Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ckd77

mr beer

So I have been looking at a lot of homebrewing web sights, mostly looking for my next recipe to brew trying to get a few ideas, but what I come across a lot is how people say Mr beer is not really brewing beer. They all have negative things to say about it, but I rather like the brews I've brewed with Mr beer and will continue to use Mr beer even as I expand this new found love of home brewing. So is it that these brewers that laugh at Mr beer feel they are to good for it? I say don't knock it until ya try it. So I say brew on.

i've ran it to this in my lhbs. like the song says "the world is full of stupid people". what i don't understand is how is a MrB hme any different than the one they sell? other than amount, theirs being 5 gal..

"ckd77" post=360236 said:

I say don't knock it until ya try it. So I say brew on.

I think that's exactly it. IMO, Those brewers that have bad things to say about MrB either
1) never brewed with it to see how cool it is (therefore, not knowing what they're talking sbout);
or
2) used MrB briefly only to mess up a batch and blamed it on the company rather than the brewer (again, not knowing what they're talking about).

The only honest criticism I will accept from other brewers is that MrB is too "basic" by removing some steps in the brewing process. I, as well as other time strapped folks, see that as a perk.

Extract brewing is extract brewing. It doesn't matter the type of fermentation vessel or brand of the extracts. Extract brewing is simpler then PM or AG brewing and quicker on brew day also. You can make good beer with all three methods or bad beer for that matter. I love my Mr Beer as much as my other fermentation systems. I like their HMEs especially with my own additions. I also like to formulate my own recipes. To each his own. Does it really matter if somebody doesn't like your method as long as you are satisfied with it?

"Meytchison" post=360247 said:

Extract brewing is extract brewing. It doesn't matter the type of fermentation vessel or brand of the extracts. Extract brewing is simpler then PM or AG brewing and quicker on brew day also. You can make good beer with all three methods or bad beer for that matter. I love my Mr Beer as much as my other fermentation systems. I like their HMEs especially with my own additions. I also like to formulate my own recipes. To each his own. Does it really matter if somebody doesn't like your method as long as you are satisfied with it?

+1 as long as your happy. who cares what they think?

You could argue that extract brewing is like using a cake mix, while all grain brewing is like baking a cake from scratch. Assuming they are AG brewers, I guess they're just getting uppity about that. A lot of good cakes come from mixes and a lot (if not all) from-scratch bakers probably started out with mixes. If they are using other brands of extracts, then they're just too stupid to see that it's the same thing.
Those guys are clowns who need a way to feel better than you.

I agree I love y 2 lkbs and will continue to use them. I have nothing but great beer with them.

A couple years ago I went to my LHBS to buy some equipment to brew beer. I spent over $100 on stuff and got some advice from the resident expert. My first brew was a disaster. I ended up thinking I would never be able to brew beer. For Christmas my oldest son got me a Mr Beer kit. Based on past experiences I was skeptical but the Mr Beer instructions were so clear and the process seemed simple enough so I thought why not give it another try. My first brew (Classic American Light) was actually not only drinkable, but actually pretty good (although not really my style of beer).

Although truthfully I wouldn't be successful without help from the people on this forum. So I would say it's a combination of great products, a great process for beginners, a great platform for expanding skills, and a great forum for getting help to overcome problems.

So I have been looking at a lot of homebrewing web sights, mostly looking for my next recipe to brew trying to get a few ideas, but what I come across a lot is how people say Mr beer is not really brewing beer. They all have negative things to say about it, but I rather like the brews I've brewed with Mr beer and will continue to use Mr beer even as I expand this new found love of home brewing. So is it that these brewers that laugh at Mr beer feel they are to good for it? I say don't knock it until ya try it. So I say brew on.

neuken ze'nuf said

"Meytchison" post=360247 said:

And they all have used LME or Munton's extract or Cooper's extract in the past...no frickin' doubt about it!!!

I enjoy creating my own recipes, but many of these still have a foundation on a Mr Beer HME. The worst beers I ever created were some of my first attempts at all-grain, before I discovered errors that I was making. (I now call them "learning experiences".) I have had no bad outcomes with Mr Beer HME, and at worst they just haven't been as good as I can do with modifications.

"Foothiller" post=360261 said:

I enjoy creating my own recipes, but many of these still have a foundation on a Mr Beer HME. The worst beers I ever created were some of my first attempts at all-grain, before I discovered errors that I was making. (I now call them "learning experiences".) I have had no bad outcomes with Mr Beer HME, and at worst they just haven't been as good as I can do with modifications.

