Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Big ol beard

First batch. Have questions.

Sorry for the long explanation, any advice would be appreciated. So I started my first batch about 5 1/2 weeks ago. I'm am gonna go over some of the things I did which I think I may have done wrong. First of all this was my first ever batch, it is a cowboy golden lager and I did no research before starting this batch. I didn't even know about these forums until after I started it. Anyways I went off whatever the mr beer booklet said to do. When making the wort I added 2 cups white sugar to the wort as what I got out of the booklet is that adding more sugar will give the final product more alcohol content, but now I'm wondering if that's incorrect and I misread it. Secondly I left the batch in the fermenter for 2 weeks let it carb for 2 weeks and then moved it directly to the fridge for cold conditioning. What I understood from reading online is that you want to do that with a lager but after reading into it more people were saying that all mr beer yeasts are ale yeasts and it doesn't matter that the beer title says lager. Anyways I was wondering if it was a bad idea to cold condition instead of room temperature condition. It has been in the fridge now for about a week and a half I tried some just now and it has good carbonation but it tastes kind of cidery and sweet. Should I leave it in the fridge longer or put it at room temp?

All the sugar is going to do is thin it out, adding abv but no flavor. If you wanted to gain extra abv a better choice would have been to use lme or dme.

The general rule of thumb is three weeks in lbk and four weeks in bottles all at room temperature before it even sees a refrigerator.

Mr Beer likes to mix and match the terminology a bit but the HMEs are most definitely ales.

Welcome to the group I would pull it from the fridge and let it condition at room temp for a few more weeks. They say here to leave in LBK for 3 weeks and condition 4 weeks at room temp. Not real sure on adding suger to the wort that's a new one to me but their are people here that can answer your question a lot better then me.

Welcome....glad your hear. I've got a good buzz on right now, so I'm not gonna try to answer your question, cause it wouldn't make any sense.

But with a name like that....your avatar picture better have a ZZ Top type beard in it!! :woohoo:

"BlackDuck" post=366480 said:

Welcome....glad your hear. I've got a good buzz on right now, so I'm not gonna try to answer your question, cause it wouldn't make any sense.

But with a name like that....your avatar picture better have a ZZ Top type beard in it!! :woohoo:

Hope you didn't drink both bottles of that Enjoy By. That 9.4 bomber size will put you away for awhile. :woohoo: