Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Boe1971

Question about making homebrew soda

I recently made a batch of root beer for the wife. I followed the instructions on the root beer extract to the letter but for some reason the root beer is flat. No fizz at all. Anyone here do their own soda? My recipe and method are below

2 gallon batch root beer
Hydrated 1/2 teaspoon of champagne yeast in 98 degree water
added 1/2 bottle extract and 4 cups table sugar to some warm water and stirred until dissolved
pitched yeast, topped off container to 2 gallons and bottled right away
let sit for 2 weeks, tried one- no fizz.
let sit 2 more weeks, tried another- still no fizz

Any ideas what i did wrong?

Never tried making soda. The first thing that comes to mind is the champagne yeast. I don't know why, but with my hard cider I didn't get any carbonation out of it, and that was echoed by others that had tried to make cider. Like I said, I am no expert, but it seems to me like the champagne yeast just doesn't carb that well. Perhaps others will correct my mistakes, but that is my gut feeling.

We have done 2 batches of Root Beer with great success. Our Root Beer was made from a Mr. Beer kit and also with Champagne yeast.
What Temp are they sitting at?
That would be my only thought on having carbonation problems. Ours sat at 70 - 75 degrees with very good Fizz.

Temperature is in the low 70s. I used champagne yeast in my cider and it was carbed (actually overcarbed).

Bad yeast. When you added to 98, did you immediately dump into the wort? If so, maybe rapid temperature change killled the little guys. Was the yeast active when you rehydrated?