Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Sluggo

Better Bottle - Spigot

Has anyone drilled a hole in their better bottle and installed a Spigot? Seems like a good idea for bottling, but wanted to check with the Borg just to make sure I'm not missing something before I drill the hole.

Personally, I think you'd be better off using an auto-siphon to rack your beer. If you're doing five-gallon batches, it's time to think about batch priming anyway, if you're not already doing that.

Besides, why adulterate and alter a perfectly good carboy? The potential for a mishap increases, since you'd need to retro-fit it for a spigot and get gaskets and whatnot, and that's more to monkey around with each time you clean it. Take the money you'd spend on the spigot and gaskets and buy an auto-siphon.

Just my opinion, and I'm not saying this can only end in tears, but there are better alternatives to putting a hole in your Better Bottle, sez I.

Guest System Admin

I've begun batch priming, and that's where my thinking began. Thought....put a spigot on the thing for ease of transfer to the secondary or bottling bucket. I think I'll go your route, as I've used an autosiphon once and it works pretty well.

Maybe this is what's got me thinking on this one....I am going to be brewing NB's Dead Ringer extract kit this weekend for National Brewing Day, while my buddy is doing the exact same recipe All Grain. It calls for 5 gallon brew, transfer to secondary for 3-4 weeks conditioning while also adding dry hops in last 1-2 wks, then transfer to bottling bucket for final priming. Whole lot of transfering...thought spigot to spigot might be a better play.

But your idea of just going Autosiphon is growing on me. Less chance of leakage or massive spill.

Do topped up LBK's hold 2.5 gallons? Maybe the final bottling step could utilize the LBK.

I'm trying to understand the recipe on this one...the long time in the secondary is what is causing the 3 vessel issue (don't think I'd take it off the primary otherwise...would just leave it in there for dry hop, but they are suggesting that 3-4 week secondary after fermentation)

What excites me most is the final taste test of All Grain vs. Extract. Wonder if there will be a tastable difference?????

I thought Better Bottle has a version with a spigot hole already in it.

"Bassman" post=368581 said:

I thought Better Bottle has a version with a spigot hole already in it.

They most certainly do. Here's what their FAQ says about drilling holes:

Can I port my plain BetterBottle Carboys? – BetterBottle PET is tough and tightly stretched, which is all part of what makes our carboys such excellent fermenters. However, it also makes them difficult to port. In order to function properly with a BetterBottle Carboy Adapter, the hole must be round and the edges clean. BetterBottle has tried to develop practical hand tools for porting, but all the tools tested so far have been too costly and/or require too much training. Offering a porting service is also not practical, because the cost of round-trip freight and handling exceeds the cost of a new, factory-ported carboy in the great majority of cases. At the present time, the best option is to purchase a ported carboy and use your plain carboy for some other aspect of your fermentation operations.