Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
finsfan

JAMAICA MON!

I was looking at purchasing this refill and wanted to clarify a few things first. Since this kit comes with a patriot lager HME does that mean that i will need to lager this beer when fermenting? the directions say to ferment in 68-76 but as i am quickly realizing, mr beer instructions are not always 100% correct

You are absolutely correct that Mr. Beer instructions are not always full and complete. But in this instance...the "wrong" is in the use of the word Lager...not the temp.

All Mr. Beer products are intended to be Ales as opposed to Lagers. So, the use of the yeast and fermenting/carb/condition at Ale temps is correct.

You can...if you so choose...try to brew it as a Lager, but use your own Lager yeast. But what comes with the refill or recipe is an Ale.

Thats what i was thinking but just wanted to make sure i was not getting myself into something i was not prepared to handle yet. I will pay more attention to what type of yeast is being used also to help me determine fermenting temperature.

+1 to that. It is an ale. I did this recipe with a few mods and it came out great, not what I was trying for but really good none the less. I called it my JPA no problem mon.

To clarify, there are some recipes on Mr. Beer's site, which include refills and other ingredients, that come with lager yeast. However, all of the standard and craft refills come with Mr. Beer yeast and are ales, as are the vast majority of the recipes.

Just started a batch of this today. I was considering adding a little lime juice after a week or so in the keg. I generally let it sit in the keg 3 weeks before going into the bottles. Any thoughts?