Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cessna172pilot

Sediment in the beer

About a month ago, I started brewing a batch of Blue Patriot (blueberry). Today, I put the first bottle in the refrigerator and noticed sediment floating on the top. I assume this is blueberry pieces. Do I need to remove this prior to drinking, or can I just drink it? Any help would be appreciated!

If you leave the bottle in the fridge for a few days the floating blueberry particles should settle on the bottom of the bottle and become a little more compact. Then when you poor it should be relatively easy to avoid getting too much in your glass. No, they will not hurt you to drink. However, they will taste very sour and unpleasant if the chunks are big enough.

Fruit beer = Cold crash for 3 days prior to bottling to drop fruit remnants and other particles out of suspension, as well as to compact the trub..Just my 2 cents worth.

:Borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center Cessna172pilot. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: we have beer.

...I only got up to a Cessna 150...

"dogsnharleys" post=363313 said:

Fruit beer = Cold crash for 3 days prior to bottling to drop fruit remnants and other particles out of suspension, as well as to compact the trub..Just my 2 cents worth.

I cold crashed my Blue Patriot but still got some lovely floating chunks in the last two bottles. I'm hoping that when I go to drink it a few days in the fridge will drop the particles out of suspension for a clean pour.

if the chunks are floating, will cold crashing make them enough denser to sink? If I were to guess I would say not, but I've never even tasted a fruit beer, much less made one.

I recently brewed a cherry wheat and taste tested one a week ago. I was impatient and only had it in the fridge for a couple of hours so I still had cherry particles in the pour. The bits definitely won't hurt you (I'm still kicking at least) not sure how it might affect the flavor though. This beer was still young so it would be hard to tell if the bits of cherry I was drinking was really affecting the flavor yet.

I would definitely say to cold crash it in the fridge for a couple days to try to let things settle as best they can and when you pour do so as smoothly as possible to not disturb the trub and fruit particles on the bottom.

I've made several batches with cherries, and one with two cans of blueberries. I cold crashed one of them. I have not had ANY with pieces of fruit floating around, but I pureed the Oregon fruit in a blender as the instructions told me to.