+1!

"T8r Salad" post=360259 said:

neuken ze'nuf said

and in german too

If it wasn't for Mr. Beer I wouldn't be here.
Thanks to Mr. Beer I have been introduced to the great wide world of Home Brewing!
I was a skeptic in the beginning, but now I'm a believer.
It's unfortunate that there are many people who are closed minded. Don't waste your time trying to make them understand, but do take the time to pass your knowledge onto those who will listen and learn.

Guest System Admin

Just because someone sits on a high horse and pontificates....does not make them correct.

I looked at almost every beer forum there is out there when I was first going to begin to read and research on brewing.

I found out pretty fast which forums were full of buttholes and which ones had people who were willing to help.

Looks like you were reading the forums full of buttholes.

"DadsBrew" post=360288 said:

Thanks to Mr. Beer I have been introduced to the great wide world of Home Brewing!

Same here. I never would have started brewing if it were not for MR B. I have not brewed a MR B kit in 4 1/2 years. Just not my cup of soup, I do All Grain. It is like making condensed soup compared to home-made. I do think it is the best way to introduce someone to the wonderful world of brewing. Gave kits to my nephews this past Christmas.

This overall is the best forum around. Generally a question is answered in minutes not days. You have to love the fact that MR B pays for this forum and it is open to all types and levels of brewers.

[attachment=12620]tumblr_lek64mRS6T1qakx30.gif[/attachment]

"haerbob3" post=360295 said:

"DadsBrew" post=360288 said:

Same here. I never would have started brewing if it were not for MR B. I have not brewed a MR B kit in 4 1/2 years. Just not my cup of soup, I do All Grain. It is like making condensed soup compared to home-made. I do think it is the best way to introduce someone to the wonderful world of brewing. Gave kits to my nephews this past Christmas.

This overall is the best forum around. Generally a question is answered in minutes not days. You have to love the fact that MR B pays for this forum and it is open to all types and levels of brewers.

[attachment=12620]tumblr_lek64mRS6T1qakx30.gif[/attachment]

i know what you mean i'm not fat 'cause momma's a good cook . i'm fat 'cause i'm a good cook. no offense ment by this analogy. i look at MrB like going to wendy's for chili, that's good chili, but i can do better. however doing better takes 3 days. so i buy a lot of wendy's chili, that's good chili. :)

i belong to a couple other sites but this one is where i did all of my learning. the others worry about "getting off topic" i've learned more from the off topic stuff than anything else. gets you to thinking in new ways

I do nothing but all grain now. I hang around on the forum because the people I learned to brew with are here. No matter how "advanced" I get I will never forget where I came from. I never would have tried brewing if it had not been for MrBeer. Here is a thread I started about MrBeer on the AHA forum. Look how many said that is how they got their start
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=11918.0
When someone asks me about brewing I always recommend they get a MrBeer kit. It is a small investment to find out whether or not they will like brewing. There is a very good chance of success. And a person can always advance step by step.

"TheGrove" post=360251 said:

You could argue that extract brewing is like using a cake mix, while all grain brewing is like baking a cake from scratch. Assuming they are AG brewers, I guess they're just getting uppity about that. A lot of good cakes come from mixes and a lot (if not all) from-scratch bakers probably started out with mixes. If they are using other brands of extracts, then they're just too stupid to see that it's the same thing.
Those guys are clowns who need a way to feel better than you.

You can make really bad cakes from scratch, and really bad beer from AG too. The reason cake mixes, and stuff like HMEs exist are to give consistent good results, maybe not as good as if you were a good baker or good AG brewer, but "good enough" for many folks, and perhaps better then what they would do on their own depending on how meticulous/process oriented they are.

If someone who is an AG brewer gets really defensive about HMEs, or even regular extract based beers, as having to be of "lower quality" I tend to think of them as being more afraid that maybe it's not in their case...

My cousin got me into brewing. He does mostly AG but he told me about Mr Beer and suggested that I start there. I got the Mr Beer kit back in September and never looked back.

People will voice their opinions about Mr Beer, both good and bad, but without it I think many people would have never gotten into home brewing.

I just take for what it is, and opinion.

