Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Boe1971

Pitching bottle trub yeast?

Just a random thought as I sit here at work. Let's say it's brew day. I have steeped my grains, boiled my hops and stirred in my extract. All the while i have been drinking a few homebrews, let's say I've had 6 beers. Could i just swirl the trub around in the bottles and dump it into the wort versus pitching a packet of yeast? In theory it would work, but it might take a while to get going. Anyone ever try this or hear of it being done? I'm not going to do it, just got to thinking about it and got curious.

You could, but it would be major underpitching. However, you can make a starter with bottle dregs, and pitch that - I've done this with success.

For your home brews, you can get a whole lot more and better quality yeast by harvesting from the fermenter at bottling time. Also, if you bottle condition with table sugar or dextrose, those yeast are now somewhat "trained" to eat those very simple sugar molecules. They may have a hard time switching over to eating the more complex maltose in wort. For the same reason, you don't use table sugar to make a yeast starter.

Some folks will harvest bottle yeast from commercial craft brews that are bottle-conditioned when trying to make a clone of that beer. Sometimes that works, sometimes not (because some breweries ferment with one yeast and carbonate with another). Best to have multiple bottles, start small, do a stepped up starter, and be very sanitary.

"Boe1971" post=364504 said:

Just a random thought....let's say I've had 6 beers. Could i just swirl the trub around in the bottles and dump it into the wort versus pitching a packet of yeast? .

It would make sense to me that adding the bottle dregs to the last 5 minutes of the boil would benefit your beer more, and of course you would still need to pitch some real yeast too.

I find the low pitched whir that stir bars make when spinning starters very relaxing, sometimes I have 2 going at the same time too, the sound is soothing like the bubbling sound an active airlock makes. You could use the bottle dregs and starters to eventually step up the cell count high enough to ferment your beer, but that would take about 14 days using nutrients and a stirplates. So that pretty much shuts down any ideas about pitching emptied beer bottle yeast on brewday.

"russki" post=364523 said:

You could, but it would be major underpitching.

OK, then let's suppose I've had... say 15 or 16 beers? :laugh:

"Boe1971" post=364746 said:

Um...this is hypothetical...right?

"Gymrat" post=364773 said:

"Boe1971" post=364746 said:

Um...this is hypothetical...right?

Umm, yeah... hypothetical. That's right... :whistle: