Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
somethingclever

Estimating FG without OG?

As strange as it may seem, I have forgotten how long my 2 batches have been fermenting :ohmy: .Bottling day is either this Sunday or the next but for the life of me I cant remember which one (busy couple of weeks). I have a hydrometer now, I did not on brew day so I have no OG reading. So is there any way to get a ballpark estimate of what my FG should be? Perhaps Qbrew? (I have yet to find any of my ingredients listed in there though) or should I just wait the extra week and bottle then (assuming that an extra week wont hurt my brew)?

In the future I am going to write the brew date on the lbk, along with the OG reading as to avoid this problem.

I would recommend keeping a notebook with written info listing the date when the brew was made, the recipe you used, any changes you made to the recipe while brewing and the OG. You can add the FG when you are ready to bottle it to figure out ABV, etc. That way you don't have to remember all the details.

You can estimate what the OG was based on your ingredients, and Qbrew and other software programs can help with that. If you can give your best account of exactly what you put into this brew, including amount of each, and the level on the LBK, we can help you also.

"Joechianti" post=370274 said:

You can estimate what the OG was based on your ingredients, and Qbrew and other software programs can help with that. If you can give your best account of exactly what you put into this brew, including amount of each, and the level on the LBK, we can help you also.

It was pretty basic,
1 can American Ale HME ,1 Smooth UME and 4oz Booster filled to the 8.5 quart line ( I have yet to "calibrate" my lbk) I used the yeast that comes with the refill

I downloaded Qbrew a while back but I can never find any MB ingredients on there or perhaps I just haven't figured it out yet.

You need to go to Screwy's site. He has an ingredients addition for qbrew. Then you will have the MB ingredients.

if all your trying to do is figure out if it's ready. just take a reading and in 3 days take another. if it ain't moved bottle it. imo

Adding to the suggestions to get Screwy Brewer's database and use QBrew to estimate OG, QBrew is useful in its sections for recipe notes and batch notes. I put a variety of notes there.

I got the addition to qbrew from screwy's site and now it makes so much more sense. The estimated FG is 1.011 and my hydrometer reading was in that neighborhood (need to refine my hydrometer reading skills) I am going to check again this weekend and if nothing has changed/i get 1.011 I will bottle. Thanks for the help guys.

"somethingclever" post=370531 said:

I got the addition to qbrew from screwy's site and now it makes so much more sense. The estimated FG is 1.011 and my hydrometer reading was in that neighborhood (need to refine my hydrometer reading skills) I am going to check again this weekend and if nothing has changed/i get 1.011 I will bottle. Thanks for the help guys.

PackerDuf has a video for hydrometers and reading them on here somewhere buy I don't know how to link from one thread to another.

If some could post that for him? Or you can search by member name.

Mine kept leaning against the sample tube and it was driving me crazy I found out I wasn't putting enough liquid in the sample tube (it should float about an inch from the bottom).

Also if it helps I taste the sample instead of returning it to the fermenter so I use a piece of paper towel to get the foam off the top of the beer in sample tube before I take the reading, and I learned that you should spin the hydrometer (like a top) in the tube before you take a reading. :cheers:

I have BrewPal on my phone where I can enter and store all of my recipes. It estimates OG and FG based on ingredients and I can even enter in and save my observed actual OG and FG hydrometer measurements. I know some guys like to keep it old school and work with hard copy notebooks, but I've found this electronic record keeping invaluable. The only 3 things that I have with me 100% of the time are my wallet, cell phone, and wedding ring. :)

"somethingclever" post=370299 said:

"Joechianti" post=370274 said:

It was pretty basic,
1 can American Ale HME ,1 Smooth UME and 4oz Booster filled to the 8.5 quart line ( I have yet to "calibrate" my lbk) I used the yeast that comes with the refill

I downloaded Qbrew a while back but I can never find any MB ingredients on there or perhaps I just haven't figured it out yet.

Based on what you list here, it looks like a best guess for your OG might be around 1.045. I'm not sure if you wanted an OG only to tell when it was safe to bottle the brew or if you were hoping to calculate the ABV. As others have said, if you get the same reading a few days apart, and/or it tastes like flat beer and not sweet, you're ready to bottle. If you're looking to estimate the ABV, using 1.045 and 1.011 as "guesstimates", you'd be in the 4.4% neighborhood. All in all, I'd say you're in fine shape there.