Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
dsotmoon

hello, i'm in trouble

Hello all, I am in big trouble, I am trying homebrewing for the first time and I already can tell this will be something I'll do the rest of my life, my poor wife already see's the $$$$ signs I'll want to spend :ohmy: :party:

She bought me a basic kit for fathers day a couple of years ago and the kit sat since then, I was actually about to put it on ebay to try to sell it, but I decided to give it a try, the yeast was even out of date by a month with the HME (american light) that came with it but I decided to go through the steps to see if I would enjoy it, well i did and I ordered a couple more fresh refills, a bewitched amber ale is in the LBK now, almost 2 weeks now, i think i will shoot for 3 weeks after doing alot of reading here

i have already ordered a second LBK and will be starting a diablo IPA soon

I look forward to reading a lot, asking questions and contributing when I can, thanks in advance for the help and experience you guys put forth

Joe

Welcome aboard Joe!

This is truly a worthy obsession!

Keep posting, ask all the questions you want and read the yellow sticky posts when you find them...

The Brewing 101 section of this site os also helpful!

Happy Brewing!

:)

Welcome. From here on, there's no turning back.

Welcome. Once you start there is no turning back! You will strive to make better and better beers as you go. Just remember the 3-4 method (3 weeks lbk, 4 weeks carb/condition all at 70F) and you'll be golden. I find that 1 week carb followed by 1 week conditioning per 1% abv seems to be work well for beers up to 6%abv otherwise add an additional 2 weeks per abv% above 6. ie if you have a 6% abv beer expect to carb/condition for 7 weeks minimum. If u have a 7%abv beer expect 9 weeks minimum carb/conditioning.

Guest System Admin

Save the aggravation....just go buy three more fermenters now.

LOL

Welcome to the obsession. My wife got me my first Mr Beer kit for Xmas too and she is regretting it now. Not really she loves that I found something that I really can enjoy and grow it and with. Not to mention she gets to reap the benefitx of homebrew!

Haha. Just remind her she bought you the kit. I agree (above), get a couple more LBKs. Wait for an e-mail/survey from your last order, it will be a 10% off coupon. Then you can tell your wife how thrifty you are.

I got sucked into the borg quick. but just another 8 quart bottles and another can to brew. spose it won't be long and I'll need another LBK :cheers:

Actually, just tell your wife that you'll keep this hobby down to about $10 per week, staring with the day she gave you the starter kit. That's $520 per year, and you've had the kit for, did you say a couple years? So if you spend $10 per week for the next 52 weeks, along with the $1040 you've been saving up since you got the kit, you have $1560 to spend total. That should not be a problem, right?

Joe: Welcome to "THE ADDICTION"

and remember the 3 Commandments of brewing:

Sanitization, Patience & SWMBO (you already obey her since you brewed in her gift)

Brew on fellow brew-soldier

i have already ordered a second LBK

[attachment=12999]Obsessed_2013-04-25.JPG[/attachment]

Your doing fine.
All you need now is:
At least 2 more LBKs
A hydrometer (actually 2 they have issues)
A good thermometer (don't scimp on this item)
About 6 cases of bottles (more is better)
Bottle caps (2 lb bag should be a good start)
A bottling wand
A capper
A bottle brush
Some hop sacks and grain bags
A slimline (or 2)
An auto siphon
A cooler for each LBK (for sesonal brewing)

Let's see Joe, have I forgotten anything? :laugh: :laugh:

"Brewbirds" post=366067 said:

Your doing fine.
All you need now is:
At least 2 more LBKs
A hydrometer (actually 2 they have issues)
A good thermometer (don't scimp on this item)
About 6 cases of bottles (more is better)
Bottle caps (2 lb bag should be a good start)
A bottling wand
A capper
A bottle brush
Some hop sacks and grain bags
A slimline (or 2)
An auto siphon
A cooler for each LBK (for sesonal brewing)

Let's see Joe, have I forgotten anything? :laugh: :laugh:

thanks for the welcome everyone! I already have a hydrometer i got at the local brew shop, another box just showed up today from MB with a case of 12 oz plastic bottles (i'm sure i'll go to glass soon), some more one step and carb drops. I think my wife will "let" me spend about 30.00 every two weeks, next order may be some UME LME and another LBK and....... ???

i keep my house about 68-72 year round which should be good for most brews i'll do but i found myself at home depot today looking at mini wine fridges with adjustable thermometers, we'll see where that goes :lol:

the patience part will be hard but i can do it! i think! :sweat:

thanks again!

Ya welcome to the obsession.My wife got me the kit for x-mas and here I am 4 months later with two lbk's refills,and now I'm on to 5 gallon recipes. :cheers:

Welcome to the Obsession, easily addictive, extremely satisfying! :cheers:

Welcome! I'm a newbie as well. There's a great thread on here about DIY temp controlled fermentation chambers that are significantly cheaper than wine coolers and you can use a full size fridge if you want for multiple lbk's. I'll be putting one together shortly as I live in fl and its about to get hot lol

I'll go find the thread and post it for you

"dsotmoon" post=366156 said:

I think my wife will "let" me spend about 30.00 every two weeks, next order may be some UME LME and another LBK and....... ???

I'd fork out the $6 for a bottling wand, personally.

[attachment=13021]Beercloset.jpg[/attachment]

I was able to brew in my beer closet at a pretty steady 66F like this.

I placed a frozen ice pack under a towel moistened with refrigerated water and covered it with heavy duty aluminum foil to trap the cooler temp next to the LBK.

It works great until the ambient temps get into the eighties at which point I moved to coolers and switched to a Mauribrew yeast.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep brewing through a Central Texas summer. :cheers:

Edit: The bottles on the left are store bought craft beers of different styles I call them Patience. The bottles on the right are my slowly growing pipeline, I call those Perseverance. :laugh:

Don't do new for the fridge. Craigslist can get you all sorts of deals. The largest of the mini fridges can hold two lbks. And you can pick them up for 50-75 bucks easily. Add a temp controller and you'll have better control of your temps for less than a new fridge. I don't think a lot of the wine fridges can get into the mid to upper 60s, which is where you'll want to be quite often.