Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mjbearit

Patriot Lager

So we had about a dozen folks over for dinner tonight and I filled the ice chests with Patriot Lager, St Patricks Stout (it was warm today and I didn't want a bottle bomb!) and assorted "free beer". Now I am not overly fond of the Patriot Lager and I thought maybe it just was not up to snuff in the taste department. Well apparently it is because I just don't normally drink lagers. Everyone thought it was great and it went like water in the desert! I cooked this one up per instructions and I did not deviate from that at all. So, I guess if you are considering that one, go for it if you are a lager fan. I may make more at some point as it keeps folks out of my "good stuff"!
BTW great day a BarBQue out here ini San Diego area. Nice breeze kept things from being too hot. Good food, good beer, good company, a definate great day!
:chug:

Congrats on the successful brews. One thing though - the patriot lager is only a true lager if brewed with lager yeast. If you followed the directions with the down under yeast you made an ale. Mr.B extract names can be tricky like that sometimes.

If you ever want to Doctor it up, add 1/4 of Liberty Hops and 1 lb of DME for a 15 min boil. It makes for a mighty tasty brew.

I'm just finishing up (drinking) a batch of Patriot Lager, and I think I'd have loved it a year ago, but I've been broadening my beer tastes since I started brewing and now it's okay but nothing special. The Oktoberfest Lager (which as ScottyP pointed out about Patriot is actually a lager-like ale) on the other hand I consider to be Good Stuff, and the Dark Winter Ale is good even though it still needs a few weeks more conditioning. I think it's all about expectations, and if you think beer is supposed to taste like Bud Light a Patriot Lager will be great because it's not terribly bitter, has a flavor that's familiar but stronger, and is refreshing on a hot day.
I'm glad a good time was had by all; if there's anything more gratifying than someone really liking your work I haven't found it.

"pspearing" post=359937 said:

I think it's all about expectations, and if you think beer is supposed to taste like Bud Light a Patriot Lager will be great because it's not terribly bitter, has a flavor that's familiar but stronger, and is refreshing on a hot day.

I agree. Expectations and an experienced palate open up a lot of doors in the beer-drinking world. They turn your experiences with each individual beer from "I do/don't like this" to "This is/isn't a good example of style".

For instance, I'm not a real big fan of heavily bittered IPAs. Some people love hop bombs, and that's cool, but I prefer more balanced beers. That being said, sometimes I do want an IPA, because I'm craving that up-front bite and in-your-face aroma. So when I drink it, even if it's not what I would ordinarily have, if it's a well-made example of the style, I'm going to appreciate it for that, and acknowledge the quality, even if I'm not going to switch my allegiance to IPAs.

Knowledge and familiarity of styles also helps when pairing beer with food. The Patriot Lager would pair very well at a barbecue/grilling party. That's another aspect of the fun of homebrewing. You need to think a few months ahead so you can have the appropriate beer ready for the upcoming season.

"mjbearit" post=359889 said:

So we had about a dozen folks over for dinner tonight and I filled the ice chests with Patriot Lager, St Patricks Stout (it was warm today and I didn't want a bottle bomb!) and assorted "free beer". Now I am not overly fond of the Patriot Lager and I thought maybe it just was not up to snuff in the taste department. Well apparently it is because I just don't normally drink lagers. Everyone thought it was great and it went like water in the desert! I cooked this one up per instructions and I did not deviate from that at all. So, I guess if you are considering that one, go for it if you are a lager fan. I may make more at some point as it keeps folks out of my "good stuff"!
BTW great day a BarBQue out here ini San Diego area. Nice breeze kept things from being too hot. Good food, good beer, good company, a definate great day!
:chug:

First off: You SUCK for living in the San Diego area. :P In my some-what limited experience there is no area in the entire world that has better weather than the San Diego area. Plus they have some very nice beaches and some incredibly nice beach..."visitors". :whistle:

Secondly: It's already been said but, even though M.r Beer calls it a lager, it is, in deed, an ale. Although from what I have read you can brew a beer with ale yeast at the low end of the ale yeast's temperature range and pick up on some lager qualities (you'll have to use a much longer brewing and conditioning time(s)).

And...AHHHHHHH! Dave! You went and changed you avatar while I was in the middle of making this post! That's a-kin to moving the Empire State building to Chicago over night. Now I forgot what I was going to say!

"ScottyP" post=359897 said:

Congrats on the successful brews. One thing though - the patriot lager is only a true lager if brewed with lager yeast. If you followed the directions with the down under yeast you made an ale. Mr.B extract names can be tricky like that sometimes.

I am fully aware the MB uses Ale yeast. In addition toi the yeast there would have to be special temp controls. I was simply identifying the "kit" that I used.

"FedoraDave" post=359941 said:

"pspearing" post=359937 said:

I think it's all about expectations, and if you think beer is supposed to taste like Bud Light a Patriot Lager will be great because it's not terribly bitter, has a flavor that's familiar but stronger, and is refreshing on a hot day.

I agree. Expectations and an experienced palate open up a lot of doors in the beer-drinking world. They turn your experiences with each individual beer from "I do/don't like this" to "This is/isn't a good example of style".

For instance, I'm not a real big fan of heavily bittered IPAs. Some people love hop bombs, and that's cool, but I prefer more balanced beers. That being said, sometimes I do want an IPA, because I'm craving that up-front bite and in-your-face aroma. So when I drink it, even if it's not what I would ordinarily have, if it's a well-made example of the style, I'm going to appreciate it for that, and acknowledge the quality, even if I'm not going to switch my allegiance to IPAs.

Knowledge and familiarity of styles also helps when pairing beer with food. The Patriot Lager would pair very well at a barbecue/grilling party. That's another aspect of the fun of homebrewing. You need to think a few months ahead so you can have the appropriate beer ready for the upcoming season.

I agree with you regarding balanced beer, as well I do agree about the IPAs! At the moment I am in an experimentation phase and I have what started out as a NW Pale Ale that will end up being much closer to a NW IPA being boiled with Chinook and dry hopped with Cascade. It also has the addition of a biot of Dark Brown sugar and honey. I really wanted to go far afield for this one. Worst case I wasted a bit of time and a few $$ but I am trying to experiment in order to learn a bit about the interplay. I cook a lot and develop my own recipes, and what is beer if not cooking? So I wanted to come up with a unique brew from that NW Pale ale. It still has about 2 m ore weeks or so before it hits the bottles so we'll see what happens! :)