Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mexicant

largest brew in a lbk

Tough to say, some beers can overflow at the 2.13 gallon mark, some won't at the top of the "Q", which is about 2.5 gallons. Safely I would say somewhere in that range.

+1 to JimH.

Anything over 2.5 gallons is risking serious overflow. However, the Borg cannot guarantee you won't get overflow under that number either.

Basically...fill her up and wait! Then let us know how it went!! Haha

Hi Mexcant, could you please clarify something.

Are asking asking about the most as the volume of liquid or the "biggest" beer?

I ask because in a lot of threads about pot size some of the all grain brewers talk about not being able to brew "big" beers in some of the smaller sized kettles they have.

I have seen many posts where one Mr. Beer would spew krausen out of the lid while others would hardly do anything.

We have done some batches that we filled to the top of the Q on the back of the LBK and most just to the 8.5 mark and none of them breached the lid with krausen but I don't think any of them would have been called "big" beers. (Which I would like to if I can get away with it.)

Yes, the largest batch you can safely brew in a LBK is 2.5 gallons. If you wish to brew more, either buy a 5 gallon kit or more LBKs and spread out the brew over multiple LBKs.

i've brewed several 2.5 gallon batches in mine. got 2 of 'em going now. only had overflow once.

Brewbirds~

Bravo. Nice question. No one else thought about that.

A) The biggest you can brew for an LBK is 2.5 gallons.

B ) The biggest I (personally) have brewed in an LBK had a 1.106 OG. A very nice, thick Barleywine. I believe you could probably brew a Barleywine of most anysize...but you have to be sure to focus on balancing it with enough hops to even make it drinkable. By definition, an American or English Barleywine can have an OG up to 1.120...but once you start pressing the "big" limit to 9, 10, 11 % ABV...you just gotta be making sure you balance it so that you're not drinking something the consistency of glue.

What do you mean by "large"?

Volume or ABV?

Volume = most folks typically don't go higher than 2.5 gallons.
ABV = the sky may be the limit. I've heard of folks getting close to 10% ABV from LBK-sized batches. Of course, there are some 'special considerations' that need to be made for those higher ABV brews.

As far as volume goes, it really depends on wort composition and your yeast choice. I've had

Doesn't the answer depend on what you consider "unsafe"? Krausen overflow that drips into a pan or cooler doesn't do any harm, so I don't consider that to be unsafe, just messy. If the vents under the lid are open that's the worst that's likely to happen. A while back someone said they had the lid blow off the LBK, but it seems likely that in that case the fermenter was sealed (the vents blocked, maybe with dried krausen) because the pressure rise from fermentation should be gradual enough for excess to bleed off through the vents. Given the design of the LBK, it seems unlikely that it would actually explode.
People do brew 2.5 gallon batches all the time, with no adverse effects.

I've got 5.25 gallons divided between two LBKs right now.
I filled them almost to the top of the circle, above the "Q".
By the circle, I mean the back of the LBK!
Didn't have a Ale Pail available and I didn't want 3 LBKs about half full!
They've been fermenting for four days now.
I am fermenting at 62F and I do have minor overflow on both of them.

Sorry I was not clear. I meant batch size, but thank you for the interesting discussion you're question led to.

"pspearing" post=368199 said:

Given the design of the LBK, it seems unlikely that it would actually explode

One of my batches had been spewing out the lid for a day, and at some point plugged the vents and the lid did not come off. Luckily I noticed the "hissing/squeaking" that had been going on for a day had stopped, so went to see what was going on. The LBK had deformed to the point where the base had became curved instead of flat, and it would rock 10 degrees or so from side to side. It very well could have exploded. When I popped the lid, it blew krausen krap up to my ceiling. Was very exciting.

Now THAT'S impressive! It sounds as though a rupture of the LBK was possible. I wonder why the top didn't blow off first. Maybe glued by dried krausen?

Last year, when I brewed up the MrB "Cranberry Maibock" recipe, I had the lid blow off 3 times. On the third time, the lid broke into 3 pieces. Luckily, the borg came through and informed me that the lid of a 1/2 gallon Rubbermaid container would fit on the LBK. SWMBO be obeyed just happened to have one on hand. I'm still using that lid today.

Many things I would do differently if I were to brew up that recipe again.

Rick

Fermcap..................... will stop the foaming so all you have to worry about is will the spigot hold