Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sluggo

Batch Prime - Process & equation help

I've always used sugar cubes, but I'm accumulating some cool bottles of various size, including 15 Fischer rubber stopper bottles today. Time to do batch priming for more conistency and to solve the problem of many different size, but cool, bottles.

So I have a slim line, and I'm going to transfer the wort to it. Based on the exact volume I come up with, I must have to add a certain amount of sugar. I'm bottling up a Stout, so don't want crazy carb. Where do I find the equation for the amount of sugar for batch priming, depending on volume of finished wort?

THANKS GUYS! THIS IS AWESOME.

Desired CO2 volumes 1.9 (middle road for stout)
Beer temperature 77 degrees (yea that sucks, got this hot according to dig thermo)
Beer volume 2.2 (estimated for now)
Priming ingredient Cane sugar
Residual CO2 .76 volumes
Sugar needed 3.31 TBSP

** A reference temperature of 0°C is used to measure the volume of CO2 **

That's what Screwy's calcs say. Anyone know what I'm supposed to put in for Residual CO2? That's my only missing piece of knowledge before I can prime it up. 3.3 TBSP seems light for a 2.2 gallon batch.

"sluggo" post=360180 said:

THANKS GUYS! THIS IS AWESOME.

Desired CO2 volumes 1.9 (middle road for stout)
Beer temperature 77 degrees (yea that sucks, got this hot according to dig thermo)
Beer volume 2.2 (estimated for now)
Priming ingredient Cane sugar
Residual CO2 .76 volumes
Sugar needed 3.31 TBSP

** A reference temperature of 0°C is used to measure the volume of CO2 **

That's what Screwy's calcs say. Anyone know what I'm supposed to put in for Residual CO2? That's my only missing piece of knowledge before I can prime it up. 3.3 TBSP seems light for a 2.2 gallon batch.

i use grams much more accurate. i get 2.91tbsp that's 36.3 grams. make it high end carbed and you'll see the numbers your expecting.

Jim -
Thanks for the quick reply's. I think I'm in the relative territory here. Just not sure what "residual CO2" means, and it's a variable I can apparently adjust. I've left it alone at .76, but I'm not convinced yet that it's correct.

My figures agree with yours and I'm thinking 36.3grams must be in the ballpark.

Any idea what the "residual CO2" is, and how I should adjust?

"sluggo" post=360197 said:

Jim -
Thanks for the quick reply's. I think I'm in the relative territory here. Just not sure what "residual CO2" means, and it's a variable I can apparently adjust. I've left it alone at .76, but I'm not convinced yet that it's correct.

My figures agree with yours and I'm thinking 36.3grams must be in the ballpark.

Any idea what the "residual CO2" is, and how I should adjust?

no i just put in the temp and the suggested carb percent volume, and what with (cane,corn) and hit calculate. i think it might be the amount of dissolved co2 in the beer when finished.

Since I want the sugar blended well without aerating the beer, I just use 2.13 gallons. I can't imagine anyone can show me the difference between a few grams of sugar on a 2+ gallon batch.

I think you'll find that you'll be very undercarbed at that level. I've been using 65 grams for most batches, 50 for my recent nut brown and will do 50 for my upcoming stout. A teaspoon of my sugar is 5 grams, and a teaspoon across 2+ gallons isn't a lot.

I'm boiling the sugar in 1 cup water. I believe it makes no difference how much water you use (1-2 cups), as that amount of water is not going to affect the beer, but may have something to do with not disolving the sugar if too little.

Both Tasty Brew site (by 4stringdude) and Screwy site (by Jim) are coming in at 1.6 oz of white table sugar. I'm running with it.

Thanks guys!

compared to the sugar cubes I was using, this is tiny carb. I'd use one cube per 12oz bottle. 2.5g/cube and 22 beers is 55 g vs my final 43 on batch (after some adjustments on volume).

I like this method better.

After I cooled sugar water to 77, I poured in wort (already transfered to slimline). Stirred for 30 seconds. Waited 15 minutes to bottle...allowed to settle a bit. Do you all cold crash your bottling bucket? I was thinking that might be a good idea next time.

Here's my batch priming "primer" -

When it's time to prime and bottle, sanitize the bucket, wand and all hoses. Prep your priming solution by boiling a cup (2 cups for 5-gallon batch) of water in the microwave for 5 minutes. Add your measured amount (by weight is most accurate) of priming agent to the water and boil for another few minutes. Cover with a sanitized piece of foil and set it aside to cool.

Set up your LBK on the kitchen counter and place the bucket on the floor on top of something so that the top of the bucket is about 4-6" below your LBK . Put a section of 3/8" tube on the LBK spigot that’s long enough to reach to the bottom of the bucket and curl a bit. You want the beer to flow smoothly into the bucket and not splash.

As the beer flows out of the LBK, prime it by slowly pouring your calculated (sterilized by boiling and cooled) sugar solution into the stream of beer. Stop draining the LBK before you get into the trub layer. Very gently stir the beer in the bucket with a sanitized spoon to get a nice, consistent distribution of the sugar. Cover the top of the bucket with sanitized foil or, if you have a lid, place it on top without pressing it down.

I like to do the next step at the dishwasher with the bottles having been sanitized and placed on the lower rack (also sanitized). Place the bucket on the counter above the open dishwasher. Attach the wand to the spigot using a 3" piece of tubing. This allows it to flex a little, but not flop around when you fill each bottle. Crack open the spigot. As you fill each bottle by pressing the wand button against the bottom of the bottle, let it get all the way full. When you withdraw the wand, you'll create just the right amount of headspace each time.

"sluggo" post=360244 said:

compared to the sugar cubes I was using, this is tiny carb. I'd use one cube per 12oz bottle. 2.5g/cube and 22 beers is 55 g vs my final 43 on batch (after some adjustments on volume).

I like this method better.

After I cooled sugar water to 77, I poured in wort (already transfered to slimline). Stirred for 30 seconds. Waited 15 minutes to bottle...allowed to settle a bit. Do you all cold crash your bottling bucket? I was thinking that might be a good idea next time.

the little trub in the bottling bucket don't matter as it is spread over all the bottles. i transfer thru a food grade plastic tube slowly at first until the end of the tube is compleatly covered then open it all the way that will stir it. don't wait to bottle you don't want the sugar to start settling out. and i gently stir every 3rd beer to keep the sugar well mixed.