Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

White IPA/El Diablo Blanco IPA

Guest System Admin

Not seeing much talk or interest in the El Diablo Blanco version of the White IPA. Just brewed mine yesterday, seems to have went well but have some rotten egg scent coming from LBK. True that T-58 can produce this scent sometimes? Anyony? Thoughts?

There is a decent sized thread on the seasonal, but not a whole lot about the Eld Diablo, Mine will be here Monday and I am pretty excited about it.

Yes, T-58 is known for producing a sulfur smell at times. No worries, it will go away.

There was some excitement about this recipe when they first announced it because it was the first to incorporate a hop boil, so please keep us informed on how yours turns out!

Guest System Admin

Yes, T-58 is a stinky motherfrigger.

RDWHAHB !

My first hop boil and I have to say I enjoyed it. Only issue was instructions where unclear if I should continue to stir after adding hop sack for the 15min boil time. I did stir entire time and I have no doubt there is a lot of hop saturation. Gravity came on at 1.073, but temp was around 64. First time with Hydrometer as well.

I brewed mine today. It smelled pretty good. I had an OG of .72 temp was 62. I have done a few 60min hop boils so no real drama. I do like that addition of the hop boil, you feel a bit more involved than just boiling water and dumping a can into it.

I did two FG's on this 3 days apart and it came in at .23 . I am not really happy with that but that seems to be what this is averaging.

I like the taste of this, I think it's a bit low on the hop bitterness but I have had White IPA's with less bitterness so I think it's about average. All in all I think it will CC out pretty nicely. I am not sure I would do it again as is.

I'd leave it in your keg another week, maybe move it somewhere warmer. I've seen T-58 wake up.

I started mine about a week and a half ago and it has been steadily fermenting in my new ferm chamber at 64 degrees. Everything went fine with the brewing process, smelled up the house real good too with those hops. My OG was pretty much what everyone else has been seeing, 1.060 range. Planning on leaving it in the LBL until the 19th or so and then bottling.

Yep, opened my cooler, stuck my head down there to look at the temp and the sulfur smell almost knocked me over.

That was 3 days ago. The smell, and the activity have subsided quite a bit since then.

I used 1/2 pound of extra light DME I had laying around and my OG came in closer to 1.080, so I added a little extra water to the LBK to bring it down to 1.069.

I also did a 30 minute boil with 1/2oz of Falconers Flight, and have another 1/2oz to dry hop with.

Fingers crossed.

Just got this recipe yesterday. This is my first hop boil as well and I was thinking of adding a 60 or 30 min boil. With the longer boils, do you still pour the hop sacks into the LBK? Also, when typically in the fermentation process do you dry hop?

"RageKage" post=370726 said:

Just got this recipe yesterday. This is my first hop boil as well and I was thinking of adding a 60 or 30 min boil. With the longer boils, do you still pour the hop sacks into the LBK? Also, when typically in the fermentation process do you dry hop?

With the longer boil, everything you want has been removed from the hops. Leaving in, will cause possible off flavors. Dry hop is usually done after active fermentation 5-7 days before you bottle.

"azmark" post=370731 said:

With the longer boil, everything you want has been removed from the hops. Leaving in, will cause possible off flavors. Dry hop is usually done after active fermentation 5-7 days before you bottle.

So only leave in the ones with a 15 min or shorter boil time?

Yes sir that is correct. I just finished bottling mine. It smelled great so I had to have a sip it tasted real good hope it turns out as good as I think it will. I shall find out in 1 month

Great. Think I'm gonna go with:

1 oz of Falconer's @ 60
1/2 oz Cascade @15
1/2 oz Cascade @ 0
Dry hop with 1/2 oz of Falconer's.

Am I going overboard?

"RageKage" post=370838 said:

1 oz of Falconer's @ 60
1/2 oz Cascade @15
1/2 oz Cascade @ 0

Am I going overboard?

I think that might be a little much actually. With what I have in Qbrew (not saying its right but, I set up the White IPA to what the IBUS, SRM and ABV are) add the DME and your Hop selections and times....I get about 160IBUs 7.5%abv 6SRM

Here is what I am thinking.... Mine comes out to about 99IBUs...Might fudge with it a little or take the citra boils out....Does FF7Cs have Citra in it?
0.75 lb Briess DME - Pilsen Light Extract Extract
0.25 lb CaraPils - [body, Head
0.25 oz Citra 25 minutes
0.25 oz Citra 0 minutes
0.25 oz Citra - 17 minutes
0.50 oz Falconers Flight 7 Cs 0 minutes
0.25 oz Falconers Flight 7 Cs 12 minutes
0.25 oz Mosaic - 25 minutes
0.25 oz Mosaic - 7 minutes

Thanks for the heads up ChizzleD. I've never used Qbrew before, but I downloaded it and have been messing with it all morning. Not sure if I'm doing it exactly right, but I got similar results: 145 IBUs , 7.3, ABV and 7SRM when I entered my recipe. When I knock down the Falconers to 1/2 oz @ 30 min I get 85 IBUs.

I'm interested in the data you used to enter the White IPA HME. Also, the talk on the other forum is that the White IPA isn't close to the 60 IBUs as advertised. Does that play into your calculation at all?

