Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
4stringdude

Gravity measurements

I am planning on making a Honey Wheat soon (probably this weekend). I’ve read plenty of opinion on when to add the honey. I’ve decided to add it to the LBK 3 days into the fermentation. My question concerns taking gravity readings. As I see it, there will be an OG after the boil. But, when I add the honey, it will up the gravity again. How do I figure the target FG so I can be certain when fermentation is done? Also, how could I possibly figure the approximate ABV?

I know I could just leave it in the LBK for 3 weeks and call it done. However, I’d kinda like to be a little more specific than that. I’m sure I’m over analyzing this. I should just RDWHAHB. But the geek in me wants to know.

I just did a Belgian Strong Golden and had to do some sugar "feedings" in order to not burn the yeast out. I used QBrew and plugged in all of the ingredients as if they were going in at the same time to get an estimated OG/FG. I took two separate hydrometer readings and compared that to the expected FG from QBrew (I was under by .001).

Once I had a stable FG I figured it was ready to bottle (though I essentially lagered it for two more weeks).

Sorry this is not the exact algorithm for calculating post fermentation additions and their respective gravity but this is what I did when in a similar situation.

:cheers:

Most calcs will assume full attenuation. Your adding late to not achieve full attenuation and leave some honey taste. So the best you can do is guesstimate.

Also, you might want to rethink 3 days. What you really want to do is to add it after active fermentation.