Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brewbirds

Sharing Bottling Day w/ My Fellow Newbs

I'm in a great mood today. :) I brewed another batch yesterday, bottled a batch today, fixed my brew kettle problem (and Phil still holds the lead). :woohoo:

So I have been seeing a lot of posts about bottles and bottling and thought I'd share my progress in hopes it would provide some tips or info for when you guys want to start using glass.

I'm going to do it in pictures and hope it encourages all kinds of questions and interest because that is how we learn and that is what the :borg: is all about.

So I am paying it forward:

First Bottles:

I got most of my bottles from searching Craigslist under beer bottles and Home Brewing.
To store them I got a my local grocer to save me empty six pack and case boxes.
Beer bottles come in many shapes and sizes but it is the lip of the bottle and quality of glass that you want to look for in a reusable bottle.

KitchenOrder.JPG[/attachment]

I'm a lefty so bottle tree left LBK center capping right works best for me.

[attachment=13211]BottleTreeVinator.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=13212]BottleWandOnLBK.JPG[/attachment]

A bottling wand with some (3/8" I think) tubing is a must for staying relaxed.

I move cd holders from front to back of the LBK as I bottle to try and keep trub out of the bottles.

[attachment=13213]BottlingWandonSteriTowel.JPG[/attachment]

I rest the bottle wand on a sterilized paper towel while I am capping.

Well no more pics allowed so I'll do a part 2.

Okay so this is going to look backwards but this is part two on bottling.

BrewGearOrganizers.JPG[/attachment]

Hope I have been able to help guys, I sure am having a blast and hope you will too. :cheers:

Since you have sooooo much time on your hands, I'm bringing my brew closet to BrewBirds....now what will I do with all my idle or is that idol time??????

great job and lovin' it

"T8r Salad" post=369342 said:

Since you have sooooo much time on your hands, I'm bringing my brew closet to BrewBirds....now what will I do with all my idle or is that idol time??????

great job and lovin' it

Wellll........Brew some more of course.

Bring it on, I love bottling day. :)

I don't miss bottling but you've got it down to a science. Nice and neat. Mega props to you!

Very nice. I wondered about selecting bottles and how to clean them... and the borg provides pictures! Very helpful post for this newb.

Well done! Everyone has their own methods and procedures, and yours seem top-notch. Seems they touch on all the vital things, like sanitizing and organizing your supplies and having your work space staged. Not everyone can or even should do it that way, but the value of this is that it can provide ideas that people can apply to their own situations.

That is some impressive organization. Compared to this, my methods are utter chaos. You are a true inspiration. I hope some of this rubs off on me.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I like your plastic totes marked "bottling" and "brewing", I think I'll copy that idea!

I'm very jealous of your beer closet! I have cases of beer sitting all over the place, no decent pantry or closet to use.

My brewing/bottling day is more chaotic as well. Mostly because kids parade through my kitchen and I'm constantly screaming, "please don't touch anything!"

Awsome you defiantly have it very organized. I'm also going to have to steal the rubber made crate idea from you. Maybe if I was more organized the wife would be more understanding of my new found love.

"TheGrove" post=369416 said:

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I like your plastic totes marked "bottling" and "brewing", I think I'll copy that idea!

I'm very jealous of your beer closet! I have cases of beer sitting all over the place, no decent pantry or closet to use.

My brewing/bottling day is more chaotic as well. Mostly because kids parade through my kitchen and I'm constantly screaming, "please don't touch anything!"

Yeah I'll have to do the tote thing too, and I only have on 2 yr old with sticky fingers....lol, my last bottling day was me nervous and telling my son to dont touch anything, just look, move!....etc I cant imagine how your day goes.

Kids and cats can be especially nerve-wracking during the brewing/bottling processes.

Fortunately, my son is 19 and isn't going to get in my way anyway. My cat, on the other hand....

Thanks for all the positive feedback friends, I'm glad this was so well received.