RageKage, this is what I have in QBrew for the White IPA...

Recipe Characteristics Recipe Gravity 1.067 OG Estimated FG 1.017 FG :dry:
Recipe Bitterness 60 IBU Alcohol by Volume 6.5%
Recipe Color 5° SRM Alcohol by Weight 5.1%

Ingredients Quantity Grain Type Use
3.75 lb Mr. Beer/Coopers Seasonal White IPA Extract Extract
Quantity Hop Type Time
1.00 oz Mr. Beer/Coopers White IPA Pellet 5 minutes

When you use QBrew, you have to input the hops part of the HME in the Hops section at 1oz. and for 5min.

in the datdbase:
the "Grain" entryshould be 3.750lbs 1.038gravity 3.0*SRM
the Hops are 1oz at 37.0%

"RageKage" post=370838 said:

1 oz of Falconer's @ 60
1/2 oz Cascade @15
1/2 oz Cascade @ 0

Am I going overboard?

Did you make this? 1 oz at a 60 minute boil on top of the already hopped malt extract would make a very bitter beer.

No. I'm brewing tomorrow and I think I am going to scale it back to a 1/2 oz. at 30.

Has anyone got to try the white el Diablo Blanco ipa yet. Mine has been in bottles for 1week.

Made my step up from the El Diablo Blanco today.
Imperial White IPA. SG 1.086

Bottled mine on 5/4/13. Was dying to try one so I put one in fridge two days ago. Bottles are clear but hazed up when I poured even though I left trub in bottom. Did use frozen pint glass though. Brewed exactly per El Diablo Blanco IPA recipe and WOW!!! Plenty of hop flavor for me.

Bottled mine on 05/20, FG got down to 1.014 and the sample tasted pretty good too.

So today marked 24 days in the LBK for my variation on this one.

I added 1/2 pound of extra light DME instead of the LME softpack the recipe calls for.
Did a 25min boil of 1/2oz Falconers Flight and another 1/2oz dry hop 16 days in.
OG was 1.079 originally, though I topped up the LBK some and brought it to 1.069.

FG today came out to 1.012, which kind of surprised me considering the average number posted and my last experience with T-58 bottoming out at 1.018 in a 1.071 OG beer.
Might have been that I kept it around 72 the last week? Who knows.

Cold crashing now, bottling this weekend. If I had to throw a dart in the IBU board I'd guesstimate around 45-50ish, which is very subjective.

I did pick up on the FF hops in the smell, not sure about the taste, though having never used FF it could be in the taste somewhere with the coriander and lemon I'm picking up.

Figure I'll crack one open the end of June, though it may be a little young for a July 4th cookout.

Recipe Characteristics Recipe Gravity 1.085 OG Estimated FG 1.021 FG
Recipe Bitterness 90 IBU Alcohol by Volume 8.2%
Recipe Color 6° SRM Alcohol by Weight 6.4%

Ingredients Quantity Grain Type Use
0.75 lb Briess DME - Pilsen Light Extract Extract
0.25 lb CaraPils - [body, Head] Grain Steeped
3.75 lb Mr. Beer/Coopers Seasonal White IPA Extract Extract
Quantity Hop Type Time
0.50 oz Citra - Musky tropical fruit and strong citrus make this a great flavor/aroma hop very fruity Pellet 22 minutes
0.25 oz Falconers Flight 7 Cs - tropical, citrus, floral, lemon and grapefruit tones Pellet 7 minutes
0.25 oz Falconers Flight 7 Cs - tropical, citrus, floral, lemon and grapefruit tones Pellet 22 minutes
0.50 oz Falconers Flight 7 Cs - tropical, citrus, floral, lemon and grapefruit tones Pellet dry hop 8days
0.25 oz Mosaic - earthy, grassy, herbal, citrus, cedar, floral, pine, tropical, onion/garlic, spice and stone fruit Pellet 17 minutes
0.25 oz Mosaic - earthy, grassy, herbal, citrus, cedar, floral, pine, tropical, onion/garlic, spice and stone fruit Pellet 7 minutes
1.00 oz Mr. Beer/Coopers White IPA Pellet 5 minutes
Quantity Misc Notes
0.25 unit Corriander Seed Spice Crush then add 10 minutes before flameout
0.25 unit Lemon Zest Yeast
1.00 unit Safbrew T-58 Dry Ale Yeast Yeast Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Last Hydro reading on Saturday was 1.023 right where it should be from QBrew. Sample tasted awesome!

Todays hydro reading 1.016! 9.3%abv 80% attenuation!!! 72-75* during fermentation

After 4weeks in bottles I tried the El Diablo Blanco IPA and I have to say its not ready to drink yet. Very sweet it had good color it was a clear beer with good head but way to sweet to drink. I will let this go for another few weeks and try another one I hope it's ready for the 4th of July party.

I tried one this weekend, at about 2.5 weeks. Really liked it, still not really an IPA but that is fine by me. Have two more in the fridge now, hopefully they are as ready as the first one. :party:

Here is my second pour. Have had three of these now, and two of them were very good the other was still a little green.

BDBFCFD2-2587-4F4A-8104-99E2E6FCB44F-470

That's a very nice looking brewski! Great job!