Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
eboucher30

American Porter

I'm looking to brew a straight up Porter. I'm going to add 1 lb of dark malt but I'd like to change out the coopers yeast for a true porter yeast. Any suggestion of what anyone uses?

eboucher~

I looked through a few clone recipes listed at Austin Homebrew. Here are the yeasts I see:

Yuengling Porter - WLP830 German Lager
Stone Smoked Porter - WLP002 English Ale
Sierra Nevada Porter - WLP001 California Ale
Smuttynose Robust Porter - WLP002 English Ale
Longtrial Imperial Porter - WLP001 California Ale
Rogue Mocha Porter - WLP051 California V
Founders Porter - WLP001 California Ale
Hoepfner Porter - WLP830 German Lager
Stone Darth Porter - WLP820 Oktoberfest/Marzen Lager

That's just an example, but it looks to me like there's no real "special" yeast.

12A. BROWN PORTER

Ingredients: English ingredients are most common. May contain several malts, including chocolate and/or other dark roasted malts and caramel-type malts. Historical versions would use a significant amount of brown malt. Usually does not contain large amounts of black patent malt or roasted barley. English hops are most common, but are usually subdued. London or Dublin-type water (moderate carbonate hardness) is traditional. English or Irish ale yeast, or occasionally lager yeast, is used. May contain a moderate amount of adjuncts (sugars, maize, molasses, treacle, etc.).

==========

Based on the English or Irish Ale yeast note - There is WLP002, WLP005, and WLP007

WLP007 is my personal go-to.

==================

White Labs English Ale WLP002

This is a classic ESB strain that originated from one of England's largest independent breweries. This yeast is best suited for English-style ales, including milds, bitters, porters, and English-style stouts. This yeast will leave a beer very clear, and will leave some residual sweetness.

White Labs British Ale WLP005

This yeast is a little more attenuative than WLP002 (English Ale). Like most English strains, it produces malty beers. It is an excellent choice for all English-style ales including bitter, pale ale, porter, and brown ale.

White Labs Dry English Ale WLP007

This is a clean, highly flocculent, and highly attenuative yeast. It is similar to WLP002 (English Ale) in flavor profile, but is 10% more attenuative. This eliminates the residual sweetness, and makes the yeast well suited for high gravity ales. It reaches terminal gravity quickly. 80% attenuation will be reached even with 10% ABV beers.

I brewed my Mr Beer Porter with 1 pound dark DME and used the yeast that came with the can. Tastes great, nice body. Fermented at 64 df for 3 weeks and in the bottle for over 6 weeks at 64 -66 df. I also added some malto-dextrin (4 oz I think).