Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevenf

Carbonation question

So I've done a batch of CAL and a batch of Czech Pilsner. Both were in the LBK for three weeks and both batches were cold crashed for the last 2 1/2 days or so of that three week period. I bottle primed using cane sugar in the 1 liter PET bottles using the MR. Beer instructions. I used 1 1/2 levelled teaspoons carefully measured. All bottles are stored at room temperature mostly between 68 and roughly 75 degrees for the first three weeks after bottling.

I kinda thought the carbonation in the one bottle of CAL that I have tried so far was ok. I'd like a little more. This was three weeks after bottling. I think my carbonation is a little slow but I need to ask experts.

My observation was that 1 week after bottling the bottles are getting firm but I can still push the sides in just a bit with minimal force.

Two weeks after bottling most of the bottles are very firm and I have to squeeze the bottles pretty darn hard to move the side.

Three weeks I can't tell much difference from the two week observation.

I don't have any at the four week yet but they will be next monday.

Is this pretty much normal or should it be carbonating more vigorously?

Also I was planning to store my bottled product in the basement where it remains a pretty constant 60 to 65 degrees after three or four weeks carbonating and conditioning at room temp (upstairs) where it's a little warmer. Does this sound like a good plan?

The carbing action you're seeing is normal. I've found that a day or two at slightly warmer temps can make a world of difference. So ya give them a few days upstairs and try another sample.

Was it a typo "1-1/2 teaspoons", or did you decide to use less than the 2-1/2 tspns recommended by MrB?
I have had carb troubles too.

yes it was a typo. I couldn't remember if it was 1 1/2 or 2 1/2. I'm not at home right now to look at the instructions. I did it per the instructions.

"Knightmare" post=362047 said:

The carbing action you're seeing is normal. I've found that a day or two at slightly warmer temps can make a world of difference. So ya give them a few days upstairs and try another sample.

+1 to slightly warmer temps and some extra time. There is a possibility that the yeast pooped out, due to temperature fluctuations. This is one reason I never cold-crash my brews; for fear of upsetting the yeasty-boyz. But many others cold-crash with great success, so take it for what it's worth.

i try to let mine sit at atleast 70 deg to condition,but thats what works for me and at 2 weeks they usually have nice carb to them.

Two weeks carbonating at 68-74F is enough for most beers and typically around weeks 2 or 3 you should be fine putting them in a dark 60-65F location to condition before refrigerating and serving them.

Guest System Admin

Is this pretty much normal or should it be carbonating more vigorously?

Also I was planning to store my bottled product in the basement where it remains a pretty constant 60 to 65 degrees after three or four weeks carbonating and conditioning at room temp (upstairs) where it's a little warmer. Does this sound like a good plan?

Spot on. Stay the course and put a few bottles in the fridge on Wednesday. Drink them Friday/Saturday.