Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest System Admin

hefe - whens it best?

Guest System Admin

i had an aggressive ferment once it got going. its been in the bottle carbing for 5 days and the bottles are solid. there was a constantly fizzing ring of bubbles at the surface.... and im eager to break into a bottle even though i only have 11 one liter bottles.

i did a 3 week ferment. my final gravity i think was 1.016 and i did 3 coopers carb drops to a 1l bottle.

for those who brew hefes, what the earliest you would wait to crack one open?

i have brewed quite a few hefs and the earliest i open them is 2 weeks in the bottle seems to be just fine then. :cheers:

I've tried them early (10 days in the bottle) and I've let them condition a while.

Both are acceptable, but I'm finding the extra conditioning mellows the esters a little.
My last one was brewed Feb. 2 and bottled Feb. 19. It came in a little heavy on the ABV @5.6%.
To me, it's really getting good now!

I always try a beer 1 week in the bottle. But I do 5 gallon batches and use 12oz bottles so I can afford to "waste" one. If I only had 11 bottles I would wait a minimum of 2 weeks.

"teutonic terror" post=366646 said:

I've tried them early (10 days in the bottle) and I've let them condition a while.

Both are acceptable, but I'm finding the extra conditioning mellows the esters a little.
My last one was brewed Feb. 2 and bottled Feb. 19. It came in a little heavy on the ABV @5.6%.
To me, it's really getting good now!

Good to know 'casue my 6.0% was done in March around the 11th and it still isnt ready.