Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
eurotexan

Banana Wine

Today I had a friend who hooked me up with over 24 lbs of bananas. I immediately ordered yeast to make a banana wine which will arrive Monday morning. I decided to start the recipe today so the bananas would not go bad. All is ready now... Just waiting on the yeast! My question is how do I best preserve it while waiting 4 days for my yeast to arrive? Your feedback is much needed & appreciated!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Bananas stay fine in the refridgerator until needed. The peels turn brown from the cold air but the fruit itself will stay as ripe as when you put it in the fridge.

I actually already boiled them, extracted the juice & carried out the full recipe... My question is ... How do I best preserve the LIQUID at THIS stage... BIG THANKS!!!

Add some crushed Campden tablets (1 per gallon of must), leave sulphited must out for 24 hrs, then refrigerate until ready to pitch yeast. Allow it to come to yeast's recommended temperature prior to pitching. This should keep it from getting infected.

"Pitched Wine yeast then after about 5 days pitched Champagne yeast."

it's the second yeast perhaps he's just trying to make it "dryer"

Quick yeast question. I have a couple of mr beer recipes, Jamaica Mon, Howling Red, and Octoberfest deluxe that all use the standard yeast from mr beer. If i substitued say US 05 yeast for the mr beer yeast, will this make a big difference in taste?

I have a couple of batches now that still have the slight sweet flavor even after fermenting for 3 weeks and bottle carbing for 4 more. Also I used a bit less than the recommended 6 TBSP for carbing, 3/4 teaspoon per 12 oz bottle times 24. I used only 4 TBSPs. Thoughts??

Thanks for your feedback guys... Much appreciated! Too funny on the 30,000 lbs of bananas video Rick... I needed a good laugh :-o