Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Trumpetus

Chili Lime Mod

I am going to brew the Chili Lime recipe but want to make some adjustments. Have read where others thought the heat from the added peppers was too much. I love spicy food, but am wanting this to be more lime and only a hint of heat (saw a reviewer only used a small Serrano and thought that was good).

What I'm thinking - and this is my first chemistry experiment with my brewing - is to add a packet of Pale LME along with Centennial hops. The recipe kit comes with a booster pack. Going for a Corona-like brew that has more body and a slight lime hint.

Thoughts? :blink:

Although I like the unconventional idea...I have a hard time wrapping my head around chili and lime. I know it's been done...and been done well. I just have a hard time picturing it.

Are you familiar with Sorachi Ace hops? Just curious. Probably more lemon than lime...but interesting if you've not seen it before.

I hear ya - I'm thinking of either nixing the pepper or roasting a Serrano to cut the heat and increase smokey flavor. Think the peppers go better in my salsa!

Have not heard of the Sorachi Ace. I did find in another post that the Centennial hops were recommended for adding to the Mexican Cerveza.

I have never done this, but some have actually put a pepper in the bottle at bottling time of coarse with no seeds (unless you prefer fire in the hole).... I am more of the let me chop some steak, throw it on the skillet and let them get it on with some peppers!

SWMBO ordered this for her self NOT reading the whole recipe. Fermented with only half the recommended pepper amount. Sampled the Wort, not to bad! Definitely NOT my normal Beer, But hey I'll try anything once. Maybe twice if I can stand the pain.
Bottled it on 3-29-13, gonna let it sit at least 4 weeks before sampling this one. I usually sample on the third week of carbonating, NOT in a hurry for this one.
Should be a good one to hand out around the camp fire this summer, :ohmy:
[attachment=12823]Brew12.jpg[/attachment]

I have made two versions of this. the first with one pepper has conditioned out nicely with a slight hint of heat. The second with 5 peppers is flaming. I might have overdone it a bit but it will still be good to marinate meat with.

I used 4 seranos in mine, seeded and de-spined. I got no heat what so ever! Just a slight veggie taste that I actually liked.

I modded my Mexican Cervesa with a can of frozen Minute Maid Limeade mix and 24 drops of El Yucateco Habenaro hot sauce added to the boil. It is very good. I think if I make it again, which is likely, I will add the limeade after a week of fermenting, for a bit more lime flavor. Although the subtle lime flavor is good, and the hot sauce adds just a hint of heat, a little more lime I think would make it perfect.

On this topic, has anyone tried using powdered lemonade mix as priming sugar? It's mostly sugar and fructose, but I wonder if it would make too strong a lemonade flavor being added this way. Maybe 1/2 sugar, 1/2 lemonade mix? Thoughts?

I made the Fresco Chile Lime according to the recipe recently (more or less...I used dextrose and malto-dextrine in place of Booster, but that's essentially what Booster is) and actually didn't find it spicy at all. There was definitely a noticeable jalapeno flavour, but no heat.

I couldn't detect any lime flavour in mine, though, so you might want to either half the number of peppers or double the amount of lime zest in order to get a stronger lime flavour. The addition of centennial hops will probably help, too, since they've got a strong citrus aroma.

I bottled mine about 3 weeks ago, and have about 2 more weeks until it should be ready. My sample before bottling was pretty spicy. I am really excited to try it.

"CC Shmucko" post=382085 said:

I bottled mine about 3 weeks ago, and have about 2 more weeks until it should be ready. My sample before bottling was pretty spicy. I am really excited to try it.

My hands were on fire for at least an hour after I finished brewing mine (protip: were gloves when working with peppers, even relatively mild ones like jalapenos!), but the final product wasn't spicy at all. I wish it had been, but I still enjoyed the unique taste. I've got 6 bottles left, but they likely won't last for long.