Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ScottyP

Apple Ale with Cider refill?

Just out of curiosity I am wondering if anyone has tried combining a Mr. Beer(or other) cider refill with HME/LME/DME to create an apple beer. I am planning on making an apple wheat in the near future and saw that the Mr.Beer/Coopers cider refills were coming back this month. I don't even know if combining a cider refill with a regular refill would even work at all but just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has tried this, or thinks it would work.

They used to have an apple ale. I made it, tasted it, let it condition longer, tried it again. All I will say is it is one of a very few batches I have dumped out. Nasty!

Good to know, maybe I'll stick with original plan of of using apple flavoring or extract.

Some guys on here like it, I don't. You might, hate to steer ya away from something u might like. I'm just saying, *I* hated the crap out of it... LOL.

There is a recipe in the book that most of us got with out Seasonal White IPA(s), back in the cider section. I dont have mine handy at work but I remember it having an old cider refill (Im sure the new will work also), DME, and spices...If someone can look up the recipe and post it that would be cool, otherwise I'll try to remember it tomorrow.

Thank you, KokomoSam

Now, how to convert that in to the new products...
How much did: 1can of Amber UME weigh? and the old cider cans?

or could we just assume....boil 1/2-1lb of Amber DME/LME, add 1/2c Honey(maybe optional to add after primary frementation?), add new cider, flameout hop 1oz liberty, cool it down, put in LBK, pitch yeast.

I tried all the old MB cider recipes and they were all pretty nasty. Here is a recipe that I have made 3 batches so far and I enjoy:

2 gal. Apple 100% juice
1 can Apple juice consentrate
1 lb. your choice DME/LME
2 1/2 cups your choice white/brown sugar
1 pk 7gr Coopers yeast.
Add water to fill line on LBK

Ferment 4 weeks, test one 2 months later.

My ABV ranges around 9-10%, but you can adjust that with less/more sugar.

Thanks for the input guys. It will be interesting to see how mine will turn out. Hopefully brewing in a few weeks

"SmokeDiver3zero" post=362377 said:

I tried all the old MB cider recipes and they were all pretty nasty. Here is a recipe that I have made 3 batches so far and I enjoy:

2 gal. Apple 100% juice
1 can Apple juice consentrate
1 lb. your choice DME/LME
2 1/2 cups your choice white/brown sugar
1 pk 7gr Coopers yeast.
Add water to fill line on LBK

Ferment 4 weeks, test one 2 months later.

My ABV ranges around 9-10%, but you can adjust that with less/more sugar.

SmokerDiver, how was the apple flavor at the time of drinking? I made nearly the same recipe except I didn't use the can of apple concentrate and mine had little to no apple flavor at 9%. I put 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in one bottle and that one was the best, next time I'll add cinnamon to the whole batch.