Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Deejay

5 Gallon Question

My 2nd LBK is on the way and I am looking to grab a couple 5 gallon recipes. I have looked around a little bit and it seems like most people brew a 5 gallon batch and just split it into the 2 LBKs. My problem is that I don't have a big enough pot.

So my question is, can I just split the ingredients in half and brew 2 batches?

Thanks!

You can split the ingredients in half and do it that way.

Do you have a big enough pot to do 3 gallons? You could do 3 gallons in the pot, put 1 gallon of refrigerated water into each LBK and then add your wort (you should still chill the wort down to about 100-110 degrees first though).

Rick

"rickbray66" post=363328 said:

You can split the ingredients in half and do it that way.

Do you have a big enough pot to do 3 gallons? You could do 3 gallons in the pot, put 1 gallon of refrigerated water into each LBK and then add your wort (you should still chill the wort down to about 100-110 degrees first though).

Rick

I have a 3 gallon pot. So I will probably just split it into 2 batches. Thanks for the advice!

Yes as Rick said you can split and do 2 brews but it's a little harder to do but it will work for you. I do it alot (5 gal batch in 2 LBK's) and the easiest way I found is to brew it as a 5 gal. batch, put it in a 5 gal pale, mix and divide the wort evenly into the 2 LBK's and then pitch the yeast in each.

I'm sorry....I'm thinking I may not have been too clear. I was leaning more towards what berryman had in mind.....use the pot for the 3 gallons of wort using all of the ingredients. Then split that between the 2 LBKs that each have 1 gallon of water. This is what many 5 gallon extract recipes call for - boil 3 gallons, tops off fermenter with 2 gallons. You would be doing the same thing, just splitting the 2 gallons of top-off water between 2 LBKs.

Now, in my opinion, this is easier when doing recipes using HME and no hop boil is needed. If you are doing a recipe (or kit) that calls for a hop boil, you will want to look and see if the instructions call for a partial boil or a full boil. A partial boil can have a higher boil gravity which can affect hop utilization.

Rick

Thanks for responses. I do not have a big enough pot to boil 3 gallons so I guess I will just stick to the smaller batches until I can get one. I will probably just look at the ingredient list of the 5 gallon recipes I am interested in and scale them down.

"rickbray66" post=363336 said:

I'm sorry....I'm thinking I may not have been too clear. I was leaning more towards what berryman had in mind.....use the pot for the 3 gallons of wort using all of the ingredients. Then split that between the 2 LBKs that each have 1 gallon of water. This is what many 5 gallon extract recipes call for - boil 3 gallons, tops off fermenter with 2 gallons. You would be doing the same thing, just splitting the 2 gallons of top-off water between 2 LBKs.

Now, in my opinion, this is easier when doing recipes using HME and no hop boil is needed. If you are doing a recipe (or kit) that calls for a hop boil, you will want to look and see if the instructions call for a partial boil or a full boil. A partial boil can have a higher boil gravity which can affect hop utilization.

Rick

Does pouring the 3 gallons of wort on top of the chilled water affect your OG reading?

as you are pouring wort into more water (which has a rating of 1.000), it will lower what ever reading you have.

example: Wort OG: (3 gal) 1.050 + (2 gal)1.000= 1.035 YMMV

just remember, you are deluting your wort.

We have done several 5 gal. recipes split for 2 LBKs including mini mashes in an 8 quart pot.

We split the ingredients by weight, mash in a preheated oven and had another pot of hot water for topping off and sparging.
I have done both halves at the same time with two 8 quart pots but usually do them a few days apart so I don't have to cold crash both at the same time.
We usually do extracts as a late addition (1/3 for the boil w/the rest at about 5/10 min. from flameout).
It was not difficult but managing the wort temps for pitching, i.e. Cold water in LBK and chilling wort to proper temps is our biggest hassle.

I would ask your LHBS to split the grains into two packages so you get a better distribution.

We do not split yeast, we pitch a whole vial or pack per LBK. :cheers:

if it's dry yeast i'll split it. not hard if you got a gram scale. you get 11.5g in a 5 gal packet and mrb only gives you 5g in their packs. i'm just cheap a whole pack won't hurt the beer.

My biggest question is how to make sure you divide the kit equally. DME, probably not an issue to split that evenly, but LME would be nearly impossible. You might end up with one LBK having a slightly different taste than the other. Not saying that it can't be done, as obviously many here on the Borg do it frequently, but something to consider.

If you buy LME in bulk, my LHBS will fill containers with any amount you want. Last time I got 3 containers with 1lb each and 1 with 1/2 lb.

When I did a 5 gallon Munton's recipe, I used a large measuring cup and ladle to split the pot's contents between two LBKs that each had 1 gallon of cold water in them. I tried to do it as evenly as possible, wasn't very hard.