Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
GoBucks64

Accessories

Hi, I'm just getting started. What accessories are worth purchasing from Mr. Beer and what can I do without? Is it worth buying a scratch and dent kit to be able to brew two batches at a time?

I bought a bottle capper and caps because I have several cases of large glass beer bottles left from brewing through a brew-on-premises place years ago. I was thinking about the bottle washer spigot attachment.

Also any feedback about the carbonation tabs vs. sugar primer?

THX EVERYONE

First and foremost get a hydrometer. It's the only true way to tell your beer is done fermenting and will be something you will use forever! The bottle washer is great and does a good job at cleaning the bottle crystal clear.

As far as the scratch and dent sale if you want to get a second LBK just spend the $10 for the LBK alone. If you want to build up any kind of decent pipeline you'll want at least 2 LBK's, but in actuality 3 or more is ideal. It just depends on how much your planning on drinking.

If they still have the recipes in the scratch and dent sale get some, it's a great price and in truth most of the cans end up dented in transport anyway. Hope this helps, good luck!!

EDIT: As far as carb tabs vs sugar goes, if your going to bottle carb, carb tabs are easier. If you are going to batch carb (which gives you a more consistent carb) then sugar is the way to go.

As I get experience I'll probably want to batch carb. Do you do it in the barrel?

I plan on continuing to drink a lot of beer. :chug:

What do you mean by the recipes with the scratch and dent? It comes with lite beer starter.

"GoBucks64" post=367298 said:

As I get experience I'll probably want to batch carb. Do you do it in the barrel?

I plan on continuing to drink a lot of beer. :chug:

No you can do it in a spare LBK. All you do is on bottling day you transfer your fermented wort into the spare LBK adding the sugar (dissolve the proper amount of sugar into a cup of water) water. Then just bottle from that LBK. Easier than adding sugar to every bottle and every bottle will have the same carb!

EDIT: Sorry they were offering some recipies earlier, they must have sold out.

"GoBucks64" post=367301 said:

Cool. How do you know how much to add to a 2.5 gal batch?

Go to this site:

http://www.thescrewybrewer.com/

It's a page run by one of our own and you can use the priming calculator to figure the proper amounts as needed. It even shows the recommended amounts for each style of beer.

I like the bottle washer attachment. A hydrometer is essential. I just ordered a scratch & dent kit, making more LBKs than I care to admit (they work well for batch priming, too) and I'll use the 2 refills. The stick-on thermometer isn't critical (I put my LBKs in a big cooler with a remote reading thermometer), but I think it's handy to tell when the wort is at the right temperature for pitching the yeast. That's what I think is most useful.

I've been priming with white sugar. I haven't used the carbonation tabs, but I have used Domino Dots sugar cubes and they work well and are a tiny bit easier than measuring the sugar, even with Mr. Beer's sugar measure. I have the sugar measure, and it's handy but the dots are easier.

That's my non-humble opinion.

Welcome--it's nice to have you with us!

BTW, welcome to the forum, take sometime and look around. There is alot of Info here that will help you make better beer!!!

"k9dude" post=367294 said:

First and foremost get a hydrometer. It's the only true way to tell your beer is done fermenting and will be something you will use forever!

If you follow only one suggestion this it. Why it is not included is beyond comprehension

The bottle washer is great and does a good job at cleaning the bottle crystal clear.

Nice but you can get by without it invest in a good sanitizer Starsan Iphodor etc

As far as the scratch and dent sale if you want to get a second LBK just spend the $10 for the LBK alone. If you want to build up any kind of decent pipeline you'll want at least 2 LBK's, but in actuality 3 or more is ideal. It just depends on how much your planning on drinking.

If they still have the recipes in the scratch and dent sale get some, it's a great price and in truth most of the cans end up dented in transport anyway. Hope this helps, good luck!!

EDIT: As far as carb tabs vs sugar goes, if your going to bottle carb, carb tabs are easier. If you are going to batch carb (which gives you a more consistent carb) then sugar is the way to go.

I would make sure you download QBrew & the MR B database. Get good books on brewing. Also get the biggest pot you can. A lot of use go beyond what MR B offers. When I started I never thought I would do anything but straight up MR B kits. That lasted 1 batch. In less than a year I switched to doing only All Grain. Get the best equipment you can afford because the odds are you will spend more upgrading then if you bought the better & bigger equipment to begin with. Also learn about yeast, get the book yeast. Yeast is probably the easiest way to improve your beers

Guest System Admin

Oh and if "GoBucks" refers to Ohio State, quit rooting for them and convert to MICHIGAN!!!

All of your beer will taste better.

* wicked laugh *

"Wings_Fan_In_KC" post=367399 said:

Oh and if "GoBucks" refers to Ohio State, quit rooting for them and convert to MICHIGAN!!!

* wicked laugh *

how can you live with yourself tellin' lies like that? ;)

Guest System Admin

Lies??

What lies........?

Mwah-hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!

