Mr.Beer Community
JimH

Finally, 'Murican Wheat Ale!

Well, after being super busy the last couple weeks and not being on the Borg a whole lot, I finally have some time to brew up my 'Murican Wheat Ale!

'Murican Wheat Ale

Recipe: 'Murican Wheat Ale Style: American Wheat Beer
Brewer: JimH Batch 2.5 gal
Extract

Recipe Characteristics:
Recipe Gravity 1.039 OG Estimated FG 1.010 FG
Recipe Bitterness: 23 IBU Alcohol by Volume: 3.7%
Recipe Color 7° SRM

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Type Use
0.25 lb Crystal 40 [steeped]
2.50 lb Munton's Wheat DME Extract

Quantity Hop Type Time
0.50 oz Mt. Hood Pellet 30 minutes
0.25 oz Falconers Flight Pellet 15 minutes
0.25 oz Falconers Flight Pellet 5 minutes

1.00 unit Fermentis US-05 Dry Ale Yeast

sounds good! a little hoppy but not too much, good wheat beer. should be great on hot summer days.

I'm hoping it turns out the way I want it to. It seems a little dark, though. The wheat DME seemed to be really dark, even pre-boil.

I have had the same problem with wheat dme. I made a wheat beer a while back with wheat dme and it turned out to be a slightly darker than normal wheat beer, although it tasted fine. And I used the late extract addition in hopes of having it darken less.

"yankfan9" post=366468 said:

I have had the same problem with wheat dme. I made a wheat beer a while back with wheat dme and it turned out to be a slightly darker than normal wheat beer, although it tasted fine. And I used the late extract addition in hopes of having it darken less.

that's what i did with the last one i made (drinking now) the color appears to be right on the mark. yellow like hopville said it would be.

I started with 1lb in the pot. It was dark even then. Did the 30min boil, added 1.5 lbs.

An update for anyone who is interested in the progress of my brew, I tried a small sample the other day. It was pretty good! If you are not familiar with Falconer's Flight hops, the grapefruit aroma is awesome. Really pleased with the results of the aroma add.

Now for the downside. Yankeedag imparted some wisdom on me, telling me you learn a lot from your first original recipe, and I did. It didn't turn out exactly how I wanted. I was looking for a slightly more bitter wheat beer with some awesome citrus notes, and the grapefruit. In my search for slightly more bitterness I added the Mt. Hood to the recipe. Playing in qBrew I got the IBU target I wanted. What I did not pay attention to was placing my Mt. Hood and FF additions too close, and perhaps not enough time for full flavor from the FF. The result was still good, and I am still happy with the beer so far, but I think I left room for the Mt. Hood to mask the grapefruit flavor profile I wanted. Next time I will pay closer attention, either leaving out Mt. Hood entirely, or cutting the amount down a few grams and pushing it out further away from a flavor boil. I still look forward to bottling and drinking a delicious beer, but the learning experience was invaluable.

Even though it didn't turn out exactly as you hoped, you've got a basis for a product you know you want.

The same goes for the Gremlin Heiferweizen that Gizmo and I did up for the RCE. I think the hops are good as far as bitterness and flavor, but I was expecting a little more tangerine so next time I'll probably use more tangerine peel and a little bit of the juice to get it where I want.

Works in progress!

Are you familiar with Summit? They are supposed to be tangerine as well. We have them in a Blonde almost SMaSH but it isn't ready yet so no first hand data available.

Say... don't you owe us a Power Point presentation? ;)

Thanks, Phil. Definitely a work in progress. I learned from my mistakes and I think I still made an awesome beer! Since I know wheat beers are one of my favorites I know I have the basics and a platform for what I want. The lessons learned will translate to all my other brews as well.

And as far as the PP, if anyone really wants to see it I will try to post it. I am not at home for the next couple days, but I can. There isn't much to it. I spent most of the time talking, with just a few pictures and main ideas on some slides.

I can say from personally tasting this that it's a fantastic brew! Absolutely delicious, great for the hot weather.

after a chat, decided to post the grain bill for my AG conversion of this.. i tried to keep the ratio of wheat to barley the same as the munton's dme that the original recipe used.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 1.93 gal
Post Boil Volume: 1.82 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 5.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.5 %
Boil Time: 30 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 41.2 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 41.2 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 3 11.8 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.9 %
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 13.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Falconer's Flight [11.60 %] - Boil 15.0 Hop 6 8.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Falconer's Flight [11.60 %] - Boil 5.0 m Hop 7 3.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 4 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 6.38 qt of water at 165.1 F 155.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 0.97gal) of 168.0 F water

after the boil, pour the wort into the fermenter, topping off with water to 2.5 gallons (top of the Q)

"philm00x" post=371846 said:

Even though it didn't turn out exactly as you hoped, you've got a basis for a product you know you want.

The same goes for the Gremlin Heiferweizen that Gizmo and I did up for the RCE. I think the hops are good as far as bitterness and flavor, but I was expecting a little more tangerine so next time I'll probably use more tangerine peel and a little bit of the juice to get it where I want.

Works in progress!

Two things that I wanted to point out that I feel are worth mentioning, substitute CaraPils for the Crystal 40L will make the finished beer lighter and add just a .25 ounce of Summit directly to the kettle before it starts boiling to prevent excessive foaming. The early kettle addition followed by late flavor and aroma additions that make up the remaining IBUs, will add more of the grain flavor to the finished beer.

Although your recipe sounds like a good one if you keep tweaking it until you get just the right balance of color, flavor and taste you'll be a happy brewer.

"Screwy Brewer" post=383547 said:

Works in progress!

