Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Deejay

Question about Rubbermaid 2.5 gallon slimlines

I use one of these for bottling and it works great. I read on a different forum that someone also used one of these to ferment. I was thinking about doing that as well.

My question is, how should I attach and airlock? Or can I just keep the cap a little loose?

They have a bunch of these at my local Walmart for 5 bux a pop.

On a side note, my Walmart also has 5 gallon water jugs, you know the ones that go on top of water dispensers, for 7 bux. My lhbs has drilled plugs that will fit these so attaching an airlock would be simple. Has anyone else used these? What the best way to bottle?

Thanks!

I used to use one of those for bottling, but it cracked and I switched over to a 5 gallon bottling bucket. I was in Wally world a while back and was tempted to get another one.

You could probably try one as a fermenter, but since it's clear, you would have to keep it in a dark place to keep from skunking your beer. You would also have to be careful with it, because it's not very sturdy. - don't ask how I know that...

If you do it, I would probably drill a hole in the lid for an airlock and grommet.

But frankly, after buying that thing, an airlock and grommet and taking the time to get things sorted out, you would probably be bucks ahead just to buy another LBK or a 3 gallon better bottle.

Thanks for the response. Has anyone used this as a fermenter? If so, how'd you do it and did it work well?

Most of these shouldn't be used as fermentors unless they have a #1 or #2 stamped for the plastic grade on the bottom. Anything other than that and they are too thin and permeable and are subject to breaking under pressure and oxygenation of the beer.

"Knightmare" post=362484 said:

Most of these shouldn't be used as fermentors unless they have a #1 or #2 stamped for the plastic grade on the bottom. Anything other than that and they are too thin and permeable and are subject to breaking under pressure and oxygenation of the beer.

Thanks for advice. I was just being cheap and trying to save a buck. I think I will just order another lbk and use he slimline for batch priming.

I odered another LBK (dented mine). But I see on ebay and d-i-y sites that people repurpose 3+ gallon food buckets as fermenters too. Apparently some can be had free from bakeries, even supermarket bakeries.

"Deejay" post=362506 said:

"Knightmare" post=362484 said:

Thanks for advice. I was just being cheap and trying to save a buck. I think I will just order another lbk and use he slimline for batch priming.

You won't be saving that buck if it ruins a batch or two of perfectly good beer.

Don't ask me how I know... :(

I used them for cider a couple times. If u use them for beer, make sure to keep them out of the light. I won't use them again, they crack way too easy. I just tossed out a 3rd on for cracks/leaking. LBKs, or better bottles work better/cheaper in the long run. I suggest those using them to batch prime/bottle with, fill with water first and look for leaks.

Like Nightmare said, unless it is a class 1 or class 2, it won't be the best for fermenting. I tried the cheap route using plastic buckets from the local grocer/bakery and found the plastic absorbs off flavors into the plastic that can affect later brews. I finally switched back to LBK's and a 3 gal. glass carboy for fermenting.

This has also been discussed in another topic here along with a link to plastic grades in my reply to the topic.

http://community.mrbeer.com/forum/8-new-brewers-and-faqs/309211-blue-water-jug-as-fermentation-vessel

I still use bakery buckets for bottling as nothing is in them for an extended time.

i keep the lid lose,, and i have had no problems ,,,, an air lock wont hurt to add,,,,
[attachment=12785]krasen3_2013-04-13.jpg[/attachment]

Due to my unstoppable obsession, I'm using a slimline right now for fermenting. I have 6 LBK's going plus a slimline. I followed Mr. Beers lead on the way there rim is configured for the venting of gases. On the slimline cap, there is a foam type insert. Remove the insert first! On the slimline where the cap screws on make two grooves for the gases to escape. I used a small screw driver about the same size as the grooves in the LBK, Heated it up with a butane torch and melted two grooves in the edge. The gases can escape just like the LBK design.
Yes they are way lighter in thickness and they do look like they will not last like the LBK's.
But when your trying to build a pipeline that will last through the summer, you gotta do what you gotta do!

Guest System Admin

i used them. take the lid and using a spade bit make a hole in it. then affix a rubber grommet. stick an airlock in the grommetted hole. tada.

alternately leave the lid in tact. unscrew the spigot and remove. stand the slimline up with supports to keep it from falling over. shove a rubber stopper in the hole where the spigot was. insert an airlock. tada 2.