I have to say my brewing and bottling days are pretty stress free now that I have a system down and don't get nervous about making mistakes.

I love learning new stuff on our :borg: and incorporating it into my home brewing adventures. :cheers:

Nice work. Great to see that you both are having so much fun with this hobby. Awesomeness!!

Awesome! Love the brew closet! That is impressive! Also like the organization. Brewing forces us to be more organized (or at least think about being organized).

[attachment=13231]BrewbirdsTwoBeersnotready.jpg[/attachment]

Meet my co-brewer Brewbirds 2 - I have to keep telling him the beer is not ready to drink yet. :whistle:

I gotta look for those mini sugar cubes. I discovered today while bottling that the "standard sized" sugar cube doesn't fit into the neck of a 12 oz bottle. I spent a few minutes cutting cubes with a knife so they'd fit into the bottle.

I'll look for those bits of sugar that shot all over the kitchen counter and floor later. :laugh:

"JWB" post=370118 said:

I gotta look for those mini sugar cubes. I discovered today while bottling that the "standard sized" sugar cube doesn't fit into the neck of a 12 oz bottle. I spent a few minutes cutting cubes with a knife so they'd fit into the bottle.

I'll look for those bits of sugar that shot all over the kitchen counter and floor later. :laugh:

There is another brand called Dominoe Dots those are the only two that I know of.
You might have to check different store chains if yours does not carry them. :cheers:

I found the Mr. Beer sugar measurer helpful until I started batch priming, which I now do on every batch. I'm cheap at heart, and the sugar cubes cost a lot more than sugar from the bag.

"RickBeer" post=370171 said:

I found the Mr. Beer sugar measurer helpful until I started batch priming, which I now do on every batch. I'm cheap at heart, and the sugar cubes cost a lot more than sugar from the bag.

I also batch prime when Screwy Calc says one sugar cube won't cut it. But the mini sugar cubes are are so easy to use I'll pay for them and cut costs somewhere else.

No comment on the Mr. Beer sugar measurer. :whistle:

"Brewbirds" post=370172 said:

"RickBeer" post=370171 said:

I also batch prime when Screwy Calc says one sugar cube won't cut it. But the mini sugar cubes are are so easy to use I'll pay for them and cut costs somewhere else.

No comment on the Mr. Beer sugar measurer. :whistle:

Easy enough to use just scoop and dump, I use a funnel in the bottle and you don't even have to be that careful. If you think the scoop is a little too much, just do what I do. Fill it up, then shake out a little off the top and you have the perfect amount.

Normally I use the Mr. Beer sugar measurer and a funnel, but I was so enamored with the idea of dropping a sugar cube into the bottle that even when I discovered it wouldn't fit, I was too stubborn to give it up.

I used a sharp knife dipped in sanitizer to cut the cubes to size. Worked OK but I wouldn't do it again.

I found these for $7 each at Wally World:

[attachment=13267]storagebin.jpg[/attachment]

I bought 4 of them and store all my brewing supplies including LBK's in them. I can store 4 LBK in one bin, use one for bottling supplies (including 1 liter plastic bottles), one for brewing, and one for grains, priming sugar, extracts etc. They stack on top of each other so they take up less space and SWMBO is happy about that!!

"k9dude" post=370200 said:

I bought 4 of them and store all my brewing supplies including LBK's in them. I can store 4 LBK in one bin, use one for bottling supplies (including 1 liter plastic bottles), one for brewing, and one for grains, priming sugar, extracts etc. They stack on top of each other so they take up less space and SWMBO is happy about that!!

I have one of those to. I put iffy beers in it. I call it the bomb squad.

"Brewbirds" post=370210 said:

"k9dude" post=370200 said:

I have one of those to. I put iffy beers in it. I call it the bomb squad.

I put all my beers in a big igloo cooler during carbination. After 1 1/2 to 2 weeks I take them out and store them on a shelf. Never had a bottle bomb (knock on wood), but have always erred on the side of caution.