Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Wilipepper

Want to boost flavor, not just alc. of beer.

I want to boost flavor, don't care about boost in alc. will adding dry malt extract help? If it does, when to add and how much.

Would help if you gave us an idea of what beer you are making so we can help to make a determination.

Adding DME will help in adding flavor but it will also add the toe ABV. It just depends on how much you add as to how much it will affect the Alcohol level. Consequently adding most flavoring that has sugar will increase the Alcohol level but it may not be significant enough to be a concern.

I have an open keg an my wife got me...ick....classic American light mix, and I will have to boost flavor if I want to even think of drinking it.

It is too late for that beer. But in the future if you want to boost flavor without upping ABV steeping grains are the way to go.

I have not started that batch yet. If I don't use it, she will get pissed. How much DME do you think it would take to make it drinkable?

Guest System Admin

First off Welcome aboard!

The addition of more malt (LME or DME) will give the beer more flavor and body, but is the malt flavor you want or hops, etc...

Do you have a beer you want to be similar too (IPA, Wheat, Belgian, etc)

Then we have an idea of what flavor your wanting to add.

Example would be you want to make a better "Oktoberfest Lager"

Instead of the standard refill buy deluxe refill
Buy some hops

Hallertau, Tettnanger or U.S. Saaz

Brewing that will make a way better Oktoberfest than the standard refill

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Wilipepper. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: we have BEER.

You can add one pound of light DME or Light LME. Any more than that, you'll need to add a hop boil.

Play with that one first, then, you can look into steeping grains, hop boils, LME/DME.

If you add LME you will add both alcohol and flavor. MB sells dry and liquid malt extract LME in several flavors, and that seems to me to be the easy way to improve CAL. Anything with fermentable sugar will add alcohol, and the flavor comes from what's not fermented or only partly fermented. If you add hops you can add flavor without adding alcohol, but that may not be what you want. Not knowing your particular tastes (except that you find that CAL doesn't have much flavor, with which I concur) I'm not qualified to say what you would like, but MB sells several recipes incorporating CAL; this might be a source of ideas: http://www.mrbeer.com/category-exec/category_id/24

"Wilipepper" post=361284 said:

I have not started that batch yet. If I don't use it, she will get pissed. How much DME do you think it would take to make it drinkable?

Sorry about that. I misunderstood your post. The other posters are giving sound advice. But the DME will add alcohol content to your beer.

Do the Cowgirl Honey Light recipe replacing the Booster with DME or LME. This recipe uses a cup of honey and some grated ginger, and has a nice flavor. It takes a while to condition, though, mine wasn't quite ready at 4 weeks.

"Wilipepper" post=361334 said:

Do you boil the honey and ginger or put them in raw?

From the MR. Beer Instructions. Sub DME for the Booster. My recommendations is to use 1/2 lb of DME as the Honey itself will increase the ABV as well.

Remove the yeast packet from under the lid of the can of the Classic American Light hopped malt extract (HME), and then place the unopened can in hot tap water. a

Place 1 packet (1/2 oz.) of Saaz pellet hops into the hop sack tying it closed, then trim away excess material

Using the sanitized measuring cup, pour 4 cups of water into your clean 3-quart pot then SLOWLY sprinkle in the pouch of Booster™ while continually stirring to avoid clumping.

Bring this to a boil, and then remove from heat. Pour the HME, 1 cup honey, 1 teaspoon grated ginger, and hops (in hop sack) in and stir until thoroughly mixed.b This mixture of unfermented beer is called wort.

Fill keg with cold tap water to the 4-quart mark on the back.c

Pour the wort into the keg, and then bring the volume of the keg to the 8.5-quart mark by adding more cold water. Mix well with the spoon.

Sprinkle the yeast packet into the keg, then stir vigorously and screw the lid onto the keg. d

Put your keg in a location with a consistent temperature between 68°and 76° F and out of direct sunlight.e Ferment for 7-14 days.

After approximately 24 hours, you will be able to see the fermentation process happening by shining a flashlight into the keg. You'll see the yeast in action in the wort. The liquid will be opaque and milky, you will see rising bubbles in the liquid, and there will be bubbles on the surface. Cool, eh!?

:banana: :banana: to you for chasing flavor instead of alcoholic punch! I'd much prefer a couple bottles of an excellent session brew than 1 bottle of a high gravity brew. Usually. Everything has its place and time and some times call for sippin'.

I may be off base here, but if you want to spend a few more bucks, getting a good liquid yeast would probably help the flavor out, too. From what I've heard and read on this forum, yeast makes just as much if not more of an impact on taste as the other ingredients do.

"Sundance" post=361380 said:

I may be off base here, but if you want to spend a few more bucks, getting a good liquid yeast would probably help the flavor out, too. From what I've heard and read on this forum, yeast makes just as much if not more of an impact on taste as the other ingredients do.

That really depends on the yeast. Most dry yeasts these days are of great quality. Unless you have something like a Belgian or a Hefe yeast the flavor profile will be negligible or very similar.

If I did CAL again i would add 1lb of light DME and do a hop boil with cascade hops. Maybe @20min and 5min or dry hoping the second additions. This would give you some more flavor and still keep it a light brew.

Wilipepper~

I can of the Classic American is about 3% ABV. That PLUS 1 Lb of DME would bring it up to about 4.2% or so.

Now, I did understand that you are in favor of taste over alcohol content...and I applaud that. So, yes, the DME...a Golden Light or Amber DME might work well here. I assume Pilsen might...but I'd go with the heartier Golden Light or Amber.

In addition, the Classic American comes with 11 IBUs. 11 is mighty thin. A flavor boil on a hop is best around the 22 minute mark. So adding 1/2-to-3/4 oz of a nice citrus or floral hop would work well. If you're looking at the Mr. Beer hop line -- Cascade, Centenniel or even the Glacier might work well. In fact, you could buy 2 of whatever you pick and then add the second with 5 days left in the fermentation to enhance the aroma side...without messing with the IBUs.

...just might thoughts.

"Sundance" post=361380 said:

Sundance~

I would agree. Although Hazardous does note that there is a great deal of good in dry yeasts...I have always found more diversity in liquid yeasts.

More to the point...the selection of a good yeast (regardless) is often critical in a good brew. You could have great malts, but if you select a yeast that sucks turd...still not going to turn out well. Meanwhile, if you select a "Nothing Special" Pale 2-Row and a great yeast, you could have a great beer.