Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tbwrangler2000

Beer Labels

Does anybody here know how i can make my own beer bottle labels? I dont want to spend to much and just want something simple to identify my beers.

Cheapest option: Marker on your caps. It's what I do.
Someone else makes little tags on strings they place around the neck of the bottles.

+1 to jive...I use these labels. I got them at Staples. There is a 1000 in a box for about $6.00. I write the name of the beer, the bottle date and the ABV on them and stick them on the cap.

+1 on numbering the caps and keeping a list on the beer fridge.

If I give bottles away I may make a nice label, but personally after the pita removing the labels the last thing I want to do is put another label on it only to remove it down the road.

But if you want to jazz them up a little with an actual label, you can go right here.. There are a couple of designs that are free. You can use an Elmers glue stick to put them on the bottle. When your done, just run the bottle under hot water and the label will come right off.

What I did was create a simple label in Microsoft Word. You can create a chart and set the label size. Type in your beer stuff and print out on printer paper. I use an inkjet, which isn't great and the ink runs if wet, but the way I see it is the label won't be around long anyway. Attach with glue stick and you are good to go.

[attachment=12974]Beerlabel.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12975]Beerwithlabel.jpg[/attachment]

Its pretty simple, didn't take a lot of time, effort or money.

+1 on Microsoft Word. I found a picture for a background (skiing), then set it up with info I wanted on it like ABV, description, cost... I have a spreadsheet with all my brewing history, made a tab called beer labels, and I do a mailmerge to combine the data. I print them on a black and white laser due to my cheapness, 6 to a page, and then cut them and stick them on with a glue stick. Given that only a few close friends see them, that's good enough for me. I also put the beer name on the cap with a marker to make them easy to find in the frig.

The ____ refrigerated date is then filled in when I put them in the frig, so I can see how long they aged. If I rotate stock, I cross it out and write the number of days it was in the frig, so when I again refrigerate it I know how long it was at room temp.

[attachment=12976]labelexample.JPG[/attachment]

In those rare circumstances in which I think one of my brews needs a fancy label, I resort to GIMP to do all my photo editing and graphics. It's a pretty easy to use and free software. Like others, just print on regular paper (laser printer preferred) and apply as you wish. I use a laser printer and milk. Milk works great. But I'm pretty lazy so I only label about one out of every 5 batches or so. The rest just get a sticker on the cap.

[img size=400]http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s478/oikoeco/HomeBrew/BeerLabel_ASPHINCTERSAYSWHAT_zpsb7da4d2d.jpg

[img size=400]http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s478/oikoeco/HomeBrew/6EFBCAAB-58EA-4D20-8006-E1820A785F6B-1676-0000005FE62901A7_zpsc4c70a59.jpg

[img size=400]http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s478/oikoeco/HomeBrew/BE724293-2B8F-4704-8AD7-C1E1C15C4FE4-10359-00000485BFD5B7A7_zpse6127350.jpg

Not as cheap as labeling the caps, but I use a Brother label maker that does 2 lines so I can have the name and abv and/ or ibu on the bottle. Its less time consuming and they can be reused for another batch of the same beer.

Here's my method. These are 16oz swing tops, but for 12 ounce bottles, I use a piece of twine to hang these around the neck of my beer.

Granted, it's a bit time consuming, but I swear my beer tastes way better with a nice label on it.

I actually have a Wheat and a Red Ale fermenting now. I am excited to start naming and creating labels for them.

[attachment=12977]beer-labels_2013-04-24.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12978]bottle-necks_2013-04-24.jpg[/attachment]

I use beerlabelizer.com for my original AG recipes. For the Mr. Beer recipes, I just use 2X4 mailing labels and write the name of the beer and the bottling date on them with a Sharpie.

sharpie on the bottle cap. just lists the fermenter used, date brewed, date bottled. The rest of the data can be found in the brew book.

nice lables every one ,,,, our printer works off my wifes lap top,,, so ,,, duct-tape and black marker works for now,,, :popbeer:

Creating reasonably attractive labels is one bit of the fun that I have in brewing, with my avatar being from one of them. To me, a pack of avery labels was not too expensive at the local office supply store. I created a table in MS Word that aligns with the labels, 8 to a sheet. I search Google for photos for the theme of what I'm brewing, usually remembering to include "public domain". Then I add my name for my recipe using the Paint program in Windows, and put it in the Word table along with a text box with the brewing date and OG, bottling date and FG, and the ABV, then copy that to the table's other cells. When a batch of bottles is empty, a soak in Oxyclean Free gets the labels off.

