Jump to content
Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dbark

SMaSH ideas, have the hops, need the malt

Recommended Posts

Going to brew with a friend (solo flight for him) in a couple of weeks. I have about 3.5 ozs of perle hops I'd like to use and introduce him to a SMaSH. I'm in need of a decent malt and yeast that would compliment the hops. As far as batch amount, as a minimum I like 3 gallons up to 5. Thanks ahead of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U.S. Perle is described as providing smooth bitterness with a spicy/floral aroma. German Perle is described as a moderate bittering hop with underappreciated floral aroma.

Perhaps Vienna or Munich would be a good malt choice. You could make a nice amber-ish ale out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did see a Vienna Smash with S-04 on hopville. I might go with that. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off topic but please help,Does the QBrew take the Mr Beer HME hops into account? I do not want to add too much bitter, but QBrew says to boil for 60 just to hit recipe min. bitterness. Based on some things said earlier, sounds like it isn't accounting for HME hops, or is it? Brewing tonight, any help is appreciated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

After setting up your recipe under qbrew, go to the hops tab. The current data file from screwy has all the MrB HMEs listed there also. Select the corresponding HME u used in malts and make the boil time 5 minutes That gives the correct data to the batch. Then u can play with the times/amounts of hops to get the bitterness/flavor etc you are looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd use Munich or Vienna too.

Don't fear 100% Munich beer. It's awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my 2.5 Gallon "almost SMaSH" I did a few weeks back - it turned out really well and the malt profile allowed for the hop to really shine through.

4.5lbs 2-Row
4oz CaraPils
4oz Crystal 60L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"mashani" post=363194 said:

I'd use Munich or Vienna too.

Don't fear 100% Munich beer. It's awesome.

What is a good yeast recommendation for munich or vienna?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"calledthestig" post=363228 said:

This is my 2.5 Gallon "almost SMaSH" I did a few weeks back - it turned out really well and the malt profile allowed for the hop to really shine through.

4.5lbs 2-Row
4oz CaraPils
4oz Crystal 60L

That is not a SMaSH. A SMaSH is Single Malt and Single Hop. That means one grain and one grain only. The last SMaSH I made was 9lbs of Munich 10L and 1oz of Sterling hops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"dbark" post=363383 said:

"mashani" post=363194 said:

I'd use Munich or Vienna too.

Don't fear 100% Munich beer. It's awesome.

What is a good yeast recommendation for munich or vienna?

If you really want the nice malty flavor go with Windsor Ale or BRY-97 would be a good choice for a nice clean ale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Gymrat" post=363442 said:

"calledthestig" post=363228 said:

This is my 2.5 Gallon "almost SMaSH" I did a few weeks back - it turned out really well and the malt profile allowed for the hop to really shine through.

4.5lbs 2-Row
4oz CaraPils
4oz Crystal 60L

That is not a SMaSH. A SMaSH is Single Malt and Single Hop. That means one grain and one grain only. The last SMaSH I made was 9lbs of Munich 10L and 1oz of Sterling hops.

Yeah hence the "almost SMaSH" description. Just a suggestion and wanted to put it in here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...