Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
thedeity

Who's your Hefé? German Wheat

I did get a couple spring seasonals, but I'm really thinking of starting this one first. I have only done a few recipes and looking forward to try this one. First time using liquid yeast and hops.

Any tips especially with the liquid yeast or fermentation temp?

Brewed my Hefe early February, It was Pretty Good! Very happy with it.

Make sure you bust the inner packet inside. This helps get the yeast going. I left mine out just like the instruction state on the bag.
Fermented at 62-65 degrees.

[attachment=12639]Hefe2_2013-04-08.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12640]Brew4.jpg[/attachment]

I actually just tried my first bottle of this! Best one yet in my opinion. For this yeast, you have two options. If you want more of a clover taste, ferment at the lower end of the temp range (64). If you want more of banana taste, ferment in the low to mid 70's. I fermented at about 72 and it came out great.

So...another question. Since you don't use the yeast that comes with the can...what can I use it for, or what would it go with?

I saved my in the fridge until I did a Extract I bought from my Local Brew Store. I used a simple Un-Hopped Malt Extract (UME) with some hops that I had left over from a few All Grain (AG) Brew in a bag (BIAB) recipes. It seems to be working fine.

"thedeity" post=361045 said:

So...another question. Since you don't use the yeast that comes with the can...what can I use it for, or what would it go with?

eventually you'll get in to other brewing and the extra yeast can come in handy. 'cause you forgot to get yeast at the lbhs. or perhaps you'll find you want to try making hard cider. or use as a nutrient in a starter wort.

How long did you let your Hefé ferment? Follow the standard 3 week rule? This is the first one that I have had to clean the lid and some minor overflow on it, more than once. I'm guessing liquid yeast is a lot more active then the normal packets.

i've never brewed MrB wheats, but my own take 2 weeks. you must have a hydrometer to be sure it's done if only going 2 weeks in the fermenter.

Yeah, I followed the 3 week rule for fermentation. I did start drinking them after only 3 weeks of conditioning since wheats are good young.

"irishgal12888" post=362416 said:

Yeah, I followed the 3 week rule for fermentation. I did start drinking them after only 3 weeks of conditioning since wheats are good young.

+1

Drank a few of mine yesterday and it did turn out good, my best one yet. I did 3 weeks in lbk at 66 degrees and cracked my first one at 3 weeks in the bottle. Make sure the smack pack is broken and I let it set out for 3 hours so the package swells.