In any area of life, some people like to think of themselves as part of an exclusive group that is far above the common folk. Mr. Beer is inexpensive to start with, easy to use at the beginning level, as reliable as any natural process is likely to be, and widely marketed. None of those are bad things, but with all of those being true it's hard to feel exclusive. I don't care about feeling "special", I care about learning and enjoying the process. Brewing with Mr. Beer can be as complicated and expensive as you want it to be, but I don't, at this stage of my life, have the experience, time or space to go beyond extract brewing; I can combine extracts, experiment with hops and yeasts, and make quantities that are manageable in the space that's available. The nearest LHBS sells Mr. Beer refills and ingredients (and lots of other stuff too), the people are friendly and don't show signs of thinking I'm inferior because of what I buy from them, and they are likely to continue to get my business. The people I've encountered here are a major part of the fun I've been having.

While I don't support the disdain for Mr. Beer, I can understand it, to a degree. It's almost too easy, so how good can it be? It's not your recipe, so are you really brewing, at the most basic definition?

Let's step away from it and look at it from another POV. If your eight-year-old niece got an Easy-Bake Oven for her birthday, and mixed up the package and set it under the light bulb and then gave you the cake that came out of it, you'd say, "Why, thank you, honey! You baked that yourself? Thank you! That's great!"

But it's not the same thing, really, it's a toy, and it's been scaled back and simplified so much, you really can't go wrong, and the cake is just two bites for a grown man. It's kid stuff.

I'm not saying that this is what Mr. Beer, is. Please understand that. But I am saying that perhaps this is the perception of what Mr. Beer is. It's kid stuff, compared to doing an original AG recipe that takes all morning and part of the afternoon.

That being said, I conclude that these people are wrong. I do my AG batches, and I'm very fond of them. I actually prefer them to the Mr. Beer products, but there may be many other factors contributing to that feeling besides the ingredients and the process.

But I also do Mr. Beer recipes, and always have. It keeps my pipeline full, which is good. It makes two of my three brew-days very easy, which is a real convenience. It has a lot of variety, which teaches me about different beer styles and makes me that much more likely to succeed if I pursue an original AG recipe of a certain style. And Mr. Beer recipes make good beer. The ingredients are top quality, and the results are consistently good.

I think, whatever your level of brewing expertise, you probably started with extracts and kits. Mr. Beer is just another type of extract kit. To knock it is to knock them all, and I find it hypocritical for anyone who started at that level to disdain his roots after going beyond that level.

I can't say for sure, obviously, but I would be willing to bet that Charlie Papazian, John Palmer, Jamil Zainasheff, and the other "gurus" of homebrew, wouldn't say these things about Mr. Beer.

I really don't care what anyone thinks about anything I do or own. I don't drive a car to impress others, I drive what I want to drive. I don't keep my house and property well groomed to impress others - I want it that way. I brew my own beer now because I like it, and it's nice that I spend less than buying it, but most important is the wide selection I now have and that I like it.

Sure, there are homebrewers that turn their noses down on Mr. Beer. There are also homebrewers that feel that way about those lowlifes that brew in buckets, because they have a fancier method. I'm sure people that use the Synergy system ($2k+), or the $4,500 WilliamsWarn system, or have their own brewery like this guy -
[attachment=12624]breweryingarage.jpg[/attachment] turn their noses down on everyone else. Look at him standing their, arms crossed like he's superior to all of us... :laugh:

"Yeah, your "Mr. Beer" system is inferior to mine. The fact that I'm going to lose my house because of what I spent on my in-home brewery... And I brew in flip flops, so there!"

My nephews love the MR Beer system. They are both students putting themselves thru school. One going for his doctorate the other his B.S. Neither live at home both work full time go to school full time. Being able to come home and get a batch of beer going in an hour or so is very important to them. They love the quality of AG but neither has the time to do it. We like to get together to brew. Sometimes it is MR B Kits other times I have gotten all of the steps done. They will come over for the boil, split it between all of our fermenters. They do the bottling. So MR B is helping keeping us all engaged with each other.

You have to love that!!!!

If you were to ask me when I first got my kit, I would have told you that the beer I made was less than good. It was 10-15 years ago and the directions said 1 week fermenting and 1 week carbing. The beer was yeasty and had very little head when poured. So I stopped brewing beer altogether. Fast forward to the present with a new kit. I am making beer that I enjoy with my Mr. Beer kit. It has me brewing in my LBK about once a month. I have even started doing 5 gal batches so I can get my pipeline well stocked.

Originally Mr. Beer kit did not make good beer. But the kits now are 100% better as long as you follow the 3-4 rule.

Beer is what you make it. Not HOW you make it. You can go the "village" way, (extract), or the Lone Wolf way (AG). In the glass, it just doesn't matter.