Two things that I wanted to point out that I feel are worth mentioning, substitute CaraPils for the Crystal 40L will make the finished beer lighter and add just a .25 ounce of Summit directly to the kettle before it starts boiling to prevent excessive foaming. The early kettle addition followed by late flavor and aroma additions that make up the remaining IBUs, will add more of the grain flavor to the finished beer.

Although your recipe sounds like a good one if you keep tweaking it until you get just the right balance of color, flavor and taste you'll be a happy brewer.

ok i'm confused, my noob butt has a question. i get the carapils over the crystal good idea as i like my wheats light. but gonna brew it straight the frist time, for a baseline. i sorta understand the early hop addition for bittering and reducing foaming. i don't understand why not just use a little more mt hood pre boil? won't it be boiling too long to add to the flavor profile, only to the bitter?

"Screwy Brewer" post=383547 said:

Works in progress!

Thanks for the input Screwy, I like all the criticism I can get. My initial taste tests were actually quite different from the final product. The CaraPils is a good idea. Originally when I came up with the recipe I wanted to use CaraPils, or even just a C10. But my Amber Ale I wanted C60. When I got to the LHBS and I started picking ingredients, I got to the point where I stretched my budget, so I decided C40 would work for both recipes. It was an on the fly decision that may have gone against better judgement. Although, I will say with the upped hops I put in, including high AA% Falconer's Flight, the C40 helps this wheat beer stand up to it. This recipe is good the way it is, but CaraPils will be my choice for other wheats in the future. I like the Screwy Recipe for the 420 wheat. That might be the next one I try.

Like JJ, I am also a little confused by your suggestion of the Summit.

It's a brewer's little secret that had been shared with me several months ago, and also discussed right here before that too. Using FWH will give you a smoother bittering but reducing that bittering to just a fraction of the IBUs will actually reduce foaming in the kettle during the boil while adding to the grains flavors.

The remaining IBUs are added by using later hop additions and this lets more of the grain flavors come through so they're not hidden by too much hop bitterness. In short you still want to have the same IBUs in the finished beer, but you rely more on later hop additions to get them.

I've been doing this for several months now and have fully adopted this method into all of my recipes with great results. What I like the most about this is each glassful of beer has a nice hop aroma and flavor when you drink it but in the finish, as you breath out through your nose, you get a nice balance of grains too. This really makes for a more complex finish that tends to linger on your palate between sips.

That sounds pretty good. I will have to give FWH a try. Sounds like you get the IBUs without the punch in the mouth bitterness...

i picked up the dme and 05 yesterday to brew Jim's extract version this week and i'll brew Phil's ag version next week. then i'll be all out of ff.

"Jim Johnson" post=386260 said:

ok just got done don't know what happened but my og was .059 not .039

Looks like JimH's recipe is for 2.5g, did you not add as much water as he did?

Maybe you are just way more efficient of a brewer? Was your recipe the same? I did also use a Munton's wheat DME which was I think 55% barley, 45% wheat. Normally I think its the other way round, not sure how that affects OG. Could also be qBrew poked me out at .039, but I didn't have a hydrometer, so I don't know what my actual was.

Although, Phil did hit .039 if I am not mistaken.

1.049 was my OG doing this one all-grain. The munton's wheat DME is 55% wheat, 45% barley, where briess is 65% wheat, 35% barley. The expected OG for the AG version I did was 1.047. An OG of 1.059, did you use DME to try to make up for lack of efficiency? If you did, then it seems your technique has definitely improved and you probably hit the expected OG without needing to add any DME to the wort.

This looks like a good recipe for my first stab at a recipe w/o HME, but I'm not sure if my LHBS has falconers flight. Heck its not even in qbrew, or on the borg's hop reference chart.

Are there any other suitable replacement hops?

Falconer's Flight is a blend of "C" hops, so you could probably use some cascade, centennial, etc. You can buy FF from farmhousebrewingsupply.com in a 4 oz packet for like 5 bucks or so, and their shipping is cheap. Best to try to get FF instead of trying to make a blend yourself as the ratios and types of hops in the blend are not published. Otherwise you can just use another hop all together and it'll be a different brew.

What he said ^^. FF is a special blend by (Hop Union, I think) blended as a special tribute to a guy named Falconer. There isn't really anything too similar, except maybe Amarillo(?). But the FF is pretty awesome. Try finding them, you won't be disappointed!

"JimH" post=386302 said:

Maybe you are just way more efficient of a brewer? Was your recipe the same? I did also use a Munton's wheat DME which was I think 55% barley, 45% wheat. Normally I think its the other way round, not sure how that affects OG. Could also be qBrew poked me out at .039, but I didn't have a hydrometer, so I don't know what my actual was.

Although, Phil did hit .039 if I am not mistaken.

that's what my lhbs carries munton's the only change i made was to use 3 lbs cause i can't buy in the half lb size. according to beer smith that should've given me a .053. my boil off was not as much as i thought so i actually had a qt left over after filling to the top of the Q.

Ahh, ok. Yeah, I did the 2.5 pounds because I was using a half pound for my RCE brew. You will have to let me know how it comes out with the full 3, because I might stick with that since it comes in the 3lb bags.

I made philm00x's ag version yesterday but mashed 75min @ 150 due to phil's stuck ferment thread. my OG was 1.040. I seem to be stuck on .040

08f51510f7ce11e2ad2b22000ae80c6b_7.jpg

Murican Wheat AG with some Ropa Vieja (literally translates to Old Clothes), which is a Cuban dish of slow cooked roast or flank steak (steak in my case), pulled and shredded, then simmered in a tomato based sauce. Served over white rice. It was delicious! My AG reproduction nailed the flavor, with the mango note I love from the FF hops.

That looks delicious Phil!! I bet it went great with the beer! It looks like you got more of a wheat beer color out of it than I did. Probably just from the extract I used being slightly darker. It looks pretty good!