Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RangerDanger

Cider Questions

So I'm definitely a beer drinker first and foremost. But in the spirit of trying something new, I wouldn't mind trying the hard cider recipes that recently became available from MB. Anyone try these before? Can you brew it in the beer kegs? I don't really want to buy an extra keg just for that. If I'm buying another keg, it's gonna be a beer keg! Does the cider need to condition similar to beer? Or is it ready to drink soon after fermentation? Any other input would be appreciated.

Hi RangerDanger, fellow Autinite here, kind of, Lago Vista.

The moderator from Mr. Beer had a post on here the other day that said he had been getting a lot of e-mails about the cider.

He said you can make cider in the LBKs and you can make beer in the LGKs (little green kegs?) :laugh:
as long as they are kept in the dark.

I have seen a lot of cider stuff posted on here since I joined and it seems like there are a bunch of different recipes and if I remember the cider takes a bit longer than beer to be ready.

I can't figure out why there isn't a separate section on the forum for cider, it sure would be handy.

I have been wanting to make one also but I don't know of a good "craft" version to buy as a taste test.

I've done a few ciders in the LBK, no problems. Works just fine.

Thanks for your response. I honestly didn't even look for an answer to my question first. I just posted in haste right before I left work. Ill have to look around more for some answers.

And good to hear from a fellow central Texan! How long have you lived in Lago? I'm originally from East Bernard (another small 2A school). When I was in HS we would always see you guys at the regional golf tournament or occasionally meet in baseball or basketball playoffs.

"RangerDanger" post=365400 said:

Thanks for your response. I honestly didn't even look for an answer to my question first. I just posted in haste right before I left work. Ill have to look around more for some answers.

And good to hear from a fellow central Texan! How long have you lived in Lago? I'm originally from East Bernard (another small 2A school). When I was in HS we would always see you guys at the regional golf tournament or occasionally meet in baseball or basketball playoffs.

Since 2006, they are very proud of their athletics program out here.
Ever been to Sodolak's Beefmasters when you were in College Station? Maybe my favorite restaurant on the planet.

Have you tried any commercial ciders you would recommend?

Depends on what you are looking for in a cider. For a dry cider, Strongbow or Magners is the way to go. For a sweet cider Woodchuck is the best bet.