Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevenf

Finally got to taste my first batch

My first batch was CAL. Three weeks in the LBK including 2 1/2 days cold crashing in the fridge. Bottled in the 1 liter PET bottles and primed with C&H cane sugar per instructions. Finally got to have a bottle of it on Wednesday with a fancy italion dish the wife made for dinner. I'm a newbie so I don't know all the fancy beer lingo so I'll just say it, Holy Mollie this stuff is pretty darned good compared to commercial beer. Very impressed indeed. Flavor was awesome. I thought it could have been slightly more carbonated but no complaints. I must admit that I do like a dash of salt in my beer usually so the first pour was without and the second was with a dash. I would have taken a picture of it in the glass but I was in too big a hurry to taste, then it just kept going down. Now I'm waiting on my Pilsner to finish conditioning and I think I'll give the rest of the CAL another week or two and try another bottle.

I can't wait to turn on the air conditioner and stabilize the temp in my house so I can brew some more.

Congratulations, man! The first brew is definitely an experience. We just finished drinking up my Czech Pils and are working on some Aztec Cerveza and Heavy McWee.

The dash of salt thing is intriguing. Do you do this with every beer or just yellow fizzy ones?

Keep on' brewing! :cheers:

Well to be honest I've never strayed much from the light commercial beers and I find them lacking in flavor and body usually. I like adding the salt to those type beers because for me it adds just a little extra to the flavor. Just a dash is all I like. Too much ruins it. I'm broadening my horizons a bit with the Mr. Beer and want something more than just commercial light beer. It's just kinda boring. I really like the fact that I made something myself that I wouldn't hesitate to share with a friend.

My Dad always did the dash of salt to beer to take away the bitter taste, it works.

Hey I just finished my CAL first batch too. It is really good beer isn't it?

]Monty[

I thought it was excellent. I want to make some more and up the ABV a little but I'm not sure what to add to it to get that and not sacrifice flavor. I wish Mr. Beer shipping wasn't so high. I would like to order just a few ingredients but I don't want to pay as much for shipping as I am for the product. There aren't any HBS's locally that I know of so I can't buy ingredients there. I have standard refills for 2 canadian blonde batches, 1 Oktoberfest, and one more Czech Pilsner.

Right now I'm not running my furnace or air conditioner in the house so the temps go up and down quite a bit. I'm thinking that I will hold off a month or so to brew anymore until I have the AC on. That way I wont have to worry about huge temperature swings during the fermentation. All in all my first batch has been a terrific experience and successful.

Yep I agree CAL is a great beer. And I also think the ABV needs a little kick too. I have another thread asking exactly this question. I am going to try CAL + a LME pack. I am actually trying to make a Bud Light Platinum Clone, but taste like CAL with higher alcohol. The standard answer seems to be to use LME instead of sugar, for the extra alcohol.

Yes $8 shipping is a killer for one LME. I just put together an order of extra bottle caps, and 6 lmes and carb drops and other things to get the shipping percentage down. I think I am good for quite a long while now. I even got another LBK.

]Monty[

Congrats on your first batch! You made beer! And of all the batches you'll ever make the first will always be the most satisfying. Good luck on your future brews too!

Nice job, stevenf! :chug:

I also like adding a dash of salt to light commercial beers, from time to time. The addition of DME or LME will add flavor, body, and ABV to your brews. Brewing software, such as Qbrew, can help you maintain the appropriate balance. More time in the bottle at room temperature might help with the low-carb condition, especially if you were experiencing fluctuating temperatures.

:cheers: