Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mxstar21

Great News at Mr. Beer!

My second(?)brew club order ships Monday, it does say I should get the savings on the Pumpkin Porter kit I ordered. I'll have to wait and pay all the bills we owe and then I may be able to order.

Vic

:cheers:

Maybe someone can help a relative newcomer who's never made a recipe before, just refills. I'm debating between 2 dark recipes: Snow Drift= HCCD + Creamy Brown, or Monkeys Dunkel= VL + Creamy Brown. Suggestions please.

norman1 wrote:

Maybe someone can help a relative newcomer who's never made a recipe before, just refills. I'm debating between 2 dark recipes: Snow Drift= HCCD + Creamy Brown, or Monkeys Dunkel= VL + Creamy Brown. Suggestions please.

They would both be dark and malty. If you like dark and not very hoppy they would be good choices. If so, welcome to the dark side. If not choose other ume's. Either way welcome to the brewing family.

Sham Addams wrote:

norman1 wrote:

They would both be dark and malty. If you like dark and not very hoppy they would be good choices. If so, welcome to the dark side. If not choose other ume's. Either way welcome to the brewing family.

Thanks. Why do they call them "Balanced" instead of "malty or hoppy?"

norman1 wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

norman1 wrote:

Thanks. Why do they call them "Balanced" instead of "malty or hoppy?"

I appologise norman1 I had not realized that both recipes had added cascade hops.
I always agree with them when at all possible. I was just giving my humble opinion. I believe that HCCD and especially VL are lightly hopped. I believe that the creamy brown is rich and malty. If you use the creamy brown you brew will be dark. What ever recipe you choose, it will be delicious.
Hoppy brewing.

I have done, and in fact will be bottling this weekend, a few variations of the Snow Drift. I think HCCD and Creamy Brown is an awesome start, and whatever you tweak from there will all be good.

I think in general, MB stuff is "maltier" and "less hoppy" than what all newbies think, and I think there are two reasons for that. First, it is just higher quality, relative to what most store bought stuff is, since most store bought stuff is actually bitter and watered down crap anyway. Second, most newbies, myself included, consider Hoppy to be Bitter. This is not true -- hoppy CAN be bitter...or floral...or flavorful...or aromatic. Depends on what you do with those hops.

Instead of calling it maltier, just call it better tasting. B)

David

David, I think you have a decent point here. This is my finding after the batches I have made. I like Mr Beer beer better than a heck of a lot of beer I find at the store. I find that Mr Beer doesn't all taste the same...where MANY storebought beers all have the same taste. In fact, I find a lot of Sam Adams beer all tastes the same no matter which recipe it is. I have yet to find a Mr Beer that tastes the same as another Mr Beer.

Irishmon

SiriusDG wrote:

I think in general, MB stuff is "maltier" and "less hoppy" than what all newbies think, and I think there are two reasons for that. First, it is just higher quality, relative to what most store bought stuff is, since most store bought stuff is actually bitter and watered down crap anyway. Second, most newbies, myself included, consider Hoppy to be Bitter. This is not true -- hoppy CAN be bitter...or floral...or flavorful...or aromatic. Depends on what you do with those hops.

Instead of calling it maltier, just call it better tasting. B)

David

pay day can't come any sooner. :)

and, btw, nice avatar Aminal. looks like somebody else's who frequents the site. ;)

MiniKupe wrote:

Esheppy was right on the money with his timing...

Good to know that I was not the only one to notice that. If anyone wants to know when the next big sale will be: right after my next beer club order!
:dry:

Sham Addams wrote:

:( What of poor Black Tower Porter, Pilothouse Pilsner, and Bohemeian Czeck Pilsner they have no recipe. :(

Just wait, they often have 20% off on the premium refills. I bought several a few months back.

I just put in an order for some recipes, if you choose carefully, it's a great way to pick up some favorite HMEs and UMEs at a nice discount.

For instance, I ordered 2 "Cletus the Lionhearted" so I could get the Linebacker Doppel Bock and the Creamy Brown UME and some Cascade hops at a discount. I have no intention of making that brew, I'll be using it for some HHB custom brews.

Then, to further sweeten the deal, I did over $100 and get free shipping!

:chug:

mxstar21 wrote:

Twenty percent off on all recipe kits until Aug 10.

Ugh. And I had just ordered 2 kits just a few days before your announcement.

HopHeadBrewski wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

:( What of poor Black Tower Porter, Pilothouse Pilsner, and Bohemeian Czeck Pilsner they have no recipe. :(

Just wait, they often have 20% off on the premium refills. I bought several a few months back.

I just put in an order for some recipes, if you choose carefully, it's a great way to pick up some favorite HMEs and UMEs at a nice discount.

For instance, I ordered 2 "Cletus the Lionhearted" so I could get the Linebacker Doppel Bock and the Creamy Brown UME and some Cascade hops at a discount. I have no intention of making that brew, I'll be using it for some HHB custom brews.

Then, to further sweeten the deal, I did over $100 and get free shipping!

I have taken advantage of the free shipping before and it is a really good deal. But I am still using my Harbor Freight clearance kits. They have challenged my recipe skills, in a good way.

I have many HME's left over from the BB&B Christmas sale too. Nice to have some more HME's and LME's to mix and match. Hopefully I'll have them all brewed by January, when I'll do it all over again and get 9 more kits for 1/2 price!

BrewOn Beer Borg! :chug:

I'm not sure how this will scale, but here are the numbers for the stock AD IPA recipe:

Enter 91.5% for the yield
Hop Alpha 10%
Hop weight .3 oz.
Per extract weight 1.21 lbs
Type extract
SRM 10

If you plug in 2.42 lbs of AD IPA in a recipe, you get pretty close to the MB numbers.

Also, be sure to set your batch size to 2.13 gallons and the boil size to 1 gallon.

Uh Mr. HopHeadBrewski I think you wanted this post over at Beersmith Early Review. :blush:

HopHeadBrewski wrote:

I'm not sure how this will scale, but here are the numbers for the stock AD IPA recipe:

Enter 91.5% for the yield
Hop Alpha 10%
Hop weight .3 oz.
Per extract weight 1.21 lbs
Type extract
SRM 10

If you plug in 2.42 lbs of AD IPA in a recipe, you get pretty close to the MB numbers.

Also, be sure to set your batch size to 2.13 gallons and the boil size to 1 gallon.

Saw your Avatar earlier Fryler. I found mine by just putting in beer avatar in a search engine, can't recall where I found it.

V