Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Trumpetus

Three weeks and still foam on top

Have a batch of Baby Got Bock that's been in the LBK for three weeks at 54 F. Today was going to be bottling day but there is still foam on top - not a lot, just some. Didn't take an OG reading so don't know if checking with a hydrometer now would tell me anything useful.

This recipe uses the liquid yeast and colder fermenting temps, so would 4 weeks be a more realistic fermenting time? Should I wait until the foam is gone?

Don't use the Foam as an indicator (other than fermentation may be going on). Use the hydrometere, take the reading, and then, take it again in two days. If it's stable, your ready.

If you used lager yeast, it moves slower than ale yeast, and would benefit from a diacetyl rest (warming it up to 60-65F for a few days). Take a hydro reading.

Unless you have a stuck fermentation, as long as whatever the reading is now does not change over 3 days, it is done.
The best way to get an estimate on what it should be would be to plug your recipe into qbrew which is free software.

"Darth Trumpetus" post=366620 said:

What should the reading be? I didn't take an OG reading, or does that matter in this case?

Looking at the recipe, it should finish around 1.016 or so.

It read 1.050. There is trub in the bottom, but that number seems way off. Saw another thread on this recipe where the readings were like mine and a D-rest was suggested as well as re-pitching the yeast.

"Darth Trumpetus" post=366681 said:

It read 1.050. There is trub in the bottom, but that number seems way off. Saw another thread on this recipe where the readings were like mine and a D-rest was suggested as well as re-pitching the yeast.

Sounds like a stuck fermentation. Lagers require a lot more yeast than ales, so you probably majorly underpitched. I would suggest picking up a pack of Saflager 34/70 or S-23 and re-pitching, since in 3 weeks you only got down to 1.050.

I think so. The whole packet isn't actually a whole lot of yeast compared to the volume of wort, the SG is still pretty high, and your issue seems to be too little yeast. I have the impression that it's pretty hard to overpitch yeast enough to be a problem.

"pspearing" post=366701 said:

I think so. The whole packet isn't actually a whole lot of yeast compared to the volume of wort, the SG is still pretty high, and your issue seems to be too little yeast. I have the impression that it's pretty hard to overpitch yeast enough to be a problem.

What he said.

I would also do a D-rest and rehydrated some s-23 yeast. Seems to be stuck or what temp did you pitch the yeast at maybe too high ?

Not sure what the temp was. I did cool the wort down after a short hop boil and added cold water, but it still may have been too high for this yeast.

I'm letting the temp come up slowly for a rest. Yeast should be here in a day or so. There is a fair amount of trub in the bottom of the LBK so they were feasting for a time.