I've taught a few people that lesson. Had the Pres. of a Local Brew Club tell me the only way to make a good beer was All Grain. I just looked him in the eye, and said, "OK".

I started buying other stuff, as I wanted to expant my abilities, and kept "smiling" each time he'd go into that little mantra.

Once I had him thinking I'm doing Partials, (I had moved to kits and doing my own thing with DME/hops/steeping) I took some beers in for their "expert" advice.
What I didn't tell them was, they were MB products. No additions, such as steeped grains. Just 100% MB products.

Well, I got told, I had improved, that the beer was really getting better, and they enjoyed the beers.

I kept the smile, but let them know, it was all MB product. Needless to say, it took a while for the spots to heal from stepping on his "Bidnez" with cleats.

They don't talk bad about it now.
I have, however, moved on to all grain. I still wouldn't mind doing an extract for the flavors.
:huh: crap. I rambled. Sorry.. I'm outta this now.

Guest System Admin

To be quite frank - it is not brewing beer... I mean think about it...

When I made the "Classic" American Light, I boiled water, took it off of the burner and added the HME. Stirred it a bit and added the packet that came with it. After a few weeks I added some sugar to a bottle and add this mixture to bottles. After a few more weeks I put it in the 'fridge and....

Wait, bad example, I am pretty sure I had beer.

Maybe I can point out another "batch" that wasn't really brewing beer..

Take the St. Pat Stout I did...

I boiled some water, added some LME, and then added these pellet things... wait, wait, wait.... this isn't right... now that I think about it, I had beer with this one too (and it was quite tasty!.

Well then, I guess I should change my opinion. If I really think about it, and look at all of my own experiences, "brewing" with Mr. Beer really is brewing beer.

Like yankeedag said... beer is what you make it, not HOW you make (paraphrasing, of course).

I've been using MrB since the day after Xmas of '09. While I have expanded and done many 5gals mostly using other kits, the MrB extracts are as good as or better than any other brand of hopped extracts I've used. I hang around the borg to take in the knowledge and experience of others and share my experiences (albeit limited) as well. I also find it entertaining. I'm not one to have 1200 posts in 3 months (please, no one quit the borg :lol: ), but I'm normally lurking.

I've mulled going to all-grain or partial mashes for the past year, but haven't yet made the leap (although the most recent kit I purchased is going to force me to do a PM). I just LOVE the simplicity, ease and time saved using MrB extracts. 99.9% of the reviews are very good. Most importantly, I LIKE MY BEERS!
:chug:

GOOD beer = Mr Beer!

CHEERS!

I love my Mr. Beer kit. As many others have already stated it has it pros and cons. But as a new brewer it has way more pros. It gives you a chance to start to learn the science behind brewing while seeing results without the aggravation of more complex all grain brews. It's also great for those of us who don't have the time or space required for all grain brews. Living in an apartment limits my ability to store equipment and ingrediants, so the simplified process that Mr. Beer offers is perfect for my set up. I'll be moving into my first house in the next two months and will hopefully be able to set up a bigger, dedicated brewing area, in which case I look forward to graduating up to partial mash and all grain brews, but I've yet to be disappointed with the results I've had from HME's.

:cheers:

MB has never claimed to be anything other than an entry level system. It's really no different than any other HME kit. I confess that I always perceived a really bad extract twang from their old extracts, but not everyone did. Neither my wife nor son could taste what I found so offensive. I do suspect that that is one reason that some people are disdainful of the product though. Happily, I taste none of that with the new extracts.

I've never made a secret to our club or local HBS of the fact that I got my start with MB, although some in the brewing community don't admit t it until they hear it from someone else first. Seems kind of silly to me, especially given the fact that so much HBS business is driven by those who did start with a simple kit. The ease of it is what made brewing accessible to me. I know I'm far from alone. Jami Zainasheff started with a Mr. Beer kit. I'm guessing no one gives him any grief over it.

I can have fun with these haters as well. When they go off on me about truly not brewing (like they do of course), I let them go on for awhile and then probe them as to what truly constitutes brewing beer. Trap is then set. "What, you buy your hops pelletized? Now thats just cheating. After all, I have to grow them, cut them down, run them through my Wolfe harvester, then dry them in the dryer, and finally put them through the hammer mill before I can make my beer. 'You Guys' are cutting corners way more than me and my Mr. Beer. So why exactly is your way more true than mine?"

