Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Incognitum

Winter Dark Ale, Parting thoughts...

I brewed the Winter Dark Ale up for my second batch a few months ago. It's taken me awhile to work through each bottle, but I'm drinking the last one tonight and thought it would be a good time to write up a few thoughts on it.

Honestly, it took me forever to finish this one. I brewed and swallowed 3 more batches before I cracked open the last of these tonight.

Don't get me wrong. The beer turned out great, but I realized it's not a style of beer I am used to drinking and I had a hard time throwing back more than a couple in a sitting. I'm more into Pales, IPA, Wheats, etc. I wasn't used to something as malty... and I do not like coffee, so the aroma and flavor just wasn't what I am used to.

With that said... I don't know if it just aged better with time (it did) or if I just grew more accustomed to the taste and style of the beer (I did) but the last 6 or 7 of these that I've had over the last couple weeks have tasted amazing. By far the tastiest of everything I've brewed (all four of the craft beers a couple times each).

I actually had one of these two nights ago. Got a little buzz off the pint and decided to sample the first of a Northwestern Pale Ale that had been conditioning for 3 weeks and refrigerated for a couple days. The NWPA actually tasted bad, very watery. I was bummed out that I may have messed up my batch, but I think it was because the Winter Dark was so heavy and flavorful that it made the NWPA weak in comparison. To test this theory, I tried a couple more NWPA's last night to make sure.... they taste good ;)

I'm finishing the last of this brew as I finish this post and I am bummed to see it go. I wish I had another rolling down the pipeline.

Mine definitely got better with age but still has a weak flavor. With some added malt and hops, I think it would be greatly improved though by itself, it's not too shabby.

Thanks Incognitum for the update on your take of this. It is a strong presence brew and I mean that in the way that it is not a light pale brew in comparison. Meant for those chilly snowy icy nights Up North obviously. We don't get but one or two of those a year here in Arid-zona. I used my last can of this in MattP & my Spring 2013 collab brew of Defib Doppelbock kicked up to 8% ABV and looking forward to this one in a few months.
Good input reported Incog!!! Thanks

I've got some straight up Winter Dark conditioning right now. When I tasted the sample at bottling time it was delicious. I'm excited for it to mature some.

I also have a batch of Winter Dark Ale conditioning. Haven't tried it yet, probably next weekend.

"Beer-lord" post=361879 said:

Mine definitely got better with age but still has a weak flavor. With some added malt and hops, I think it would be greatly improved though by itself, it's not too shabby.

What I did has great flavor, but I added some dark extract, and I also added a bunch of mulling spices with bitter and sweet orange peel. Tastes like a bitter dark chocolate "smack" orange candy.

"mashani" post=361985 said:

"Beer-lord" post=361879 said:

What I did has great flavor, but I added some dark extract, and I also added a bunch of mulling spices with bitter and sweet orange peel. Tastes like a bitter dark chocolate "smack" orange candy.

Dang that sounds awesome, Mashani. I may have to try it. My wife LOVES those dark chocolate oranges. I had actually never had one until I met her.

I'm down to two 1 liters and a 1/2 liter (which I would keep to compare to future derivations of this). It is very painful to consider drinking the last bit. I also have Oatmeal Stout with one 1 liter left, although I have a batch 2/3 done in the LBK.