Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
windowpane

Hello Beer People

Got a kit from a bud with Octoberfest Vienna Lager. First timer. Talked with a gal at Mr Beer and she recommended 2 weeks, 2 weeks and then 2 weeks. Bummer having to wait so long but told I need to. :) Ordered 8 more bottles and an American Patriot Lager refill. Looking forward to learning the steps to making my own beer. :)

Hello and welcome windowpane (interesting name)
2-2-2 will work on a basic MB brew, but usually recommended here to go 3 weeks in the fermenter. Read, ask questions, and have patience and you can make some good beer.
:chug: Good Luck and Happy Brewing :chug:

Thx, From some reading I see it's maybe a good idea to just chill a couple bottles after conditioning, then chill a couple more when those are gone.
P.S. I used to sell windows... Brother in Law said one day..... that must be a real pain... lol That's my story and I'm stickin to it ;)

Just to clarify - the 2-2-2 or 3-2-2 is all at room temp. Somehow Mr. Beer sometimes conveys the last 2 in the frig, but the forum members don't agree.

"RickBeer" post=363354 said:

Just to clarify - the 2-2-2 or 3-2-2 is all at room temp. Somehow Mr. Beer sometimes conveys the last 2 in the frig, but the forum members don't agree.

+1 Yes at room temp then fridge and enjoy.

just what I was planning. the room stays from 66 to 72 and mostly at 70. Did a little reading online and I was wondering why the directions said ready in 2 weeks. That got me to chat online with the Mr Beer rep. Glad I checked or probably would have been a waste and I would have chucked it. :sick:

Welcome aboard The Obsession windowpane! If you're like the rest of us here you'll soon be awash in a sea of beer and setting sail on many great brewing adventures. There's lot's of information here and plenty of hands to help you get under way. You'll soon be producing some memorable beers and having a lot of fun too in the days ahead.

Navigate on over to our Advanced Brewing Techniques area of the forum and read over the

option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=18&id=202417" target="_blank" title="http://community.mrbeer.com/index.php?

option=com_kunena&Itemid=124&func=view&catid=18&id=202417">'4 Things Every Brewer Should Know About Yeast'

sticky. Yeast is a living cell, keep them healthy and they'll ferment you up some awesome tasting beers.

Set your course and sail on over to our New Brewers and FAQs area of the forum and read over the 'Malt To Adjunct Ratios' sticky.

Remember for the best tasting beer you'll want no less than 80% of the alcohol to come from malts and no more than 20% of the alcohol to come from sugars or other adjuncts.

Give your beer at least 2-3 weeks to ferment and another 3-4 weeks to carbonate and condition before refrigerating. I know it's going to be hard to resist popping them open sooner, but like with anything homebrewing it'll be worth the wait.

When using any priming calculator enter the warmest temperature that your fermenting beer has endured between the time you pitched your yeast until bottling day. This has to do with the beer's residual level of Co2, or the ability for beer to absorb Co2 into solution during fermentation. For a typical Ale fermenting around 70F the residual Co2 will be around .83 volumes, which is then subtracted from whatever Co2 level you entered as your target.

Example 1: Beer was fermented at 70F and bottled at 70F - Enter 70F for the temperature
Example 2: Beer was fermented at 70F and bottled at 60F - Enter 70F for the temperature
Example 3: Beer was fermented at 70F and bottled at 80F - Enter 80F for the temperature

Higher levels of Co2 will stay in solution when the beer is colder, as the beer warms up more Co2 will be released from solution. Hope that helps.

This is my glass of beer. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without me my beer is useless. Without my beer, I am useless. ~ Screwy Brewer

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center windowpane. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: we have Beer.

Keep reading and asking questions. This is a great place to give and take.

It has been discussed often the differences between what MR B says and what the borg members do. It seems the ready in two weeks claim is likely a marketing tactic to get people excited. Time and patience will help you brew the best beer possible. Don't rush it, take it from someone who knows ;)

time is your friend. don't be afraid to use alot of it.

[attachment=12845]welcomebeer_2013-04-17.gif[/attachment]

Being a bowhunter has taught me patience. I will fall back on my strength to be able to sit in a stand hour after hour, day after day to make it though this first brew. Temptation to draw back and release has hit me many times over he last couple days but with the support of the Borg my mind now sees it as "Unaceptable". Negotiation was irrelevant. I have been be assimilated.... I must comply.... and wait............. :sweat:

It does not hurt to taste samples as you go just to see how the beer taste in the proccess. A hydrometer is very helpful and you can "sample" some wort as you go. I will typically bottle a couple bottles that I put a side to sample in the caerb/condition period. Its a good way to see the beer progress. I have a couple recipes now that I know the results and wont perv them.

