Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
FLOutlander

Hello All!!! Fermenting my first batch!

Greetings All,

I was given a Mr. Beer kit for my birthday last week. I must admit I never considered buying one myself, but as I watched the instructional DVD I got very interested. Needless to say, I've been reading a lot since then. My kit came with Grand Bohemian Czech Pilsner and Aztec Mexican Cerveza. The Pilsner is in the LBK right now going on 3 days. I will let it do its thing for a total of 14 days, then taste and bottle. Conditioning will be another 14 days minimum, then a few to chill. Can't wait to try that first sip!!! :party:

Next I will do the Aztec. I can't find a lot of reviews for this one. Any of you care to share your thoughts on the Aztec Mexican Cerveza? I'm thinking about possibly adding a cup of honey along with the can of HME. Then letting it ferment 21 days before bottling. Any suggestions? I rehydrated my yeast for the Pilsner, and plan on doing it again with the Aztec.

After that, I think I will try my hand at the West Coast Pale Ale. I get the feeling this is going to be a very fun little hobby. Cheers!

hi welcome! if i was you i'd just brew the first few straight so you'll know what to expect. then go all mad scientist.

[attachment=12968]welcomebeer_2013-04-23-2.gif[/attachment]

+1 to Jim Johnson
Taste em before u change em ... 3wks LBK, 4wks bottle at 66-75
then chill and enjoy! The first few suck to wait for but soooo worth it!
That's one noob to another!

Welcome to the obsession!

You're gonna love the obsession! Stick around, there's a lot of good advice and comraderie here!

First off; hello and welccome to your new obsession (you poor devil, you :lol: ).

Secondly; You're not gonna find a place anywhere in the world where you can find more information about home brewing than right here. (Sometimes we answer questions that haven't even been asked.)

Thirdly; Like Jim J. said: Take it slow. Patience is the most important ingredient you can put in your home brew. Do a few Mr. Beer recipes "straight up" then start experimenting. If done correctly Mr. Beer products make some outstanding beers. But once you learn more about what makes a good beer better you can - and will - go on to making some incredibly fantastic beers using Mr. Beer products.

There really are no right ways or wrong ways to make beer. But there are good ways and bad ways. With time, patience and experience - not to mention asking any number of questions of the members of the Borg - you'l learn how to make some truly world class beers.

Hello and welcome to the borg. You came to the right place to learn how to make great beer. Read, ask questions and have patience and you will make good beer.
:chug: Good Luck and Happy Brewing :chug:

Welcome! I'm new to the borg myself - a great place for information, I've found so far.

Search and Read, Search and Read, Search and Read, Search and Read

Brew you first beers to gather a baseline and get the process down.
As it has been stated many times in the past here.

Experiment after you know what it should taste like.

Once you know, Then let the Obsession begin.

Welcome to the Obsession, easily addictive, extremely satisfying!
:cheers:

Welcome to the :borg: lots of useful information here and plenty of people to help you out along the way. Your first few batches may not be desirable but they will be enjoyable because you made them.

[attachment=12982]Welcome01_2013-03-23_2013-04-24.gif[/attachment]

1. most important advice do not follow MR B's instructions, you will only be disappointed
2. follow the BORG's :borg: :borg: :borg:
A) ferment 21 days if after 21 days its tastes like warm flat beer bottle
B carb for 14 days then let condition at room temp for at least 14 more days better yet 21

The above steps will give you the best beer possible from the MR B kits Brew a few before modding the mup get the basics down

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center FLOutlander. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
We're all here for the beer...and a few other things...We are BeerBorg.

Welcome...soon well in about 6-7 weeks you will be drinking your new obsession, after a few by the book recipes..you may want to start experimenting. The Guys and Gals here are the greatest, always willing to help, with a good recipe or advice.

+100000000 to the 21 day fermentation, also if you do not own one get yourself a hydrometer..not only will this tell you if your beer is done fermenting, it will also help you guage your ABV.

Relax and enjoy

Welcome to the Borg! There are loads of advice here on the Borg and more than 20 people willing to share that advice! (Kidding, everyone here is super helpful!) I will echo the advice given so far, if you can stand to wait, you are better off fermenting for 21 days and conditioning at least 28. It makes the beer taste that much better.

As for your Aztec Cerveza, I will say this: it was my first beer. I liked it a lot. I am not a fan of the style of beer, but the MB version is much better than Corona or any others. Very drinkable.

Wait on adding adjuncts like honey to your beers, for two reasons:
1. You can make some nasty beer if you are not familiar with malt to adjunct ratios.
2. The honey may not have the effect you think it will have. It won't add any honey flavor, it will just increase alcohol content, but will also lengthen the amount of time the off flavors need to condition out.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the tips / links you've provided. Very helpful, indeed. I just checked on my LBK and it seems the fermentation has only just begin. The first 24 hours were the most impressive, with lots of Krausen forming on top, even leaving a ring around the top of the LBK. After that first day, things slowed down a lot, with minimal bubbles (truly tiny in size) rising slowly to the top with little fanfare. But then I check on it this morning, and oh my goodness! Lots of bubbles, much bigger than before, rising rapidly from the trub. The wort has cleared considerably, but the yeasties seem to have really woken up at this point. :banana:

Definitely going to leave this alone for the full 3 weeks! Then cold crash for 2-3 days before bottling, and 4 weeks to condition.

Welcome aBorg and glad you've joined our obsession.

The first thing I did was register my kit on the Mr. Beer site and I got a coupon which I promptly used on 2 more LBKs (Little Brown Kegs) so I could start building my pipeline.

Since it takes a while for beer to condition getting those LBKs rotating will help you build up a nice variety.

Also you will need bottles and a lot of us buy true craft brewed beers to taste different beer styles and learn what we'd like to brew in future. Here is a link:

Beer Style Guidelines

I got a lot of beer gear by searching Craig's List and buying from fellow home brewers.

Have fun & :cheers:

Guest System Admin

I will let it do its thing for a total of 14 days, then taste and bottle. Conditioning will be another 14 days minimum, then a few to chill.

My advice is to not follow this pattern.

3 weeks LBK fermenting (unless you have a hydro and can check the gravity)
4 weeks in bottles at room temp
3-4 days in fridge before drinking

Trust me and the 1000 years of brewing exp on this forum......the way you noted won't give you the best beer you can have.