* wicked laugh *

Don't worry about him, he's harmless. I've got your back around here. O-H....

"BlackDuck" post=367413 said:

* wicked laugh *

Don't worry about him, he's harmless. I've got your back around here. O-H....

I-O!!

[attachment=13087]images_2013-04-29.jpeg[/attachment]

Welcome a :borg:

If you haven't registered your first Mr. Beer kit online you might want to do that. They sent me a coupon in the mail and I used it to get 2 more LBKs.

A bottle tree and vinator would probably be money better spent than the Washer/Spigot because you can use it to sanitize and to dry bottles when washing.

Make sure the hydrometer includes a sample tube
A bottling wand
About 2' of tubing (3/8"??)
An auto-siphon
A bottle brush
A thermometer
A slimline is great for batch priming, fits better in the fridge if cold crashing more than one batch and they are a bit cheaper than the LBKs + shipping
For bottle priming the mini sugar cubes (i.e. Dominoe Dots) are cheaper than carb tabs and super easy.
Hops sacks or tea balls
Paint strainer for a grain bag
Oxi Clean Free for cleaning LBKs and bottles
Seventh Generation Natural Dish Liquid has no dyes or perfume
Star-San for sterilizing everything
A large container and chemical resistant spray bottle for the Star-San
A scale for hops
A scale for grains
Yeast nutrient
I probably forgot some stuff but that should get you started.
I also search Craigslist and look for fellow home brewers that might be selling their stuff.

:cheers:

"GoBucks64" post=367428 said:

I-O!!!

Did someone say I-O-W-A?!?!?!? GGGGGOOOOOOOOO HAWKEYES!!!!!!!!

[attachment=13093]th_2013-04-30.jpg[/attachment]

"Jim Johnson" post=367410 said:

michigan better than ohio state?
[attachment=13085]ohiostateandmichigian.jpg[/attachment]

That is the ultimate in CHILD ABUSE turning kids into Wolverine :evil:
& Buckeye :evil: fans...

where the hell is CPS when we need them.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

"GoBucks64" post=367292 said:

Hi, I'm just getting started. What accessories are worth purchasing from Mr. Beer and what can I do without? Is it worth buying a scratch and dent kit to be able to brew two batches at a time?

I bought a bottle capper and caps because I have several cases of large glass beer bottles left from brewing through a brew-on-premises place years ago. I was thinking about the bottle washer spigot attachment.

Also any feedback about the carbonation tabs vs. sugar primer?

THX EVERYONE

Get yourself a Vinator for bottle sanitizing and definitely a Hydrometer. And a minimum of 3 LBK's for pipeline building

Bought 3 more LBKs and some sanitizer but I don't like the reviews of the Vinator. I might still buy one depending on how much of a pain in the ass sanitizing is.

Per everyone's advice I ordered a hydrometer.

THX

Oh boy...one of the "Little Eight" talking smack...

Well I hope you have better luck brewing beer than Ol' Kirk has with running backs...

Based on feedback from all of you here is what I just bought. I may swap one or two items.

Qty Product Name (Part Number) Unit Price Discount Ea. Price Ea. Total
1 Stainless Steel Bottle Washer (31080) -
$10.95 $0.00 $10.95 $10.95
1 Bottle Washer Faucet Adapter (31085) -
$3.49 $0.00 $3.49 $3.49
1 Nylon Bottle Brush (31075) -
$2.95 $0.00 $2.95 $2.95
1 Bottle Drainer Tree (31070) -
$29.95 $0.00 $29.95 $29.95
1 Hydrometer & 10" Sample Tube (31017) -
$10.49 $1.05 $9.44 $9.44
1 Sugar Measure (31040) -
$1.95 $0.00 $1.95 $1.95
3 2 Gallon Fermenter (Beer Keg) (41010) -
$10.00 $0.00 $10.00 $30.00
1 BTF Iodophor Sanitizer (80312) -
$3.95 $0.00 $3.95 $3.95 :gulp:

About me:

You may have gathered that I'm indeed a dyed-in-the-wool Buckeye. I grew up in Napoleon, OH, but have lived in New Jersey and Pennsylvania since about 1989. I'm currently a source of irritation to all the Monotony Lions fans here in the Easton, PA area. I have brewed before with friends at a brew-on-premises place in Freehold, NJ, which was great, but they have brewmasters to ferment it for you. This is my first foray into home brewing. I'm a bit of a do-it-yourselfer and I like making things (and drinking beer) so I expect to really get into this. I've been into craft for a while and I needed a hobby which is less strenuous than previous pastimes like mountain biking, etc. and infinitely more rewarding.

My first batch, the American Lite, is currently bubbling away downstairs. I've already got some Patriot Lager and Witch's Amber HMEs lined up to brew as soon as I get my new LBKs. I'd love to try a weissbier for the summer too. Depending on my success I'm sure I'll branch out into recipes, grain, hopping, etc. like you old pros.

Thanks for all the welcomes, advice, etc. Prost!