12573]welcomebeer_2013-04-06.gif[/attachment]

Welcome aboard!

The best advice I can give you, besides what's already been offered, is to do the recipes exactly as they are for the first four batches, or so. This will get you used to the process of brewing, and will also familiarize you with what the different HMEs taste like. Once you have a handle on those two things, you will be in a better place to customize your beer, and create your own recipes, if you want to.

+1 to reading, reading, and more reading, plus brewing the recipes as is to start.

Also - forums like this, as well as emails, use ALL CAPS to indicate shouting. As I'm sure that's not your intent, wanted to let you know that. :)

Hi and Welcome,

Along with the stickies you can find on this forum I would also suggest reading John Palmer's How to Brew, you can find that here.

Don't be afraid to ask question, many here have answered many of the same question and will still happily help.

And please, STOP YELLING :lol:

If there were any one forum to join to improve your brewing it would be this one. Everyone here are so helpful and quick to offer advice. You will find there are many ways to accomplish the same thing....good beer. There are few wrong ways to brew. Find the way thats comfortable for you and makes you happy and good beer will follow. There is plenty of good info on this forum but I would suggest also picking up a copy of How to Brew 3rd edition by John Palmer. Any way welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum Budguy, You came to the right place to learn how to make great beer.
:chug: Good Luck and Happy Brewing :chug:

Welcome aboard. I got a kit for Christmas in 2011, and I have to say it's the best Christmas present I ever got in my life. And this is a great place to learn and share your brewing hobby. As the saying goes, welcome to the obsession.