Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
canam

Oatmeal Stout suggestions

I am a beginner brewer and have done 2 beers so far, the American Lite and I just bottled the October fest with a smooth Softpack. I am about to start an Irish Stout with a Robust Softpack and wanted to use oatmeal. Any suggestions on what to use?

I made a great oatmeal stout awhile back w/ zested orange & Sumatra coffee that turned out very nice. I "
toasted "Old Fashion" oats in the oven then steeped them.

I recently attempted the same toasted the oats with brown sugar & cinnamon on top then steeped them. We'll know soon how it turns out! Good luck!!!
[attachment=12794]image_2013-04-13-3.jpg[/attachment]

I simply use Quaker "Old Fashion" Oats. Please don't make the mistake in using 1 minute... it will turn to mush on you. The Old Fashion Oats will hold up better while steeping... I would steep them about 15 minutes or so producing a slight milky texture. I toast them 1st because I like the toasted biscuit-like flavor you find in a Fat Tire.

I'm gonna say about 4 cups Andy... enough to fill a big cookie sheet. You really have to watch them in the oven... and stir them around on the cookie sheet from time to time.

"eurotexan" post=362870 said:

I'm gonna say about 4 cups Andy... enough to fill a big cookie sheet. You really have to watch them in the oven... and stir them around on the cookie sheet from time to time.

awesome, will take that into consideration on one of my many porters and stouts to come :gulp: and also how do you use a certain coffee and how much for a coffee flavored porter?

I usually go with 8 shots from my espresso machine for a 2 gallon batch... I prefer a sumatra or just straight espresso. If no espresso machine on hand, I've heard people even going to Starbucks and just paying for 8 or so shots and making the mad dash home to add it to their wort. I have found zested oranges goes along well with the coffee flavor. I think coconut might also be good... that is my next venture... any experience there?

"eurotexan" post=362886 said:

I usually go with 8 shots from my espresso machine for a 2 gallon batch... I prefer a sumatra or just straight espresso. If no espresso machine on hand, I've heard people even going to Starbucks and just paying for 8 or so shots and making the mad dash home to add it to their wort. I have found zested oranges goes along well with the coffee flavor. I think coconut might also be good... that is my next venture... any experience there?

Sorry cant help you on that one....still new to the HB scene but so far I feel like I have learned alot on The Borg. Thanks for the advice, me and my SWMBO love coffee porters and that sounds like something I can cook up for us in the future. I have seen flavor extracts but I prefer using real cofee/espresso. ;) and sumatra is a pretty good one.

I was told by live chat to put the shots of espresso into the bottles not in the wort. Is it better to put into the keg for fermenting?

"canam" post=362622 said:

I am a beginner brewer and have done 2 beers so far, the American Lite and I just bottled the October fest with a smooth Softpack. I am about to start an Irish Stout with a Robust Softpack and wanted to use oatmeal. Any suggestions on what to use?

I use flaked oats just sprinkle them on top of the grains in my mash tun, since flaked grains have already had their starches gelatinized there's no worrying about them turning to mush.

"canam" post=363335 said:

I was told by live chat to put the shots of espresso into the bottles not in the wort. Is it better to put into the keg for fermenting?

I'd follow their advice on this once I actually got great results doing the same thing. I brewed a cup of espresso for each 1 liter bottle of St. Pat's Irish Stout and poured the cooled espresso into each bottle along with the priming sugar. It's been several years now but I still remember trying to decide whether to have one for breakfast or dinner, or both.

I'm gonna try putting the espresso directly in each bottle next time & compare... I've had great results the other way but we'll give it a shot! How much in each bottle?

I brewed up a double strength pot of coffee, tossed it in the fridge and added a shot to every bottle on my last batch of stout. I also used raw cane sugar to prime. Four weeks and I'll see how she tastes.

I have yet to brew a stout but I was under the impression that you can't actually steep Oatmeal but rather you have to due at least a partial mash to get the wanted results. Am I wrong in that impression?

I must've been completely off then when thinking I read you can't simply steep Oatmeal. I'm thinking I read a thread on the NB site where they were discussing that Oatmeal must be partially mashed compared to steep in order to get the desired results.