Since Da Yooper mentioned hops, I'll mention that I planted 2 hop plants (one each Chinook and Willamette) and I look forward to using my home grown hops in my cheap, silly, amateurish, extract brews. Just because I want to. I probably won't apply all the steps Da Yooper mentioned; I don't even know what a Wolfe harvester is, but it's probably not for harvesting wolves--aren't they still a protected species?

"Jim Johnson" post=360240 said:

i've ran it to this in my lhbs. like the song says "the world is full of stupid people". what i don't understand is how is a MrB hme any different than the one they sell? other than amount, theirs being 5 gal..

Refreshments/RCPM reference?

I love this analogy and I think it is right on the money. A few years ago I went through culinary school (my mid life crisis). In baking class we made scratch cakes. After we finished my Chef Instructor said, “Now that you know how to make scratch cakes, you should us a mix. The cake mix manufacturers spend lots of money on R and D to make an easy to use, high quality product available. Take advantage of their investment.”

It seems to me the same applies to Mr. Beer HME.

All of us have great points, but I will add my share. For me, I had no clue how to start brewing. I have a friend who homebrews, 5 gallon AG, and he has done it for a number of years, even before I met him. When I was talking to him about his setup and how to brew, I was lost. He has a setup made from 3 kegs, propane burners, and even an advanced control panel which controls his temperatures and runs his sparge pump for a set time limit so he sparges the same amount, every time. I wanted to brew my own beer, but I could never get the setup he had. Even when he said, "you don't need everything I have here" it was hard to believe him because everything he had has its purpose, and it made sense. How could I brew if I didn't have a sparge pump? Fast forward 3 years and the wife gets me the Mr. Beer kit, and my parents get me the Brooklyn Brewshop AG kit. Suddenly I realize, I don't need all that stuff, and I CAN make beer! For that, I am truly grateful to Mr. Beer. I can make beer at home, the LBK fits perfectly in the one tiny hole I have in my tiny house. MB taught me the basics, and now I can learn from the Borg and soon I am brewing up my own original extract recipe.

"4stringdude" post=360445 said:

I love this analogy and I think it is right on the money. A few years ago I went through culinary school (my mid life crisis). In baking class we made scratch cakes. After we finished my Chef Instructor said, “Now that you know how to make scratch cakes, you should us a mix. The cake mix manufacturers spend lots of money on R and D to make an easy to use, high quality product available. Take advantage of their investment.”

If I tried to serve a cake mix cake at work I would get fired. I for one can taste the difference. A mix cake is good but a from scratch cake blows it away. With as easy as it is to make a scratch cake and since the time required is about the same why would you use a mix??? Yes I am a pastry chef.

"haerbob3" post=360450 said:

If I tried to serve a cake mix cake at work I would get fired. I for one can taste the difference. A mix cake is good but a from scratch cake blows it away. With as easy as it is to make a scratch cake and since the time required is about the same why would you use a mix??? Yes I am a pastry chef.

Duncan Hines Mr. Beer is still pretty darn good, though, and easy to make!

Not arguing that point. I prefer the condensed soup to home-made soup comparison. Both are good, both can be great. The main reasons I prefer AG is I think it tastes better I find the whole process more relaxing and being able to brew a beer exactly how I want it is the icing on the cake.

Mr Beer is most likely the best way for some one to get started. If you follow the BORG guidelines you will have good beer. MR Beer should be sending the new brewers here to make sure they start off in the best manner possible. Even though I do not brew the MR B way anymore I do like giving the kits as gifts.

Those who do not think that MR B brews good beer should be in the circus as a contortionist because you know where their head is at!!! :woohoo: :silly: :silly: :woohoo:

"haerbob3" post=360450 said:

haerbob3, you are up on me for sure. I am not pastry chef and don't have that inclination. Too much chemistry for me to be a success. I've been an IT professional since 1978. I just wanted to become a better cook so... I went to school.

As I'm reading through this thread something struck me.

There are no cabinetmakers left. People who mistakenly call themselves cabinetmakers are frauds! They use plywood that they buy pre-made from a manufacturer. They even use particle board and MDF. If it's not made of solid wood that is planed and cut to length by the craftsman himself then it is not real cabinetmaking!

If you think MB is not making beer, or using any other extract, then throw away your kitchen cabinets and other furniture that is made with plywood, MDF and other modern building products.

