Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
maverick

Ok to ferment in dark closet?

Just racked a Barleywine that needs to age, however my wife is tired of looking at my carboy in our office. I was planing on aging in a dark closet...will this be ok? Or will the dark closet cause my fermenting/aging beer to mold?

Darkness is better. It will prevent the light from skunking the beer.

I put my LBK's in a large ice chest with the lid closed and my 5 gallon fermentation buckets in a large, 'Cooler' bag. Both are as dark as night and I've never had any problems. Direct sunlight can skunk a beer and that's why the LBK is brown to diffuse some light. House lights aren't a problem.

The darker, the better.

I ferment all my beers in my basement, and it's pretty dark down there. Even so, since my five-gallon carboys are clear plastic, I put a black garbage bag over it to keep it even darker.

Unfortunately I had to mover out of my closet, It was getting to hot with the heat wave we had Last week.
Move into a cool dark corner of the basement.

[attachment=12839]brewcloset.jpg[/attachment]

Professional breweries ferment in stainless steel tanks. Beer has no problem with absolute darkness. If you ferment where the beer is exposed to light you will have some level of skunking.The brown color of the LBK will help, which is why it is brown no doubt. As Fedora Dave said, the darker the better.

Closets work great if the temp is right.

Just don't go to a homebrew club and say you and a brewing partner brew in a closet. You may not live it down.

"rev_evans" post=363207 said:

Just don't go to a homebrew club and say you and a brewing partner brew in a closet. You may not live it down.

:laugh:

My beer must be very confused. It ferments and conditions in the basement, then I bring it upstairs and put it in a closet in the Man-CaveTM, and then it comes out of the closet into the fridge for cold-conditioning.

I don't buy beer; I "bi-beer"! :laugh:

"FedoraDave" post=363217 said:

"rev_evans" post=363207 said:

:laugh:

My beer must be very confused. It ferments and conditions in the basement, then I bring it upstairs and put it in a closet in the Man-CaveTM, and then it comes out of the closet into the fridge for cold-conditioning.

I don't buy beer; I "bi-beer"! :laugh:

:lol::lol:

"windowpane" post=363387 said:

you guys need to start a support group! :cheers:

We didn't start the support group, But it looks like we all belong to this one.
Seems most of us here have the same style of humor.
I'm glad I joined the Mr. Beer support group.
It helps support my habits pretty good!
:chug:

I just know if my buddy pops over to check out the beer kit he gave me, we won't be tasting it in the closet... :lol:

Fermenting in the dark is what the beer wants. You may want to drink it elsewhere however...

My first post here... I just completed my first brewing session, and placed the LBK is the closet. I was wondering, would it also be advisable to place a towel over it to ensure no light at all?

This first Brew is the Aztec. Also have either Grand Bohemian, Patriot or American light ready to brew in the next day or so in my other LBK. I thought I'd get the least favorite out of the way first.

Thanks

Paul

There shouldn't be any need for total darkness, although being dark is not a problem.  The main issue is ultraviolet light, which can react with the hops and create a skunky flavor.  The brown plastic and brown glass keep out the UV light.  (Don't put the keg in sunlight, though.  I keep mine under a desk.)  The towel could actually be a problem by retaining heat in the keg while the beer ferments, which produces heat, and getting above the yeast's temperature range. 

Yes, come out of the closet!  :)  I mean you, not the LBKs.  

Seriously, my LBKs sit in a basement with natural light coming through window blinds.  There's no issue there.  Don't cover them up.