I also bottle the first couple and the last few (trub) bottles in used plastic Coke bottles, as early samples, and just put address labels with the same info. I don't remove these, and when there are a few, the bottle goes in recycling.

"tbwrangler2000" post=365975 said:

Im going to check out beerlabelizer.com thanks guys

I signed up for the $5 to use all the labels, then changed IP address and now can't access all labels. Attempts to contact them have been futile.

I use these Removable Labels as they come off the bottles nice and clean. And about $20 for 1000 labels is a good deal. If they labels get wet, they won't come off cleanly until you let them dry out again.

For the label designs, I use Labeley with the square shape. I import the image into the word processor with a label template loaded. The first couple of batches I did I stretched the image which wasn't the greatest look. To keep from stretching the square image to the rectangular label, I create a second image box that has some guidelines on how to keep the trub out of the glass.

Beerlabelizer.com when I wanna show off.
I used small peel and stick labels and a Sharpie for a while, but they kept falling off.
Then, I used colored dots on the cap and put the brewsheet with the corresponding color on the fridge.
Now, it's a Sharpie with the brew, brew date and bottle date on the cap! LOL!! B)

Avery 5247 round labels work best for me. They are 1" diameter and fit the cap perfectly. Avery has a template for them. Since I condition the bottles in a box I can see only the caps.
Avery has also a bit cheaper round labels, 5465, but they are smaller 3/4".

I don't use labels unless I want to show off when I bring beer to outside functions. I use MS Word and print on Avery removable labels. Here's one I just made from a "pirated" pic off the Borg:

angelresized.jpg[/attachment]

I've used beerlabelizer.com for all my brews. The first one my wife went all fancy with and printed it out on a glossy finish label paper. It made putting them on a heck of a lot quicker, but the ink ran on some of the labels during printing so I had to pick and choose the best ones. My second brew I made the label on the website and just printed it off on a laser jet printer at a kinkos. It took time to cut them all out and then I pasted them on the bottle with a little milk, but they came out looking good too.

Here are the results, the Pale Ale was the glossy label paper, the Cherry Wheat is the regular paper.

Even though I changed IP addresses, Andy of beerlablizer came through and reinstalled my premium membership so I still have access to all labels. Got to love customer service!!

Using IP address to verify you are a premium member is poor design for two reasons:

1) You can't use it when you're not at the location you originally signed in with. That would preclude mobile devices not on your wifi and traveling.

2) Your IP address can change. Rebooting your cable modem could give you a different IP address.

+1 for beer labelizer, I just printed out some labels for my 2 batches that are going right now.

I may eventually switch to "hello my name is" stickers and try and find a way to put them in a printer for consistency's sake to put the brew name on there but I need to come up with clever brew titles first.

That is the only reason I can think that they register a Premium User, rick. I can not completely access using my firefox but can when I am on IE by clicking on the verifying email everytime I want to use the program. Just glad that I am getting my $5 worth of access anyway I can. I do appreciate that Andy was willing to refund my money since access was lost.

"RickBeer" post=367907 said:

Using IP address to verify you are a premium member is poor design for two reasons:

1) You can't use it when you're not at the location you originally signed in with. That would preclude mobile devices not on your wifi and traveling.

2) Your IP address can change. Rebooting your cable modem could give you a different IP address.

At this point I forgo the label and just do custom bottle caps.

bottlemark.com lets you design your own caps (import from your own files if you like) and they charge just 12 cents per cap, no minimum order. I've ordered about 200 caps from them so far and the quality is great!

I made these labels on beerlabelizer.com for the 1776 Ale I bottled yesterday. The red for 12oz bottles and the blue for 16oz.

[attachment=13264]1776ale2a.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=13265]BeerLabel4a.jpg[/attachment]

Micro word and a glue stick. Its cheap and you can write what you want. Im going to invest into colored paper once I get a line up of go to beers.

[attachment=13268]Picture0015.jpg[/attachment]