I bowhunt too but as the saying goes "patience my butt I want to drink something" :think:

"windowpane" post=363477 said:

Being a bowhunter has taught me patience. I will fall back on my strength to be able to sit in a stand hour after hour, day after day to make it though this first brew. Temptation to draw back and release has hit me many times over he last couple days but with the support of the Borg my mind now sees it as "Unaceptable". Negotiation was irrelevant. I have been be assimilated.... I must comply.... and wait............. :sweat:

Use the :borg: to help distract yourself, I believe many here, myself atleast, do that very thing. Much reading can be done

Being a bowhunter has taught me patience.

Isn't that the truth! I used to bow hunt, I swear my butt grew to become one with the tree stand. I can't shoot bows now... freaking carpel tunnel and artiritis. Tried with a crossbow for a while but ppl just seem to freak out when they see guys hunting with them, so I gave it up.

"JohnDubya" post=363694 said:

Being a bowhunter has taught me patience.

Isn't that the truth! I used to bow hunt, I swear my butt grew to become one with the tree stand. I can't shoot bows now... freaking carpel tunnel and artiritis. Tried with a crossbow for a while but ppl just seem to freak out when they see guys hunting with them, so I gave it up.

That's a Shame you gave it up!
Never fall to the small minded thoughts of people !
You should do what you want and like.
[attachment=12856]Darylsdeer001.JPG[/attachment]

"JohnDubya" post=363694 said:

At least you have home brewing!

Cheers! :chug:

Nice looking buck!

I do miss it, but I still rifle hunt. The last straw was when arrested by a game warden for using a crossbow. It's not legal in this state unless your disabled and have a permit. I'm disabled and had, still have a permit to use one. This guy as a game warden did not know about the permit and had to be a serious arse about it, his boss had to hammer it in his head that I was not the one in the wrong. After that, I just said eff it. Not worth the hassle. I may hunt one more year but that will probably be it for a while, the deer numbers the last couple years are really gettin low around here. Except in my freaking garden.... darn field rats.... LOL

HEY ! This is America! Get your arse out there and hunt the mighty whitetail with that crossbow :). Chalk it up to craps gonna happen with the GW... you were in the right. And if anybody gives ya crap about the crossbow, ask why they shoot a compound and not a stick and string... :) Shot my first with a bow in 1968 and chasing them ever since then. 2nd back surgery in 2010 kept me from going. Disabled now but with the help of friends I can get out to enjoy it. Just gotta be very careful. sold my 70 pound bows in 2005 and went to 60 pounders. 43 for target shooting and 55 at whitetails and turkeys. Shoulder problems. There's something special about bowhunting be it with long bow, recurve, compound or crossbow. Never give it up till the body just won't cooperate. I rifle hunted for many years also and really enjoyed it. Shoot Straight! :chug:

P.S. went and looked and I see you are from Larimore. My dad grew up there!! Lisbon is my hometown. Always enjoyed going to see grandma and grandpa and uncles and aunts in Larimore in my youth!

"windowpane" post=363794 said:

P.S. went and looked and I see you are from Larimore. My dad grew up there!! Lisbon is my hometown. Always enjoyed going to see grandma and grandpa and uncles and aunts in Larimore in my youth!

Still have family there?

Welcome to our little corner of the world

Well the bottles have not exploded so that's good! Pressure is there :) 4 weeks or so to go before that first taste...... AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Patience grasshopper, patience. Now is the time to collect bottles with free beer in them for future bottling endevours.

"windowpane" post=365973 said:

where to go... where to go.... I remember nice big Miller Lite plastic bottles on the golf course...

Grocery store and buy some pry off bottles with free beer in them!
You'll need them in the future!

Welcome and enjoy the obsession! :cheers:

Hey there,
I agree on the 2-2-2 method I have used it for ALL recipes. Had no problems. In fact some I liked better when I drank them earlier. :stout:

When I first started the only thing that confused me about the 2-2-2 was it should really read 2-4. 2 weeks fermenting, 4 weeks sitting in a dark place carbonating and conditioning.

Am I the only one who, every time he sees the title of this thread wants to answer, "Hello Wine People"?