Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mjbearit

Diablo IPA

Recommended Posts

Well 3 weeks would have actually been this past Sunday, but I'm sure 3 weeks and a couple days won't make a huge difference! :laugh: So the Diablo IPA is now finished and in bottles. I dry-hopped it with 1/4 oz Cascade and 1/4 oz Columbus. Realizing that the profile will change as this brew matures, when I pulled my sample tube it was very fragrant! After taking my FG reading I tasted the tube sample and it is very interesting. It is what I would consider to be on the very bitter side, but with an overall pleasing flavor (if you like IPAs). If you are not a fan of IPAs this is definitely not the brew for you. I already know my wife will hate this one! :ohmy: But that's okay, there's plenty of other choices! :)
Coming up in a week or two the NW Pale Ale will be ready to bottle. It is heavily modified from the original profile so it should be interesting to see how it comes out.
:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will politely disagree with you but just slightly. My first impression with the Diablo (dry-hopped with Citra) was wow, I won't want this again...time it is a changin'. The longer I condition this, the better this one is and I would actually brew it again just as I did...straight up until the dry-hop. SWMBO hates hopped beer and really so do i but that is a very general statement. I guess i am a particular hops drinker. Yours will only improve with time, not that it is bad now but just saying from my personal experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely noticed a huge difference at 5 weeks. The plain bittering has mellowed immensely and allowed the late addition and dry hops to come forward making this a very enjoyable IPA. I personally would add even more hops but that's just my preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Beer-lord" post=360912 said:

I definitely noticed a huge difference at 5 weeks. The plain bittering has mellowed immensely and allowed the late addition and dry hops to come forward making this a very enjoyable IPA. I personally would add even more hops but that's just my preference.

Beer-lord....did you keg or bottle up that batch?


Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first reaction was that I wouldn't enjoy this beer and was going to have to choke down 21+ bottles. Over time, I did start to appreciate this beer. I dry hopped with only 1/4 oz of Cascades. I truthfully didn't even notice them until this had conditioned for close to 8 weeks. I noticed a big change in the beer from 4 weeks of conditioning to 8 weeks. Overall, this wasn't my favorite beer but one that I gradually started to enjoy. I like a hoppy beer but not so much of the over powering bitterness. I'm a big Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Torpedo fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"rickbray66" post=360917 said:

"Beer-lord" post=360912 said:

I definitely noticed a huge difference at 5 weeks. The plain bittering has mellowed immensely and allowed the late addition and dry hops to come forward making this a very enjoyable IPA. I personally would add even more hops but that's just my preference.

Beer-lord....did you keg or bottle up that batch?


Rick


I bottled it. I haven't kegged a Mr. Beer batch in a long time and usually keep the kegs for my all grain batches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I guess I was totally unclear in that one! What I was saying was I was over the 3 weeks fermenting time by 2 days before I got around to bottling it, but it should not make a difference. Sorry about that!
I agree that conditioning makes great changes! This one may need to go more than 4 weeks conditioning to mellow it a tad, JMHO.
:cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Beer-lord" post=360933 said:

"rickbray66" post=360917 said:

"Beer-lord" post=360912 said:

I definitely noticed a huge difference at 5 weeks. The plain bittering has mellowed immensely and allowed the late addition and dry hops to come forward making this a very enjoyable IPA. I personally would add even more hops but that's just my preference.

Beer-lord....did you keg or bottle up that batch?


Rick


I bottled it. I haven't kegged a Mr. Beer batch in a long time and usually keep the kegs for my all grain batches.

Gotcha. When I brewed this up back in November, I kegged it. I brewed it straight-up and fermented for 3 weeks, aged for a little over 2 weeks before tapping. I enjoyed it quite well and really couldn't tell much difference before it was gone within 2 weeks.

I kegged my 2nd batch of this back on March 31. This time around it will age for 4 weeks or better before I tap it. Will be interesting to see if I notice any difference. Usually though, my memory is not so good.


Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I added 1/2oz Columbus and 1/2oz Centennial to mine as late hops. And I like it quite a bit, but I would actually double the hop amounts next time or dry hop on top, as it's losing a bit of the late hops now with some age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time I brewed it straight up and wasn't pleased at all. A biting, bitter ending that had absolutely no flavor and even less aroma.
I can't recall right now what I did to it but I only added the LME then 2 hop additions (3/4 oz at 20-simcoe and 1/2 oz at just before flameout-centennial). I thought I did a steep but now I'm not sure and can't locate my notes.
But, I do know I dry hopped with 1/4 oz Centennial (cuz I had leftovers laying around) and 1/2 oz of Amarillo.
It's not my top 10 IPA but I'd definitely do it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I brewed it straight up and liked it. I got compliments on it at a party as well. It's not as hoppy as what I consider to be an IPA, but I like bitter, I find it does have flavor, and I like to do HME's the way they were made.

I ordered more. It will be brewed soon, as is. Maybe a little sugar to jack up the ABV ... a little doesn't change the profile for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the great thing about this place, we all don't have the same exact likes and dislikes so it's up to the brewer to make the beer like he/she likes it.

I've got 2 in the fridge I'm bringing to friends tonite and they've not tasted it since it was only 3 weeks in the bottle. They are in for a surprise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...