Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Bingman111

Recycling Beer Bottles

How do the people of the :borg: feel about using the capping tool to recap twist off bottles with new caps from Mr.B or some other source? It seems to me that you can still get an air tight seal, if not how would the commercial breweries get away with it??

Guest System Admin

from my understanding of this, do not use twist off bottles for home brew. apparently the glass at the top is thinner due to the twisty bit and you might end up with bottle bombs.

not certain if that is the full explanation but ppl here have warned about this before.

Twist offs are not a good choice. As Zorak1066 mentioned the bottle is thinner at the top to accomodate the threads for the cap. When you try to press a cap onto the thinner necked twist off bottles you will probably break the bottle in the process or you will not get a firm seal.

As others have noted, the glass in the neck is thinner, so subject to breaking. Also, our capping tools are designed for the non-twist bottles, so the twist-offs are more likely to not get a good seal. I did use a few twist-offs when I first started brewing, before I saw these explanations. I didn't have any mishaps, but looking at the bottles confirmed these warnings. So, even if you get away with using twist-offs a couple of times, it's not worth the risk.

The commercial companies' machines are set up to use the twist-offs, but we are not.

Thanks foothiller (and everyone else) I was curious why commercial brewers could use them but not us. I have capped twist offs using the bottle capper tool, b/c my mom has asked that I help her to build a bottle collection for the rafters of the outdoor gazebo. I've just never capped them with liquid inside, but the seal seemed decent. However, we're just trying to keep bees and wasps from making nests inside (plenty sufficient).

Looking at capped twist-off bottles you can see the crimp follows the threads. My capper crimps straight around the cap. The good part is that it's forced me to buy beer from smaller breweries to get the good bottles. I hate the price of new empty glass bottles.

I accidentally capped two twist off bottles a couple of months back.
Opened the bottles yesterday. One was flat, and the other was fine. In fact, it twisted straight off.
I do not recommend using the twist offs, no matter what.
You pay good money for your ingredients, make sure you get the most product from them!