Another thing struck me. I remember years ago when I first became interested in home brewing I was in a bar and saw a guy with a t-shirt from a local brewing club. We were both pretty drunk and had a great conversation. I told him I was just getting into brewing and he gave me some advice. He told me the biggest secret of successful brewing. It wasn't about mash thickness or temperature. It wasn't about some esoteric hopping schedule or magical yeast. He said, "Sanitation". I may not love every MB experiment I tried, but every one of them is clean tasting because I never forgot that conversation. Sanitation is important in brewing MB and in brewing a triple decoction mash. It's all brewing and while some "hater" is getting all wound up I will enjoy the Bewitched Amber I brewed last night because it will taste clean and yummy!

I love my Mr. Beer so much I keep a giant picture of him in my bedroom. :laugh:

[attachment=12634]RI6802.jpg[/attachment]

I LOVE MR BEER

I do intend to eventually do AG
I want to do 5 gal and more
I want to learn and do it all

But I love where I started
And I dont think I will ever stop using Mr Beer

Well what do the members of the other forums know anyway? All the Mr. Beer experts are here. If only the people asking the questions about Mr B on those forums found this place first.

I don't butcher my own cows, or make my own barbeque sauce but when I cook ribs on the grill I'm usually happy combining the ingredients that other people prepared for me. Much the same here. Got me into the hobby and am making beer!

"haerbob3" post=360457 said:

The main reasons I prefer AG is I think it tastes better I find the whole process more relaxing and being able to brew a beer exactly how I want it is the icing on the cake.

I absolutely agree that my AG brews are my favorites, for these reasons, and also because they're recipes I concocted myself. The satisfaction I get from deciding which grains and hops to choose to get the flavors I'm imagining, and then achieving those flavors when I drink the final product, is indescribable.

Having said that, I don't feel I'm compromising by brewing two out of every three batches with straight-up MB recipes.

You can play semantics all day long, not making cabinets unless you are preping all the boards, not cooking unless you butcher cows etc. Some people will be purists and that's fine for them. As a Chef, I feel if you boil your ribs before you cook them, all the power to you. I don't for my own beliefs. You are still cooking ribs. Abd who says cabinets can't be made of plywood? If they can't, what are hanging on the walls of many peoples homes? Using extracts is just taking advantage of a time saving step. Someone does it for you, consistantly so the product doesn't vary. (in theory I guess) If you are not making beer, then what are you making?
It's not worth getting hung up on someone elses opinion. That's all it is, an opinion.
I do agree with others that you have more control doing an AG. This is a hobby, something to enjoy, no matter how you do it. That can apply to all hobbies...

WilliamsWarn sells canned HME for use with their system. The differences between that and MB are money (lots and lots of money) and automation. With either system you can be creative or you can use a canned HME and get a great beer designed by somebody else. Those who feel superior because they have lots of money and spend it on expensive toys are welcome to feel that way, but I'll never be one.

the others worry about "getting off topic" i've learned more from the off topic stuff than anything else. gets you to thinking in new ways

This forums has ADHD as this very thread has gotten "off topic" several times already. :think:

I am slowing going to extract and possibly biab I still will not turn my nose up to mrbeer. I like to lbk size and may try some more twist on the refills. Just because I do not brew 10gl at a time does not mean Im serious about making a good beer.

I told my LHBS that I use Mr beer. They don't seem to have a negative opinion, especially since ive spent a few hundred bucks feeding this obsession. My money spends the same as a AG brewer using a 3000 dollar conical fermenter.

Man! Where to start? Most have already summed it up very well. I mostly do AG now. But I got my start with MrBeer. It taught me all the basic of brewing and I made some really great beers too! I recommend it to a lot of people that are curious about brewing. It's a great way to learn the process and grow the obsession. I love that they have brought back the seasonals! They were always my favorite.

As far as someone telling you that AG is the only way to make great homebrew, that's rediculous! It just gives you greater freedom to be more creative. But that's it. I've had some uber planetary awesome beers brewed from extract! Some that I even enjoyed more than my own AG creations. :ohmy:

"pspearing" post=360424 said:

Since Da Yooper mentioned hops, I'll mention that I planted 2 hop plants (one each Chinook and Willamette) and I look forward to using my home grown hops in my cheap, silly, amateurish, extract brews. Just because I want to. I probably won't apply all the steps Da Yooper mentioned; I don't even know what a Wolfe harvester is, but it's probably not for harvesting wolves--aren't they still a protected species?

No wolves were harmed in the making of these hops....

[attachment=12673]harvester.jpg[/attachment]